Moving to supervising -- need advice!

Hey everyone. I've been working at UPS for about a month in a half at the Seattle hub. They have a lot of job openings there are they are taking people with low seniority so I moved out of loading and into sorting in my second or third week. I have been running missorts since then, getting the hang of how things work and what not, but then I talked to one of the supes yesterday about moving into supervising and he said that if I wanted the job it would be worthwhile to send my letter in now since they are in such great need. Another guy told me that I might want to wait until I get to know how things work more, any thoughts? I'm sure a lot of it is a personality thing, and I would think of myself as able to pick up new things quickly, but would I still make for a bad supe because I haven't been here as long as most? Thanks.

-Stephen

robot

Has A Large Member
personally i'd wait a bit. also take into consideration your long term goals with the company. there are some part time supes in our hub who have been part time since i've started there. 12+ years.

personally i'd wait a bit. also take into consideration your long term goals with the company. there are some part time supes in our hub who have been part time since i've started there. 12+ years.

I don't have considerably long term goals with the company. I would say two years or less. What I really want to do is make the best of my time at UPS, being a supe will bring in a little extra cash and it will be good work experience. But I really don't know how long I will work there, but I would be surprised if it is longer than two years.

Fnix

I don't have considerably long term goals with the company. I would say two years or less. What I really want to do is make the best of my time at UPS, being a supe will bring in a little extra cash and it will be good work experience. But I really don't know how long I will work there, but I would be surprised if it is longer than two years.

go for it then

retired2000

you might as well go for it because chances are they will get rid of yu before the 2 years are up. they just use you new guys for a little while then they spit you out when they are done with you

UPS Lifer

You have already made your mind up....

I never took anyone with less than 6 months experience into supervision. You will be supervising people when you barely know the job yourself!! You will challenged & tested every step of the way and will have MUCH difficulty gaining anyone's respect that has more time in than you. Also your self confidence will drop quickly with every wrong decision you make. Everything will be downhill after that.

The reason I am saying this is ...it sounds like the operation is desperate. That means they won't have time to train you properly. You will eventually leave UPS with a VERY bad taste in your mouth.

If you wait just till peak is over - you stand a much better chance of being successful. You will gain knowledge at "learning the ropes" and be able to make better decisions. Your co-workers will have a greater respect for you because you proved yourself during peak. When you leave in 2 years you will have real supervisor experience besides just the "writing" on the resume.

Sorry to sound negative but I tell it like it is and I want you to be successful!
If nothing else...make sure you are trained properly to do your job!

DO YOURSELF AND YOUR CO-WORKERS A FAVOR AND WAIT!!!

Last edited:

filthpig

You have already made your mind up....

I never took anyone with less than 6 months experience into supervision. You will be supervising people when you barely know the job yourself!! You will challenged & tested every step of the way and will have MUCH difficulty gaining anyone's respect that has more time in than you. Also your self confidence will drop quickly with every wrong decision you make. Everything will be downhill after that.

The reason I am saying this is ...it sounds like the operation is desperate. That means they won't have time to train you properly. You will eventually leave UPS with a VERY bad taste in your mouth.

If you wait just till peak is over - you stand a much better chance of being successful. You will gain knowledge at "learning the ropes" and be able to make better decisions. Your co-workers will have a greater respect for you because you proved yourself during peak. When you leave in 2 years you will have real supervisor experience besides just the "writing" on the resume.

Sorry to sound negative but I tell it like it is and I want you to be successful!

Listen to this guy! You do not want to go into your first peak as a supe. There's a good chance you'll get fired for someone else's screwup.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
, but then I talked to one of the supes yesterday about moving into supervising and he said that if I wanted the job it would be worthwhile to send my letter in now since they are in such great need.
-Stephen

Not trying to be a smartass here Stephen but I think you pretty much have your answer in the quote I highlighted. Wonder why they have such a great need for p/t sups? I've seen alot of them come and go. Most want to go full time sooner or later but management here is not willing to let them go and have to train someone to take their place. They usually quit after having to wait forever or being the scapegoat for anything that happens. I haven't seen many hang on very long around here.

Good luck to you on your decision. Its a tough row to hoe but it may be your cup of tea.

DS

Fenderbender
You will eventually leave UPS with a VERY bad taste in your mouth. That taste can be very bitter as a supervisor that is expected to do the impossible

I can't agree more...ups tastes like WD40 mixed with diesel fumes and green tea and rubber with hints of poo sometimes

Ru.

my opinion. give it some time. you need to find out a lot more before you take the leap into a supervisor role. like the previous post said. get training now. then make yourself the go to guy. so that when the time comes they won't think about loosing you. this job is hard, and will be more so without experience. 6 - 12 months is what i would suggest then if you're still keen - go for it.

Hey everyone. I've been working at UPS for about a month in a half at the Seattle hub. They have a lot of job openings there are they are taking people with low seniority so I moved out of loading and into sorting in my second or third week. I have been running missorts since then, getting the hang of how things work and what not, but then I talked to one of the supes yesterday about moving into supervising and he said that if I wanted the job it would be worthwhile to send my letter in now since they are in such great need. Another guy told me that I might want to wait until I get to know how things work more, any thoughts? I'm sure a lot of it is a personality thing, and I would think of myself as able to pick up new things quickly, but would I still make for a bad supe because I haven't been here as long as most? Thanks.

-Stephen

Stephen,
How would you feel if you got a pt sup job? And they said "show up tomorrow morning at 3:30 in city center, you're a new preload sup."

damaged

Where did he go? What happened to him? It's the aliens. They abduct supervisors. If you like earth don't become a supervisor.

helenofcalifornia

UPS lifer was right on. Wait until after peak. You will have a lot more street cred with your workers. Great advice-listen to it. Don't rush into this. Don't listen to the Sirens and their songs.

Q

QTT

Stephen,
How would you feel if you got a pt sup job? And they said "show up tomorrow morning at 3:30 in city center, you're a new preload sup."

That is extremely rare for a large metro hub...Unless you're a puke and your manager does that to get you to quit. I've never seen it happen.

I'd say go for it, but only for the right reasons. No, I'm not a super pro union 20 year vet who hates management. In fact, 7 years ago I was just like you; a a kid in college tryin to pay for school, slanging packages in the hub at night (same one as you, in fact), with no intentions of going into management or sticking around.

Well, a few months into it went into PT management, finished school a couple years later, and before I knew it was in FT management. Earlier this year I was promoted to manager.

Two months ago I saw writing on the wall and quit.

No, I didnt have a problem with the 14 hour days, working every weekend plus holidays, getting your ass kicked for whatever decision you ever made, or being expected to turn on a dime at a moments notice. And it wasnt due to lack of performance since obviously I moved up fast. It's because the culture is changing (for the worst), and the theme of the future is simply "do more for less".

The company is moving in the wrong direction and going into management today is not what it was 15, 10, or even 5 years ago. At the highest levels: too many hands on the wheel and nobody's steering. Front line folks get dumped on more than ever, and UPS is far from the most attractive outfit on the block to work for, as it may have been years ago.

Do it for the right reason...Get some experience if you want, and move on. Dont make a career out of it unless you want to be bitter. I dont regret my time at UPS. Great experience. Decent money. Hardest working folks around. But dont get trapped, because next thing you know it's 15 years later and you have no applicable skills to make it in any other industry and you're a lifer.

So I left and never looked back. Now I work in a different industry, make twice as much, work less hours, and have about half the stress.

Good luck.

nickelback

Educated Hillbilly
To quote Nancy Reagan "Just say no". I've been at UPS for 20 years, and out of umpteen PT and FT supes, only 2 are still with the company. From what I've heard they are in some remote discreet location sorting through old COD turn ins, or anything else they can do and try to get someone fired. Go to college, get a degree and get as far away from Brown as you can. That's the advice I tell anyone, including my children when they ask about a career at Uncle Buster. I may sound bitter, but life is too short to be miserable.