Moving to management

Jody43

You'll definitely start as a PT Sup. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but just remember that the people you'll be managing RUN THE BUILDING...not you. Sorry, if you don't believe me try pissing off a boxline sort table just one time.
Ask questions and listen to the people who have been there a while, they will give you the best advice, trust me.
Take care of your team. Technically you're not allowed to touch packages anymore unless you're training someone after joining management, but if you can get away with it at your hub, help them out when it gets heavy. Remember who you were if the burgundy shirt corrupts you.
Whatever decision you make, just remember that it's only packages. Good luck to you.
Thank you!

PalletDockShifter

I’m a late 30 something former cop (hated job) that just took a job at UPS as a package loader on the midnight shift. I have a college degree and and a good resume. I was pulled aside by HR to give it 6 weeks and I’d be on my way to management etc (HR said even the CEO) started as a package handler. I have job now, but want my foot in the door with a company like UPS. HR also told me to
Stick it out for “6weeks”. Was HR blowing smoke? Or will my prior Police experience and other career accomplishments really get me to where I would like to be.
Thanks
Dont go into management. Its a buddy buddy system. You can make more money as a driver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So is it like an us (union) against them (Mgt) mentality there? I am a little put off by the HR manager.
If you (1) have morals (2) ambition (3) talent, you will HATE life with a passion if you get stuck somewhere in operations management, with the wanna be military, frat-boy failures that already exist there.

isonend

So is it like an us (union) against them (Mgt) mentality there? I am a little put off by the HR manager.

Doesn't have to be. Make up your own mind. There will be some who try to convince you that all (management) (union) people are (perfect)(evil). None of them are 100% correct.

As for what path is going to get you the most money - That depends on how you want to measure your income. If you go into full time driving you'll be paid well by the hour. You'll be getting some overtime pay every week - maybe a lot of it, if you want it. The pay rates will be changing in the new contract and who knows it might go back to a three-year progression to the top rate (it's four years now). So after the new contract you could pretty easily figure out what you would be making as a driver. But plan on about 50 hours a week.

Full time management is on salary. They will tell you that a full-time supervisor is expected to work 50 hours a week. That's sugar-coating it. 60 is more normal. During peak it can be 70 or more, easily. And it can be 6 days a week if your building runs Saturdays. A starting full time on-road supervisor is going to get paid more per year than a lot of drivers - but if he divides his salary by the number of hours he works, his hourly rate is probably less.

But that's operations. There are lots of other areas. If you get into security, the hours are not as long, although they can be unusual times of day. And there is more opportunity to advance. Full time driving (package or feeder) is a good career that pays a wage you can raise a family on. But that's as far as you're going to go as an hourly employee. Management will give you more choices of what to do, and will also take less of a toll on your body.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Doesn't have to be. Make up your own mind. There will be some who try to convince you that all (management) (union) people are (perfect)(evil). None of them are 100% correct.

As for what path is going to get you the most money - That depends on how you want to measure your income. If you go into full time driving you'll be paid well by the hour. You'll be getting some overtime pay every week - maybe a lot of it, if you want it. The pay rates will be changing in the new contract and who knows it might go back to a three-year progression to the top rate (it's four years now). So after the new contract you could pretty easily figure out what you would be making as a driver. But plan on about 50 hours a week.

Full time management is on salary. They will tell you that a full-time supervisor is expected to work 50 hours a week. That's sugar-coating it. 60 is more normal. During peak it can be 70 or more, easily. And it can be 6 days a week if your building runs Saturdays. A starting full time on-road supervisor is going to get paid more per year than a lot of drivers - but if he divides his salary by the number of hours he works, his hourly rate is probably less.

But that's operations. There are lots of other areas. If you get into security, the hours are not as long, although they can be unusual times of day. And there is more opportunity to advance. Full time driving (package or feeder) is a good career that pays a wage you can raise a family on. But that's as far as you're going to go as an hourly employee. Management will give you more choices of what to do, and will also take less of a toll on your body.

All the cool kids go to I.E.

Over disciplined0123

I’m a late 30 something former cop (hated job) that just took a job at UPS as a package loader on the midnight shift. I have a college degree and and a good resume. I was pulled aside by HR to give it 6 weeks and I’d be on my way to management etc (HR said even the CEO) started as a package handler. I have job now, but want my foot in the door with a company like UPS. HR also told me to
Stick it out for “6weeks”. Was HR blowing smoke? Or will my prior Police experience and other career accomplishments really get me to where I would like to be.
Thanks
Whatever you do only accept a fulltime supervisor position to start. I had many friends take that management route and were partime for years and left the company and I still here 30 years later.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Thanks
UPS management opportunities appear to have decreased significantly over the last 20+ years.

Almost anyone can become a part-time supervisor but it is hardly a management job.

It is more like a foreman's position without the Union protection that many foreman jobs provide.

Over the years I have seen very little upward mobility of part-time supervisors.

I see part-time supervision as a highly abused and oppressed segment of the UPS workforce.

Over disciplined0123

UPS management opportunities appear to have decreased significantly over the last 20+ years.

Almost anyone can become a part-time supervisor but it is hardly a management job.

It is more like a foreman's position without the Union protection that many foreman jobs provide.

Over the years I have seen very little upward mobility of part-time supervisors.

I see part-time supervision as a highly abused and oppressed segment of the UPS workforce.
So how are they replacing the many many number of managers that retired in the last 5 years I can tell you. Hire more low paying Part time supervisor jobs. Lol. 21 years old kids with no clue about life or any social skills because of having their face buried in their cell phones. Instagram. Facebook snapchat.

KoennenTiger

Oh already? They are bringing guys in to drive straight off the street in my center. Now you get to go to integrad then come back and pass your driver packet and you're good to go.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

This can be true.
Strip out a small fraction of a PT sups decision-making skills and you have a bunch of foremen in disguise. Play the cards right and you could unionize the position and let the real decisions trickle up to the FT sup.