Most practical/adequate/effective way to grieve supervisor working?

RedRvrDrvr

To those who grieve supervisors working, what is your method on doing so? I see both p/t and friend/t sups working daily when preload is wrapping up. I see a lot of part-timers walking out on my way in to the center. Whether they choose to leave early or instructed to leave is besides the point...sups are still working.

Does grievant have to lounge around and keep track of minutes from start to stop? Sups working is a daily thing in my center. If I don’t have to sit there and watch them work to grieve, I’d like to jump on the free-money wagon.

InsideUPS

Method 1:

One indirect method is to stand there and watch them until they are done. If they ask you .... "what are you doing?"......tell them that you are doing their job since they are doing yours.

Method 2: File a grievance.

Section 7 (d) – Supervisors Working

(d) If it is determined at any step of the grievance and/or arbitration

procedure that this Section, or a “supervisor working” provision

in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, has been violated, the

aggrieved employee will be paid as follows: (i) if the actual hours

worked by the supervisor amounts to two (2) hours or less, the

aggrieved employee will be paid for the actual hours worked by

the supervisor at the rate of double time the employee’s rate of

pay at the time of the incident; or (ii) if the supervisor works more

than two (2) hours, the aggrieved employee shall be paid four (4)

hours at straight time or actual hours worked at double time the

employee’s rate of pay at the time of the incident, whichever is

greater. If no aggrieved employee can be identified, the payment

will be made to the grievant. Such remedy shall be in addition

to any other remedies sought by the Union in the appropriate

grievance procedure.

If a Supplement, Rider or Addendum does not have a provision

requiring notice to the steward when a supervisor works the following

shall be incorporated: “In the event a supervisor does perform

bargaining unit work, the Employer shall notify the appropriate shop

steward as soon as possible.”

In the event that any individual supervisor is found to be in violation

of the first paragraph of this Subsection three (3) times in any nine

(9) month rolling period, the grievance shall be paid at triple time the

employee’s rate of pay for the hours specified in the first paragraph

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If I don’t have to sit there and watch them work to grieve, I’d like to jump on the free-money wagon.

There's a little more to it.... than that.

Does grievant have to lounge around and keep track of minutes from start to stop?

First thing, you must confront them and ask why they are working ?

Second.. you must ask to be put back on the clock, and offer to perform the work.

After those 2 conditions are met, you have a legitimate contract infraction

and can grieve for all time you observed or can prove they worked.

-Bug-

clean hairy

Observe stupe working and time started and time ended.
Supe worked from 1:30-2:42
Calculate how long they worked.
Fill out grievance form and give to steward.
That is how i do it.

WorkingAsDirected

Method 1:

One indirect method is to stand there and watch them until they are done. If they ask you .... "what are you doing?"......tell them that you are doing their job since they are doing yours.

DO NOT stand there and watch them until they are done. You are not working as directed and can be disciplined. You are paid to work at UPS not to stand around and watch supervisors work. Be as accurate as you can with the time that they worked. Describe what the supervisor was doing and in what area. Try to get witnesses if possible. Add as much detail as you can in your grievance. Did management send people home early? Did they tell you to get off the clock and continue doing union work? You will need as much ammo as you can so they won't give you pennys on the dollar when you wait 3-4 years to get to the grievance.

InsideUPS

DO NOT stand there and watch them until they are done. You are not working as directed and can be disciplined. You are paid to work at UPS not to stand around and watch supervisors work. Be as accurate as you can with the time that they worked. Describe what the supervisor was doing and in what area. Try to get witnesses if possible. Add as much detail as you can in your grievance. Did management send people home early? Did they tell you to get off the clock and continue doing union work? You will need as much ammo as you can so they won't give you pennys on the dollar when you wait 3-4 years to get to the grievance.

For clarification....Method 1 was "meant to be a joke" however to properly document a supervisor working grievance which includes as you stated:.... "Be as accurate as you can with the time that they worked. Describe what the supervisor was doing and in what area. Try to get witnesses if possible. Add as much detail as you can in your grievance. Did management send people home early?" will require a certain amount of time standing there and collecting all the facts that you mentioned. IF the supervisor happens to see you watching or standing there and then instructs you to get back to work......... yes by all means continue working as to not disrupt the operation. Only then would you normally be write-up as not working as directed. A better solution in place of my not really serious Method 1 would be to get your Union steward involved and report the matter to him or her if you do not feel comfortable to talking with the supervisor directly as suggested by BUG above. It all depends on how intimidated you may feel.

FWIW.....if anyone is waiting 3-4 years to have a local level hearing on a supervisor working grievance.......there is something seriously wrong with the Union representation in that Local.

RedRvrDrvr

I don’t work preload. I’m a ft driver who happens to see preload sups working at the end of the sort before driver start time. I didn’t mean I’m just standing around doing nothing. I’m not “on the clock” when I see them working. Thanks for the advice, gents!

Last edited:

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
I don’t work preload. I’m a ft driver who happens to see preload sups working at the end of the sort before driver start time. I didn’t mean I’m just standing around doing nothing. I’m not “on the clock” when I see them working. Thanks for the advice, gents!
I think if u grieve them the preloaders affected get paid out tho.

Unless theyre doing it after driver start time. That you get paid for....right?

RedRvrDrvr

I think if u grieve them the preloaders affected get paid out tho.

Unless theyre doing it after driver start time. That you get paid for....right?

But who’s to say gets it? Would they just pick a random preloader and say, you get the money this random driver grieved? Doesn’t make sense to me. Like I said, a lot of part-timers like leaving early. The staffing is there. Mgmt just chooses to let them go.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That's the best possible scenario.

Immediately ask to be started early, and be allowed to perform the work.

You are present, qualified, and available.

If you are refused.. you file.. and you are entitled to all monies due.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
But who’s to say gets it? Would they just pick a random preloader and say, you get the money this random driver grieved? Doesn’t make sense to me. Like I said, a lot of part-timers like leaving early. The staffing is there. Mgmt just chooses to let them go.
I know they kick us off the clock. And even sometimes start us up late after theyve loaded our trucks partially or sorted packages. Often.

But i was told it went by seniority or whoever is immediately affected. I.e. the loader of the set of trucks the supervisors are moving packages in and out of.