More post office boxes??

browncow101

Was told today after first of the year anyone will be able to ship thru us to the post office. Anybody heard this at your centers?? Think they are trying ti eliminate the rurral routes??

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Its a great way to cut drivers that is for sure, since the post office is losing billions per year I am sure they would love the extra money.

worldwide

Was told today after first of the year anyone will be able to ship thru us to the post office. Anybody heard this at your centers?? Think they are trying ti eliminate the rurral routes??

If a customer is currently using the USPS and shipping to a PO Box, UPS does not touch the package and gets no revenue. If what you state is true, a Teamster would now pick up the package from the shipper, a Teamster would sort it and a Teamster would deliver it to the Post Office - UPS gets more packages = more revenue = growth. Sounds like a good thing for a for-profit business like UPS. Not sure it would take work away from a rural route - if a customer wants something delivered to their house, they have a street address that UPS can deliver it to. Currently if they want something sent to a PO Box, there is no way UPS can deliver that package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP was less than clear about what he was trying to say.

He was referring to Basic packages and, yes, the volume from this service is growing and will continue to do so as the option to ship Basic will be extended to more shippers. Basic is our lowest cost ground option. We are urged to get rid of them on the first attempt and shippers cannot file claims on these packages.

Delivery of Basic depends on zip code. I deliver in the city and I deliver all of my Basics to the consignee. Basics are about 1/3 of my residential packages. When I had my country run I would deliver Basics to the Post Office, many times driving by the address on the package to bring it to the PO only to have the rural carrier turn around and deliver it to the address I just drove by the following day. Customers love the low shipping rates but have yet to embrace the concept of the delay in shipping. Basics are also difficult to track.

Basic volume is going to skyrocket in the next few years IMO.

ups2000

i think its a good idea to let everyone be able to ship basic. a lot of companys use fed ex smart post and they are slow. Are basic is way better so hopfully we can get some companys that have a contract to ship everything fedex to jump ship.

brownedout

I remember the days when the post office refused every package I attempted to deliver to them. Even the supplies they themselves ordered. The times they are-a-changin.