Moderator staff changes and upcoming website changes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You don't believe me? I'll post a picture of my package if it will help.

Wait.....hold on....let me switch from cellphone to big screen!.........then ill pu on my reading glasses!..lol

I'll save time and grab the magnifying lens.....lol

Microscope??

New mod...slinging crap??..wow
Wow fire it up. We are alive, ! tonight!

brett636

The loss of the like button is going to be an adjustment. My biggest concern when I saw the thread title was making sure Cheryl was going to continue to maintain ownership and control of the brown cafe. Too many of my favorite web forums has been bought out by companies like Vertical scope who purchase active, thriving communities such as this one and load them up with ads in order to generate a profit. Everytime I have seen this happen the community effectively dies, and most of the regulars leave turning the site into a ghost town. I just want to urge Cheryl to not sell out to one of these companies should they approach her. This community is too unique to find elsewhere and I do enjoy the influx of information pertaining to contract negotiations and other job related issues. Everything else is small potatoes in my book.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The loss of the like button is going to be an adjustment. My biggest concern when I saw the thread title was making sure Cheryl was going to continue to maintain ownership and control of the brown cafe. Too many of my favorite web forums has been bought out by companies like Vertical scope who purchase active, thriving communities such as this one and load them up with ads in order to generate a profit. Everytime I have seen this happen the community effectively dies, and most of the regulars leave turning the site into a ghost town. I just want to urge Cheryl to not sell out to one of these companies should they approach her. This community is too unique to find elsewhere and I do enjoy the influx of information pertaining to contract negotiations and other job related issues. Everything else is small potatoes in my book.

Nope, I'm not selling and do not plan to retire soon. I started this site as a hobby and still really enjoy working on improving it.

I also admin a parenting forum which Vertical and Internet Brands have each contacted me about because they are interested in buying it. I didn't even bother to respond to them because I don't build communities to make money. I build them for personal reasons. http://www.browncafe.com/community/...come-to-be-what-it-is-today.72083/#post182713

That and I HATE their approach to internet communities. They take the heart and soul out of the communities they buy, it's disgusting.

If I get hit by a bus this afternoon I would like to state for the record that I want someone, or maybe a group of people, from within this community to continue to manage this site. If my heirs decide to sell it they need to offer it to the community first. I have no idea what this site is worth but maybe members could buy it piece by piece and then use the ad revenue to hire an admin. Or maybe someone from the community is a forum admin elsewhere would be interested in buying bc. I do not want this site sold to any company that acquires forums. Absolutely not.

The same request applies to my parenting forum. I don't plan on going anywhere but if something unforeseen happens then this is the way that I request that these 2 communities should be handled. The rest of my internet stuff can be sold.

brett636

Nope, I'm not selling and do not plan to retire soon. I started this site as a hobby and still really enjoy working on improving it.

I also admin a parenting forum which Vertical and Internet Brands have each contacted me about because they are interested in buying it. I didn't even bother to respond to them because I don't build communities to make money. I build them for personal reasons. http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/how-did-brown-cafe-come-what-today-72083/#post182713

That and I HATE their approach to internet communities. They take the heart and soul out of the communities they buy, it's disgusting.

If I get hit by a bus this afternoon I would like to state for the record that I want someone, or maybe a group of people, from within this community to continue to manage this site. If my heirs decide to sell it they need to offer it to the community first. I have no idea what this site is worth but maybe members could buy it piece by piece and then use the ad revenue to hire an admin. Or maybe someone from the community is a forum admin elsewhere would be interested in buying bc. I do not want this site sold to any company that acquires forums. Absolutely not.

The same request applies to my parenting forum. I don't plan on going anywhere but if something unforeseen happens then this is the way that I request that these 2 communities should be handled. The rest of my internet stuff can be sold.

I'm so glad to hear you say this. I've witnessed the very fate you mention fall upon several forums bought up by these companies. It is disgusting and sad at the same time. Its good to know the brown cafe will continue on with an admin/owner who is generally interested in maintaining a community rather than just a revenue stream.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

I also admin a parenting forum which Vertical and Internet Brands have each contacted me about because they are interested in buying it. I didn't even bother to respond to them because I don't build communities to make money. I build them for personal reasons. http://www.browncafe.com/community/...come-to-be-what-it-is-today.72083/#post182713

I'm so glad to hear you say this. I've witnessed the very fate you mention fall upon several forums bought up by these companies. It is disgusting and sad at the same time. Its good to know the brown cafe will continue on with an admin/owner who is generally interested in maintaining a community rather than just a revenue stream.

I like both posts.
I am very pleased Cheryl plans to stay on course and continue forward with BC.
I will also add that in event misfortune described occurs; I will work with others to preserve the spirit of BC.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Cheryl,

Please make your wishes about Brown Cafe known in your will. That way, should a group of BC folks want to purchase it, maybe we can get 1st right of refusal.

​Other than that- I read a lot of posts, just don't post as much anymore

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl,

Please make your wishes about Brown Cafe known in your will. That way, should a group of BC folks want to purchase it, maybe we can get 1st right of refusal.

​Other than that- I read a lot of posts, just don't post as much anymore
I don't generally think of things like that so that's a very good suggestion.

Please say hi to the Mrs. Hope you two have been on some awesome adventures lately. Maybe one day we see you guys again on another bc cruise.