MLK

[-]
This roving reporter appreciates the American pursuit of football superiority but Americans must ponder this TODAY/ and [ut NE and Giants in the backseat. How fitting.

On April 3, King returned to Memphis and addressed a rally, delivering his "I've been to the Mountaintop" address at Mason Temple (Church of God in Christ, Inc. - World Headquarters). King's flight to Memphis had been delayed by a bomb threat against his plane.[19] In the close of the last speech of his career, in reference to the bomb threat, King said the following:

And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?
Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.[20]

May the spirtit of this giant partiotic man soar above NE, NY and all America and be a GIANT PARTRIOTIC statement for all time. May all of Gods childeren...
[/-]

ImpactedTSG

"I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will."

That sounds a lot like radical islamist view of things.

wily_old_vet

"I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will."

TSG-You are a idiot. As a born again Christian I strive to do God's will every day. Nothing islamist about it.:angry:

This roving reporter did not get you intent/ Are you a racist or a wannabe? Great men are killed before they complete their mission. Ghandi was yet another one. The modern version of racism is as old as the Amos and Andy show and blackface. If you have hate in your heart then simply go away. It is the content of one's character, not the color of one's skin. Go away. And quit UPS. That's the way it is, January 21, 2008.

ImpactedTSG

This roving reporter did not get you intent/ Are you a racist or a wannabe? Great men are killed before they complete their mission. Ghandi was yet another one. The modern version of racism is as old as the Amos and Andy show and blackface. If you have hate in your heart then simply go away. It is the content of one's character, not the color of one's skin. Go away. And quit UPS. That's the way it is, January 21, 2008.
I had no intent other than to say that it sounded a lot like the islamist view that they don't care if they die as long as they are doing God's will. I'm not an MLK expert, but I was surprised when I read that. BTW, I do not work for UPS anymore.

And wily old vet, if you are a born again Christian, why are you calling me an idiot when I did nothing to you? That is not very Christian-like. I was simply making an observation at the similarity of that one particular statment to radical islam.

wily_old_vet

That's why I said I STRIVE to do God's will every day. Not being a perfect person (Jesus being the only one that managed that) I was wrong in how I replied to you. But you took one little part of a speech out of context and said it was the same as radical Islam. Wrong.

ImpactedTSG

But you took one little part of a speech out of context and said it was the same as radical Islam. Wrong.
I said it sounded a lot like the islamist view. I never said it was the same as radical islam. MLK was intelligent, honest, respectful, and non-violent, totally the opposite of radical islam.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I said it sounded a lot like the islamist view. I never said it was the same as radical islam. MLK was intelligent, honest, respectful, and non-violent, totally the opposite of radical islam.
Totally the opposite of radical christianity as well. Radical anything for that matter.

browniehound

I don't know too much about Martin Luther "The King" (a funny quote from "Coming to America") . I do believe he was a genuinely good person, and a great man. I am white, yet when I hear the "I have a dream speech" or some of his other famous quotes, I get goose bumps.
He was such a phenomenal speaker, its almost unbeliveable he was never an elected official.

If nothing else, he was a great leader and somebody I would like to follow into battle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walter, as a "roving reporter", you should know that one of the basic rules in journalism is to acknowledge your sources. Your entire post, except for the first and last paragraph where you talked football, was "borrowed" from Wikipedia. For those who may doubt me, please go to Wikipedia, type in "Martin Luther King", go to his home page, scroll down to Contents, then click on "3. Assassination", and you will see the bulk of what Walter posted. WC, I applaud your attempt to bring Dr. Kings' work to our attention, but don't try to pass it off as your own "reporting" as you couldn't carry Walter Cronkite's literary jockstrap.

local804

Was a great speaker, person and stood up for his rights(probably a teamster)
Lets try to keep the racial BS out of these post and off the boards(black and white)
Its not as fun to visit the BC as it used to be.

Walter, as a "roving reporter", you should know that one of the basic rules in journalism is to acknowledge your sources. Your entire post, except for the first and last paragraph where you talked football, was "borrowed" from Wikipedia. For those who may doubt me, please go to Wikipedia, type in "Martin Luther King", go to his home page, scroll down to Contents, then click on "3. Assassination", and you will see the bulk of what Walter posted. WC, I applaud your attempt to bring Dr. Kings' work to our attention, but don't try to pass it off as your own "reporting" as you couldn't carry Walter Cronkite's literary jockstrap.

I thought leaving the hyperlinks in the text was sufficient. But that's the way it is sometimes. You may have been the only reader that actually thought I wrote MLK's speeches. Such praise is welcome but I am not worthy. BTW, what are the basic rules of journalism? I want to ensure that I do not violate them again.

FAVREFAN

Wow. I'm exhausted after reading this thread. Quick opinion.....Malcom X or Farakan might at some points be considered "radical" but MLK equals love & peace.
Do you work for UPS Walter or are you retired?

Channahon

Having lived through history in the 60's I can say the impact of MLK was a life changing experience for me.

I was in a Catholic high school in a mixed neigborhood, and an assembly was called when MLK was killed. At the time, the black girls were crying and consoling one another. Being a teenager, I really didn't understand the emotions, until I got home and watched TV and saw what MLK was stood for in the South.
Unfortunately, riots occurred in the city and the students were advised not to return to school until contacted and told to do so.
Upon my return, I learned even more from my black classmates regrarding MLK.

My granddaughter has a strong interest in the south, regarding black and white issues. She had no clue how life was back then, as today she knows there is diversity in her school, but everyone is equal in her eyes.

One of the first books she read was about Rosa Parks. And on Thursday, she told me MLK "I have a dream" speech was played over the intercom at school. To honor MLK as a person who was a leader, visionary, inspirational, compassionate human being to believed in equal rights for all Americans.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sometimes we forget the past. When watching a movie the other day ....the Dorothy Dandridge movie with Halle Berry......you are reminded the way things used to be. She wasn't allowed to use the bathrooms in the club where she was performing. Her manager handed her a Dixie Cup instead.

A lot of things have changed thanks to folks like MLK, Ros Parks, etc.

Sometimes we forget the past. When watching a movie the other day ....the Dorothy Dandridge movie with Halle Berry......you are reminded the way things used to be. She wasn't allowed to use the bathrooms in the club where she was performing. Her manager handed her a Dixie Cup instead.

A lot of things have changed thanks to folks like MLK, Ros Parks, etc.

This roving reporter agrees that "a lot of things have changed thanks to folks like MLK, Rosa Parks, etc. But to be true to your post, DIXIE cups are still required in the South. Why did UPS build its data center in the intergalactic home of the KKK, Alpharetta, GA ??? The only reason was for filthy lucre, tax abatements. Shame on UPS and the other companies who put profit before righteouslness. And that's the way it is, was, and I am afreaid will be.

wily_old_vet

TSG-Last thing I'll say on this thread. You may think very highly of Dr. King but the way you replied came out sounding as though you were attacking him and comparing him to the loons of radical Islam.

TSG-Last thing I'll say on this thread. You may think very highly of Dr. King but the way you replied came out sounding as though you were attacking him and comparing him to the loons of radical Islam.
10 'Do not (A)fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely (B)I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous (C)right hand.'
11"Behold, (D)all those who are angered at you will be
shamed and dishonored;
(E)Those who contend with you will be as nothing and will perish.
12"(friend)You will seek those who quarrel with you, but will not find them,
Those who war with you will be as nothing and non-existent.
13"For I am the LORD your God, (G)who upholds your right hand,
Who says to you, '(H)Do not fear, I will help you.'

I suppose you could interpret anything as radical Islam (whatever that means), even the above. Live and let live. I am from NYC. Please. do not preach about Islamists to us.