Monday, July 31; the perfect storm of stupid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are they going to start running weekend sorts and feeder runs that run 24/7?

Probably not, unless FedEx starts. (I know, we have weekend sorts and weekend feeder runs in some places already.)

Because as it stands right now they are running Monday volume on Saturday.

Correct.

No delivery volume left for Mondays except for businesses that are closed on Saturday.

Saturday is mostly for residential. Very little business delivered on Saturday. So Monday volume is business and pickups.

So pickups are really the only thing that will be done on Monday?

See above.

Why is this a money maker?

It's not. It's the cost of doing business. It's to please Amazon, Walmart, Kohls, Jet, etc.

The USPS and FedEx delivers on Saturday. If UPS wanted to keep some of this online volume, they needed to deliver on Saturday.

Simply put...it is all smoke and mirrors with no real return.

The return is to keep the volume, instead of it going to the USPS and FedEx.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We will be implementing Saturday Delivery in my building this July.

Monday, July 29th will see a covergence of 3 factors that will create the "perfect storm" of forced stupidity resulting in service failures.

Factor #1--The first few weeks of implementing a new program are when UPS is always the most fanatical about generating arbitrary metrics in order to create the illusion that the program is working.

Factor #2--Late July thru mid August is usually our period of lowest delivery volume.

Factor #3--Mondays, as well as the last 2 or 3 days of the month, are always our heaviest days for pickup volume.

The covergence of these factors will result in a situation where our already low delivery volume will be further thinned out by making residential deliveries on Saturday the 27th. Therefore...in order to generate the required Stops Per Car metric on Monday the 29th, routes will be cut out and combined to the point where those that remain will be dispatched with two complete pickup strings that they have no hope of containing or completing in a realistic time frame, particularly when they are having to try and cram that volume in over the top of 10 hours worth of business deliveries.

The surviving routes will still have the same number of stops "on paper", but since the 25 or 30 residential DR's that can be put off until the end of the day will have already been delivered on Saturday, those stops will replaced by business stops or pickups from the adjacent route that has been eliminated.

The pickups wont contain, and the business deliveries will get missed, because you cant cram 1200 cubic feet of volume from two pickup strings into one car and you cant deliver 10 hours worth of business stops by 5:00--especially when you are forced to start your pickups 2 hours early.

The train wreck is coming. I am glad I will be on vacation that day!

the bolded part....oh man that is in hyperdrive mode right now

the rest is kinda wrong, simply because as more typical days become available, the plan days for Monday will be readjusted and service will be (mostly) restored

at least, that's the theory if you have IE that care; otherwise, RIP you lmao

the rest is kinda wrong, simply because as more typical days become available, the plan days for Monday will be readjusted and service will be (mostly) restored

Is much as we don't like Saturday deliveries.
This is the mist economical way for UPS to increase capacity without spending a lot of money .

km3

Is much as we don't like Saturday deliveries.
This is the mist economical way for UPS to increase capacity without spending a lot of money .

The problem is staffing...particularly on the PT front. They can't keep people as it is for M-friend, not many will be willing to give up a part of their Saturday to go preload for $11/hr.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Stops Per Car is a metric that is chiseled in stone. It is not subject to review or appeal and it will be generated by any means necessary, regardless of the cost in service failures.
Generating that metric on Mondays, when the volume has been thinned out by Saturday delivery, will require the forced combining of pickup strings and the forced dispatching of hopeless routes with 10 hours of business stops on board.
The only solution would be for local management to be allowed to dispatch underloads when needed on Mondays in order to ensure service and pickup containment. Monkeys will fly out of my ass before that happens. There is a reason why my 3 worst days in the last 20 years in terms of missed stops have all been on July 5th.

The problem is staffing...particularly on the PT front. They can't keep people as it is for M-friend, not many will be willing to give up a part of their Saturday to go preload for $11/hr.
You can only afford to build so many buildins and but so many package cars. The payment on a package car is the same no matter how many days you use it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Stops Per Car is a metric that is chiseled in stone. It is not subject to review or appeal and it will be generated by any means necessary, regardless of the cost in service failures.
Generating that metric on Mondays, when the volume has been thinned out by Saturday delivery, will require the forced combining of pickup strings and the forced dispatching of hopeless routes with 10 hours of business stops on board.
The only solution would be for local management to be allowed to dispatch underloads when needed on Mondays in order to ensure service and pickup containment. Monkeys will fly out of my ass before that happens. There is a reason why my 3 worst days in the last 20 years in terms of missed stops have all been on July 5th.
SPC is whatever i say it is, so no it's not chiseled in stone

Johney

Are they going to start running weekend sorts and feeder runs that run 24/7? Because as it stands right now they are running Monday volume on Saturday. No delivery volume left for Mondays except for businesses that are closed on Saturday. So pickups are really the only thing that will be done on Monday? Why is this a money maker? Simply put...it is all smoke and mirrors with no real return.
We bring in volume for Monday off the train Sunday night.

What'dyabringmetoday???

"Bolded"? Is that similar to when Mother Nature colded us last winter? Lol?

km3

Trying to eliminate OT is not necessarily the same as doing it. We have double shifters on preload almost year round except for a couple months after Peak.

Personally, I would think Saturday ground would make 6th punches almost unavoidable. It's a lot harder to get a 6th punch when there isn't a scheduled sort/operation on Saturday (outside of air).

soberups

Right.
Its not what is actually needed to make service on the packages and the pickups. Instead, it is little more than an exercise in wishful thinking. In IE world, there is no such thing as containment issues or traffic or misloads. To the IE man chasing a metric, a stop is a stop is a stop. Is your route 30 stops short on residential DR stops due to Saturday delivery? No problem, here are 30 industrial pickups you can do to make up for it. All things are possible in IE world!

soberups

In an ideal world, the IE man who pulls a stops-per-car metric out of his ass should then be required to report to the center in question for a week and man the phones as an OMS, that he may apply his superior wisdom and intellect towards solving any dispatch problems that might arise as the result of his calculations.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that one...

Last edited: