MT3 is Matthew Thornton III

bbsam

Staff member
It is obvious you do not understand. If somebody came up to me and said, "Oh, you're the black contractor. Fedex Ground is wonderfully diverse!". And you would put THAT on the company and not the :censored2: commentator?

MAKAVELI

It is obvious you do not understand. If somebody came up to me and said, "Oh, you're the black contractor. Fedex Ground is wonderfully diverse!". And you would put THAT on the company and not the :censored2: commentator?
It seems you are in denial about how this company operates.

bbsam

Staff member
It seems you are in denial about how this company operates.

I am not in denial of the absurd conclusions individuals arrive at on their own. It's possible MFE and Memphis both see Mr. Thornton first and foremost as a quota filler token employee. Neither one will say it though and it's incredibly insulting to people who have put in the long hours and hard work to progress in a company to have it all watered down to race and then insist that's not what is being said.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You're obviously not familiar with Express culture, Frontline, or it's star, the beloved Uncle Mattie. If you were, I could have a real dialogue with you. All I know is that Thornton is a jerk who is reviled by most hourlies. Yes, it's entirely possible and quite probable that he worked very hard to get where he's at. Unfortunately, he's where he's at most likely because he's the biggest A-hole available. FedEx uses Matt as their spokesperson for Express, and yes, I put it on them if he is viewed as a token. I don't have access to the inner sanctum of Express to know whether it was by design or just the fact that he heads Express that he is the media point person.

bbsam

Staff member
Doesn't matter. You see what you see. He could be a nameless executive of WalMart or Target and you would have the same first instinct. Why? Because there is no content or thought needed to determine "diversity" hire. You speak more of yourself than of the company. Who knows? Maybe he screwed the right executive wives to get to the top. That never entered your mind though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Doesn't matter. You see what you see. He could be a nameless executive of WalMart or Target and you would have the same first instinct. Why? Because there is no content or thought needed to determine "diversity" hire. You speak more of yourself than of the company. Who knows? Maybe he screwed the right executive wives to get to the top. That never entered your mind though.

Matt is a jerk who is my oppressor. That's all I really care about. If he fell off a cliff tomorrow, the world would be a better place.

vantexan

Yes. Tuck it away and let's all pretend it's not there.

It'll never go away because people of all races have an axe to grind. No matter how he got there, he's there, and he has the right to be criticized for his policies as much as anyone. If we can't criticize him because it'll always be about the subtext then the world won't get better because you and others won't let it. Get over yourself already. You make considerably more than I do and yet will you ever be able to enjoy it with all the injustice in the world?

bbsam

Staff member
It'll never go away because people of all races have an axe to grind. No matter how he got there, he's there, and he has the right to be criticized for his policies as much as anyone. If we can't criticize him because it'll always be about the subtext then the world won't get better because you and others won't let it. Get over yourself already. You make considerably more than I do and yet will you ever be able to enjoy it with all the injustice in the world?
My point exactly. Criticizing policy is great. Calling him a "token" or "uncle Tom" doesn't do that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just like to point out that you were the first to use either term on this thread.

bbsam (who is black) asks an interesting question. I think that you can extrapolate from some of my statements that "Matt is a token". I don't come out and say it, but I understand where bbsam is coming from. I honestly don't know whether he is a token OR a "Tom", but my comment is based on the observation that Thornton does spend a disproportionate amount of time in front of the camera in comparison to our other "leaders". He also started appearing a lot more often after FedEx lost some high-profile discrimination suits (settled).

As for the "Tom" part, the upper management at FedEx is clearly GOP. In fact, it is unwise to be anything but a Republican or espouse anything but Right Wing views if you are in FedEx management. It's a career-killer to not think like Fred. So, I would expect Matt is probably a registered Republican who says all the correct "Right" things to keep himself in favor with Fred. However, since the GOP isn't exactly the friend of minorities, maybe MT3 has a bit of Tom in him. I don't really know...just hypothesizing.

Oh...late freight again today. No worries. DRA will figure it all out..LOFL.

vantexan

bbsam (who is black) asks an interesting question. I think that you can extrapolate from some of my statements that "Matt is a token". I don't come out and say it, but I understand where bbsam is coming from. I honestly don't know whether he is a token OR a "Tom", but my comment is based on the observation that Thornton does spend a disproportionate amount of time in front of the camera in comparison to our other "leaders". He also started appearing a lot more often after FedEx lost some high-profile discrimination suits (settled).

As for the "Tom" part, the upper management at FedEx is clearly GOP. In fact, it is unwise to be anything but a Republican or espouse anything but Right Wing views if you are in FedEx management. It's a career-killer to not think like Fred. So, I would expect Matt is probably a registered Republican who says all the correct "Right" things to keep himself in favor with Fred. However, since the GOP isn't exactly the friend of minorities, maybe MT3 has a bit of Tom in him. I don't really know...just hypothesizing.

It was the party of Lincoln that emancipated the slaves. It was the same party that pushed the Civil Rights Act through. It's the same party that pushes self reliance instead of handouts. If the Democrats are minority friendly it's because they pass out money in exchange for votes. They aren't doing anyone any favors and have demonstrated that they have a lack of understanding of the relationship of spending and debt and the hazards thereof. When it all comes crashing down in won't be the fault of fiscal conservatives although that's the way it'll be spun. And before you say it I think the herding of America's workforce into corporate McJobs by fatcat Republicans is almost as bad. Either way this country is going down the tubes and those holding their hands out screaming for something for nothing are equally complicit.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It was the party of Lincoln that emancipated the slaves. It was the same party that pushed the Civil Rights Act through. It's the same party that pushes self reliance instead of handouts. If the Democrats are minority friendly it's because they pass out money in exchange for votes. They aren't doing anyone any favors and have demonstrated that they have a lack of understanding of the relationship of spending and debt and the hazards thereof. When it all comes crashing down in won't be the fault of fiscal conservatives although that's the way it'll be spun. And before you say it I think the herding of America's workforce into corporate McJobs by fatcat Republicans is almost as bad. Either way this country is going down the tubes and those holding their hands out screaming for something for nothing are equally complicit.

Van is clearly too brain washed by Fox News.
The Republican Party of Lincoln is hardly the Republicans of today, basically it's only the same name.
The South was lost to Democrats as soon as they voted FOR the civil rights act.

The republicans and conservatives during the time as far back as FDR were excorciating Democrats and Roosevelt for a bunch of New Deal programs that they said would give equal rights to blacks.
The leaders of the conservative movement slandered and spread rumors of Eleanor Roosevelt and a Black man(he was her driver).
Read about the republicans and big business alignments of the 1930s fighting the New Deal, they used every race baiting and downright racist language to smear FDR(the leaders of the opposition used the "N" word openly, without regard as to Dems giving the country away to them,sounds awfully familiar to me)
To say the modern day Republican Party is anything but a racist, bigotted organization would be a lie.

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

And you say they get votes because they "pass money out!" I mean really?
Where , I never got any.

Go ahead and bring up your bogus acorn arguments, or the fake IRS scandal,
Self reliance?, then tell all the corporations like big oil to go friend off and survive without all their subsidies.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As for the "Tom" part, the upper management at FedEx is clearly GOP. In fact, it is unwise to be anything but a Republican or espouse anything but Right Wing views if you are in FedEx management. It's a career-killer to not think like Fred.

Two gay seniors and a gay ops manager within 75 miles of here and a MD who is bisexual. Two of the four are hard left and three of them have more BZ's than you can shake a stick at. So yes, quite the career killer to not toe the GOP line.

bbsam

Staff member

You and I probably are not going to see eye to eye on this, and that's ok. But you have shown an open mindedness that I didn't expect and it is refreshing. Thank you.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The republicans and conservatives during the time as far back as FDR were excorciating Democrats and Roosevelt for a bunch of New Deal programs that they said would give equal rights to blacks.
The leaders of the conservative movement slandered and spread rumors of Eleanor Roosevelt and a Black man(he was her driver).
Read about the republicans and big business alignments of the 1930s fighting the New Deal, they used every race baiting and downright racist language to smear FDR(the leaders of the opposition used the "N" word openly, without regard as to Dems giving the country away to them,sounds awfully familiar to me)

I guess the fact that Democrat governors in segregated states during the Jim Crow era fought so hard to maintain segregation is a testament to GOP racism. Or that those same states had been dominated by Democrats for years, that was more GOP racism at work. In fact, where Democrats either sought to codify racial segregation, maintain it, or both, that's proof that the GOP is racist.

To say the modern day Republican Party is anything but a racist, bigotted organization would be a lie.

Put down the pamphlets and go outside every now and then.

hypo hanna

I would be interested to know what YOUR definition of a token is if it is not what has been described.
MY definition would be much the same as the dictionary...

4. One that represents a group, as an employee whose presence is used to deflect from the employer criticism or accusations of discrimination.