More *^%$ snow

clueless

Yeah, and Snedeker was on this morning claiming how they 'knew' it was coming. Really? You guys predicted what looks to be a foot of it in my driveway? Didn't see it on any of your weather reports....

brownelf

we got another 10" of snow, they asked me if I wanted to stay home today, as my route ( mostly residential ) wasn't being built today as the side streets are once again impassable. Didn't need to ask me twice, as I'll still get 40hrs in before the week is over anyways. Guess I'll go shovel some snow instead...

curiousbrain

We received around 4 - 6" inches of snow around here - nothing unusual and certainly not a big deal relative to what we have received in the past. However, it was a complete disaster today ... some routes had 140 packages (not stops, but pieces), others had 380. With it also being a holiday and being a metropolitan center, tons of businesses were closed so we had to pull about 1000 hold's per belt; then, at the end of the day a supervisor comes over with a three page add/cut hehe. I'm leaving out some details, but suffice to say it was a bit hectic on this fine day.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I wore shorts to work today =)

I had on 4 layers, windchill heading towards 2 degrees, snow, ice, this weekend I was watching golf on TV sitting in my house when the oil truck shows up to give me 200 gallons of oil at about 2.99 a gallon.
I hate you I know nothing about you but I really hate you. I wont hate you in a month but today I do..... LOL

badpal

I had on 4 layers, windchill heading towards 2 degrees, snow, ice, this weekend I was watching golf on TV sitting in my house when the oil truck shows up to give me 200 gallons of oil at about 2.99 a gallon.
I hate you I know nothing about you but I really hate you. I wont hate you in a month but today I do..... LOL
Just a question capt does about everybody in the NE use heating oil do they have natural gas lines or is there no choice ?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse

So did I...My route was dissolved and I wound up here:surprised:
0221010934a.jpg

over9five

Staff member

Just a question capt does about everybody in the NE use heating oil do they have natural gas lines or is there no choice ?

Was it really only 2.99/gal, Kirk? Haven't bought oil since last Summer, but I thought I heard it was well over $3.

I use mainly wood pellets, but the oil furnace gives me my hot water.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Heating oil is the primary fuel source, which is why people in the Northeast are concerned about Obama's plan to cut LIHEAP funds by 50%.

I use electric baseboard heaters because electricity is very cheap in my town but is very expensive elsewhere.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
With the move to the new house we went from natural gas to propane. At about 3 bucks a gal (winter prices) with a 500 gal tank (which they will only fill to 80%) it's not going to be cheap. The best way to buy propane is to pre-buy during the summer when the prices fall.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Me too, but it was 38 outside and the hilly part of my route still had a bit of snow on the ground. We are supposed to get a few inches down on the valley floor on Thursday, which is fairly rare for us this late in the winter.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Heating oil is the primary fuel source, which is why people in the Northeast are concerned about Obama's plan to cut LIHEAP funds by 50%.

I use electric baseboard heaters because electricity is very cheap in my town but is very expensive elsewhere.

I have a high-efficiency natural gas furnace which never gets used because I prefer to heat with my woodstove.

During the summer months I log onto Craigslist every day and check the "free" section for firewood. 99% of the time what is available is just crap, someone tore down an old deck and is trying to get rid of a bunch of rotten lumber, but every once in awhile somebody with no fireplace will have a tree felled on their property and they wind up with a bunch of green unsplit rounds to get rid of. I have about 4 cords of good quality firewood (oak, Douglas fir, maple) that cost me nothing but a few hours of work and $20 worth of gas for my truck. Splitting and stacking firewood is good excercise and I enjoy it.

I love coming home on a cold winter day and warming my hands and butt up in front of a hot crackling fire in the woodstove.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sober

I am setting up running the shop on a wood stove. IT will also heat the water for the fish. They live in about 15,000 gallons divided up between 17 tanks, and 60+ aquariums. That part is a bit tricky, as I want to heat the water, and keep it steady, without overheating.

But like you, the wood seems to be plentiful, and I enjoy runnin a chain saw.

As for the snow, we have had more this year than for quite a while, and at times has hung around for two weeks or more, unusual for here. Ususally it is gone in a week.

But then again it is only february...........

Anyone going to the Bristol race this spring?

d