Moving from UPS driver to FedEX driver. Need help!

BUCN85

I feel if money isn't an issue then stay with ups. Long term this will suit you better for you and your family.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
How much do you make as a TCD? When I did it you made 85℅ and locked into that rate if you ever went full-time. If you're making $28 an hour now stay and skip every day you can. With option days, sick days and calling in, you can do a 4 day week through most of your non driving weeks.

Since you're working a midnight shift you must be in a hub so tell HR you need to switch shifts. One of the 3 shifts should work and if it's a big hub you might have air sorts to choose from which could include a day sort.

If moneh doesn't matter I don't understand why you would want to drive package car or even work. Aint no shame in being a stay at home dad until the kids are older.

zuma76

Couple answers to questions people asked.

This is FedEx Express
The inside shift is hard because I get home at 5am and then have to watch 3 tiny kids while I'm falling asleep. I can't take naps since my wife works long days.
I live on east coast NY

When I said the money doesn't matter I wasn't saying we are rich but we have 2 incomes so the money just falls below other categories like family time, benefits, permanent

PT Car Washer

Couple answers to questions people asked.

This is FedEx Express
The inside shift is hard because I get home at 5am and then have to watch 3 tiny kids while I'm falling asleep. I can't take naps since my wife works long days.
I live on east coast NY

When I said the money doesn't matter I wasn't saying we are rich but we have 2 incomes so the money just falls below other categories like family time, benefits, permanent
Switch to twilight sort if that is an option. Watch kids during the day and wife takes over in the evening. They will only be little for a few years and the time seems to fly by. By then you may have enough seniority to have more permanent work. FedEx, both Express and Ground is a revolving door from what I have seen. May want to ask why is that.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Where do they go when you drive?

Twilight would be the easiest for you with the kids but Preload would be best for family life. When I worked Preload I could get by on less sleep much easier than other shifts... Slept from 10 to 3AM and woke up good.

If HR drags their feet go to your driving supervisors. They never want to lose reliable drivers and have the juice to get it done quickly.

Savvy412

I know this is prob stupid but

Before you go could you maybe go to management and "try" to get a honest picture of where you stand in seniority of getting a ft gig?

Tough choice man.. I think you should stick it out at ups.. Because if somethings happens and you get fired your going to be back to square one and know you would be a full time union driver if you stayed

PT Car Washer

I know this is prob stupid but

Before you go could you maybe go to management and "try" to get a honest picture of where you stand in seniority of getting a ft gig?

Tough choice man.. I think you should stick it out at ups.. Because if somethings happens and you get fired your going to be back to square one and know you would be a full time union driver if you stayed
Go to management and try to get an honest picture of where you stand? Really?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
In my local we have the option to take layoff and receive unemployment. If you don't need the insurance you can do that. You basically wont have insurance at fedex.
Most guys who dont need the money will work 1 day in the hub at night just to get the benefits and pension credit. Depends on your local.

zuma76

have you posted this question on the Fedex section of Brown Cafe? get both sides.

Okay. This is what I was looking for. I am going to try to get an answer on this today. If I could do 1 day a week inside and stay on payroll I would be ecstatic. Honestly I don't want to do the inside. I despise it. I've spent my whole life doing jobs that I hate and refuse to do it anymore.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Okay. This is what I was looking for. I am going to try to get an answer on this today. If I could do 1 day a week inside and stay on payroll I would be ecstatic. Honestly I don't want to do the inside. I despise it. I've spent my whole life doing jobs that I hate and refuse to do it anymore.
it sounds like you already know the answer. life is too short to hate your job.what does your gut say ? gut feelings are usually right.

good luck to you. it would be good to know what your decision is so that it may help other people in the same situation. and come back after a couple months to let everyone how it is going.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Ups is not a 30 yr career anymore,, get out now your body and personal life will thank you

1Simplemann

This is a Fed EX ground position your talking about? If so the answer is NO! Your hung up on "permenant" thing. Think long term. I'm being truly honest here. If you want your kids to be able to go to a GOOD college then stick out the shi tty shift, pay your dues, work hard and in the end you'll be able to provide very well for your family. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in your family life to get ahead in life.

_Archer_

I am new here and I just made the switch to UPS from FedEx. I can only speak on FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery. Neither offer benefits of any kind. You have to buy on your own dime privately. The way Home delivery pays is per stop. $1.00-$1.10 per stop depending on what contractor you work for. The earlier you go in the sooner you get done. The earliest you can go in is 5:00 am. HD also work Tues-Sat. Might be a problem for some. Fedex Ground is salary. Pay is btwn $625.00-$775.00 per week. Depending on your contractor. No benefits provided by Fedex. I was a driver for FedEx and like I said I just switched to UPS. Much better company to work for in the long run as far as benefits and pay goes. If you work for FedEx the two to work for are FedEx Express or FedEx Freight. Those are FedEx's babies. They pay the best and offer benefits.