MISSING: Ethics

feeder53

ADKtrails
Never would I think to keep an article that was found, no matter what it was worth. I have found large sums of money and valuable tools and a good number of other items and I always turn them in.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I found a $10.00 bill on floor of a supah mahket back in the early 70;s when i was 7 or 8!! was so happy,that was like 2 months allowance!! My mother made me turn it in to the courtesy booth!! There was an old woman there in tears looking for it!! It was her food shopping money for the week! She offered to buy me a candy bar for finding it,but my mother said NO!! She told the woman that my just reward was to do the right thing and we went on our way. I wasn't to happy with my mother that day but now as a grown man I realize how great a mom she was and taught me alot that day!!! then she made it worse and dragged me off to Mass!!!! Oh Irish catholic mothers,gottah love em"

Fnix

I have found 2 credit cards and turned them in. I am not even 21 yet. I know most kids would probably use them.

UPS Lifer

What I am telling you happened 36 years ago when my wife I got married. She ordered our silver through May Co dept. 12 - eight settings at close to $200 a setting. She ended up getting 12 settings. She returned 4 place settings! We were young with little money.

So the answer to your question is; Yes we would turn them in - No hesitation, doubts or regrets at all!

One of my license plates tag lines is "Live the Golden Rule"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ironic that you would keep the money, and in the next sentence say "Just being honest". Anybody else see a disconnect here?

No, not really. He was being honest with us as to what would ultimately be a dishonest act. I share his honesty--I don't know what I would do if I found myself in a similar situation. I would like to think that I would do the right thing but $15K would put a huge dent in my debt.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
No, not really. He was being honest with us as to what would ultimately be a dishonest act. I share his honesty--I don't know what I would do if I found myself in a similar situation. I would like to think that I would do the right thing but $15K would put a huge dent in my debt.

I agree. What I said earlier, if I saw a bag of $200,000 in cash fall out of an armored car, I believe I would do the Wrong thing.

Now if that same bag had people's checks in it as well, I would return it all.

I'm sitting here trying to figure why the difference myself, so don't ask.

Mike Hawk

I agree. What I said earlier, if I saw a bag of $200,000 in cash fall out of an armored car, I believe I would do the Wrong thing.

Now if that same bag had people's checks in it as well, I would return it all.

I'm sitting here trying to figure why the difference myself, so don't ask.
The bag of checks are individual peoples money, so you would be taking from a bunch of people, and also not easy to cash a bag of other peoples checks.
The cash on the other hand belongs to the armored car company, they signed for it it's their responsibility, so taking it has more of a sticking it to the man feeling, also easier to spend.

BigBrownSanta

Ironic that you would keep the money, and in the next sentence say "Just being honest". Anybody else see a disconnect here?

Let me throw a little more disconnect in there for you.

A few years back, I was making a delivery, and as I opened the door to enter, I found a $100 bill. I picked it up with every intention of keeping it. When I went in to make the delivery, I found an elderly, somewhat senile gentleman who was overweight and seemed to have a hard time breathing. I gave him the money and said I thought maybe he had dropped it while he was getting his keys out to open the door. I didn't even have to think twice about it, I just did it.

As far as a disconnect in my ethics, I am not trying to be a beacon of ethics. The sunglasses have no value to me. I would turn them in as a courtesy.

The honesty is in the fact that I am not lying when I say that I would not turn in the $15,000 cash.

DS

Fenderbender
In all honesty if I found a bag of cash that belonged to a bank,damn right I'd keep it.I hate banks.
If you were on the road and some stoned hells angel biker dropped some cash while riding up the road,would you keep it,or go to the local clubhouse and turn it in? I'd keep the meth money.
Once about 15 years ago,I found a wallet with $120 in it.It was some ladys that lived a few miles away.There was 2 credit cards and drivers lic social ins card costco etc...I mailed it back to her minus the cash,my bad? Actually I've felt guilty about it ever since.If it happened again,even if I could not afford beer,I would probobly return the wallet intact.
I was hurting for money at the time,and I've never told anyone about this before.Maybe thats why somebody ran over my guitar last week :(
Nobody can teach you ethics,its all trial and error and everyone is different.Some people live in ethically challenged neighborhoods that do nothing to promote the golden rule.

rod

Retired 22 years
Twice I found wallets on my route. Both times I called them up after I returned to the building and told them their wallets were at the UPS center and they could pick it up until about 9:00 minus 5 bucks so I could have a beer or 2 on them. Both of them had NO problem with that- in fact one of them tracked me down at the bar and bought me another beer.:wink2:

It's easy, turn them into the office. It's the right thing to do. I once found a wallet in the middle of a busy street, had $60 or so inside. The ID was of a young man from another town not far away. I tried calling many times (at various times of the day)to the only phone number I could find with no answer. After about a week of searching with no results I bought a padded mailing envelope with some of the money inside and replaced it with the receipt of the cost of envelope and mailing, addressed it to the ID info and forgot about it. I hope the young man received it OK. I don't think I would ever turn anything in to the police department, seems there are too many criminals hanging out there.
In the past I have found knives, tools, $20 bills rolling with the wind and no one around to claim them. I figure "finder's keepers, loser's weepers" on this. Where would you turn something like that into? Anytime there is a chance (even a slim one)to find the proper owner I do what I can.
John, to try and answer your question. The only thing we can do to promote the "Golden Rule" is to live by it and to teach it to our children, hoping that they learn that there are greater rewards than those that we can put into our wallets. The rest of the world (as a whole)will not be trained by the ones that walk the walk.