MT3 is Matthew Thornton III

MAKAVELI

But what? Well, save some key strokes and call him a token if that's what you're saying. No reason to clean it up...is there?
All I'm sayin is it doesn't matter what color you are. If you are incapable of providing leadership and the opco is sliding into the abyss then maybe it's time to change said leadership, Fred S included.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But what? Well, save some key strokes and call him a token if that's what you're saying. No reason to clean it up...is there?
All I'm sayin is it doesn't matter what color you are. If you are incapable of providing leadership and the opco is sliding into the abyss then maybe it's time to change said leadership, Fred S included.
I totally agree but I think the egos at the top have themselves convinced that they can do no wrong and hourly help is to blame for everything.

Hate 150lb Packages

I agree with bbsam. Race plays no role in this. I can sotmach the idea of big business crapping on the little guy, but knowlignly placing someone in front of cameras and in a position of power just because of race is sick. I don't buy it, even from FedEx. I'm native american. If the entire top echelon of FedEx were native, from the same tribe as me even, I'd still want them all thrown out on the street. Just as much so with all of them being white. Thrown out for bad business, not for race.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

People hate Thornton because he's an incompetent, lying, A-hole of epic proportions. It has nothing to do with race. He's simply an idiot who happens to also be a major dick.

bbsam

Staff member
People hate Thornton because he's an incompetent, lying, A-hole of epic proportions. It has nothing to do with race. He's simply an idiot who happens to also be a major dick.

Oh. Well I think you would agree that that has nothing to do with trotting him out blah, blah, blah, diversity, blah, blah, blah. You brought up race, not me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh. Well I think you would agree that that has nothing to do with trotting him out blah, blah, blah, diversity, blah, blah, blah. You brought up race, not me.

They also use him as an example of "diversity". Despites claims to the contrary, there aren't many minorities in management, especially upper management. I would say he is definitely "trotted out" whenever possible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And what then is the difference between that and a token?

Then maybe he is a token, and that's on FedEx, not us. I would love to see a higher proportion of our management (especially upper management) be minorities. A few years back, I heard from a very reliable source that a white member of upper management came-out as gay and promptly "left FedEx to pursue other opportunities". This is internal code-speak for showing them the door. In short, FedEx talks a lot about diversity and does very little to make it happen.

bbsam

Staff member
Ok. Then just come out and call him a token and don't act like it isn't about race. But I doubt that you know enough about his actual job duties to honestly come to that assessment.

STFXG

I would love to see a higher proportion of our management (especially upper management) be minorities..

Why would you care about their race? Wouldn't you just prefer the most qualified individual? Or do you dislike the "token" mt3, but would prefer more tokens?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would you care about their race? Wouldn't you just prefer the most qualified individual? Or do you dislike the "token" mt3, but would prefer more tokens?

Sigh. I repeat, (REPEAT) that I dislike Thornton because he's an incompetent jerk. His race is NOT a factor to me. It is a factor to MEM, because they apparently think that having Matt be the face of Express shows "diversity". In my mind, he has proven himself to be unqualified for the position he currently holds. Memphis obviously feels otherwise, at least for now. The most-qualified individual is always preferred, although in a company like Express, the most-qualified individual might well be a minority, and based on past actions, that person probably won't get the job. Is that clear enough for you?