Moving to management

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’m a late 30 something former cop (hated job) that just took a job at UPS as a package loader on the midnight shift. I have a college degree and and a good resume. I was pulled aside by HR to give it 6 weeks and I’d be on my way to management etc (HR said even the CEO) started as a package handler. I have job now, but want my foot in the door with a company like UPS. HR also told me to
Stick it out for “6weeks”. Was HR blowing smoke? Or will my prior Police experience and other career accomplishments really get me to where I would like to be.
Thanks
Hook line and sinker.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I’m a late 30 something former cop (hated job) that just took a job at UPS as a package loader on the midnight shift. I have a college degree and and a good resume. I was pulled aside by HR to give it 6 weeks and I’d be on my way to management etc (HR said even the CEO) started as a package handler. I have job now, but want my foot in the door with a company like UPS. HR also told me to
Stick it out for “6weeks”. Was HR blowing smoke? Or will my prior Police experience and other career accomplishments really get me to where I would like to be.
Thanks
How long were you a cop?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
2018-05-02_15.44.53.jpg

sandwich

The resident gearhead
What exactly does a part time Sup do? And what is the wage? Waiting around years Would not be desirable. I am willing to wait, but years?
Send hourlies home and do their job. Normally I would never suggest anybody go to management. But with your degree and LE you'll be full time management quick. And you'll probably get a cush job. Ups is a waiting game for full time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thanks

DOK

I’m really serious about this. I’ve had a string of bad luck. I have 4 kids and really want to hope and pray this move works. Please honest answers would be appreciated.

If you go into part time management you may be stuck there for years, and talking possibly 10 or more. Become a driver then go to full time management from there.

isonend

You should be straight with whoever you are talking to in HR and ask them what the opportunities are in that location. In some places the turnover is so high you might actually have a crack at part time supervisor pretty quickly. But the places with high turnover are usually that way for a reason.

One thing to know is that a part time supervisor gets health benefits right away. Part time hourly have to work a year. That's the current setup - it might change in the new contract in August, but you don't know. Right now the management have to pay for benefits and hourly get them provided as part of the contract - but here again that might change with the new contract. The starting part time hourly pay is pretty low right now. It will be higher with the new contract, but maybe not as high as the $15 being asked for. The supervisor pay rate is not affected by the contract, so you might not end up making a whole lot more as a part time supervisor than you would as an hourly, but that's all in the future.

But if you are considering the health benefits and you thought you could be a supervisor inside a year, it might be worth it.

A part time supervisor supervises a group of part time hourly employees. The job depends on what operation you're on. Preload is going to start early in the morning. Other operations are different depending on the location. You could be working a day sort, a twilight or a night sort and have different hours. Part time supervisors normally work 27.5 hours a week.

I would say that your age and background is an advantage. I have seen quite a few part time supes in their early 20s who have a hard time. They don't always have good experience dealing with people in stressful situations and they crack and just start treating people disrespectfully. Being able to stay cool, listen to people and treat them with respect is just better for everyone.

Going into full time management is also going to depend on your location. There are two pretty common paths - one is to go from part time hourly to part time supervisor to full time supervisor. People who do that are usually in inside operations and you end up as a hub or dispatch supervisor, but it is possible to go from part time operations supervisor into other areas, like security. The highest-paid starting full time supervisor job is on-road supervisor. To do that you have to pass driving school and do some driving usually - even if it's only as a seasonal driver. UPS also likes to promote full-time drivers to on-road supervisor, so that is another route.

It's going to depend on the location, and that's where you want to talk to HR and even better to someone who already works there. Some places might have a shortage of management and that would be the fastest way up. Or they might be looking for full time drivers and you'd have a chance to bid a driver job quickly, then go into management from there (and that's not a bad option if you're needing income and benefits). I've seen it both ways - part time supervisors stuck for 10 years waiting for a chance, and part time hourly waiting 10 years for drivers to retire to get a shot to drive. But then I saw a part time preloader go from off the street to part time supervisor in under a year and full time within a year of that.

bumped

Thanks

Lets start with where you would like to be. If its CEO, then your chances are pretty damn slim.

Jody43

You should be straight with whoever you are talking to in HR and ask them what the opportunities are in that location. In some places the turnover is so high you might actually have a crack at part time supervisor pretty quickly. But the places with high turnover are usually that way for a reason.

One thing to know is that a part time supervisor gets health benefits right away. Part time hourly have to work a year. That's the current setup - it might change in the new contract in August, but you don't know. Right now the management have to pay for benefits and hourly get them provided as part of the contract - but here again that might change with the new contract. The starting part time hourly pay is pretty low right now. It will be higher with the new contract, but maybe not as high as the $15 being asked for. The supervisor pay rate is not affected by the contract, so you might not end up making a whole lot more as a part time supervisor than you would as an hourly, but that's all in the future.

But if you are considering the health benefits and you thought you could be a supervisor inside a year, it might be worth it.

A part time supervisor supervises a group of part time hourly employees. The job depends on what operation you're on. Preload is going to start early in the morning. Other operations are different depending on the location. You could be working a day sort, a twilight or a night sort and have different hours. Part time supervisors normally work 27.5 hours a week.

I would say that your age and background is an advantage. I have seen quite a few part time supes in their early 20s who have a hard time. They don't always have good experience dealing with people in stressful situations and they crack and just start treating people disrespectfully. Being able to stay cool, listen to people and treat them with respect is just better for everyone.

Going into full time management is also going to depend on your location. There are two pretty common paths - one is to go from part time hourly to part time supervisor to full time supervisor. People who do that are usually in inside operations and you end up as a hub or dispatch supervisor, but it is possible to go from part time operations supervisor into other areas, like security. The highest-paid starting full time supervisor job is on-road supervisor. To do that you have to pass driving school and do some driving usually - even if it's only as a seasonal driver. UPS also likes to promote full-time drivers to on-road supervisor, so that is another route.

It's going to depend on the location, and that's where you want to talk to HR and even better to someone who already works there. Some places might have a shortage of management and that would be the fastest way up. Or they might be looking for full time drivers and you'd have a chance to bid a driver job quickly, then go into management from there (and that's not a bad option if you're needing income and benefits). I've seen it both ways - part time supervisors stuck for 10 years waiting for a chance, and part time hourly waiting 10 years for drivers to retire to get a shot to drive. But then I saw a part time preloader go from off the street to part time supervisor in under a year and full time within a year of that.

Thank you for that very informative post. I am going to my states main location. Im not sure the terminology, but I applied to one of the smaller facilities and the HR said, no your not working there, we need someone like you here (at the main facility in my state). She definitely through out a lot of main buzz words such as "6 weeks as a loader and youll be a supervisor". and she even mentioned District and regional manager postions. She stated i would not be a loader ver long. Now I know some will say she is blowing smoke, but I kind of felt she had no reason to deceive me. I can read people pretty well (15 years as a cop will do that lol) so I didn't really get that. I mean what would her reasonining be? She sees hundreds of applicants a week. What does she care about me? At least thats how i interpreted it.

Jody43

Lets start with where you would like to be. If its CEO, then your chances are pretty damn slim.
Nah, i aint no CEO. lol, But I was a field trainer (police) and love managing my rookies. I was always fair and treated everyone equally and with respect until, of course, that respect was not appreciated.

Nah, i aint no CEO. lol, But I was a field trainer (police) and love managing my rookies. I was always fair and treated everyone equally and with respect until, of course, that respect was not appreciated.
Could you manage 30-35 year rookies?