must ask permission to go to the restroom

City Driver

i honestly dont see the big deal about pissing between the trailers

its not like the concrete of the yard right underneath the dock gets alot of foot traffic, if any....why would somebody be walking there? i never do...open and close swing doors after you pull straight out past the trailers next to it.....and it dries its not like theres 50 years of overnite piss floating under our dock

and when im in the yard jockeying ill go in the grass in the corner of the yard

herbigharo32

It is considered most considerate to let your coworker know that you will be away for a short time. When working with someone, I let them know that I will be away by saying "I'm taking a 5". As far as a supervisor denying use of restroom or water, inform the supervisor that doing so is in violation of both OSHA and UPS protocols. Bottom line, if a worker passes out due to heat exhaustion and requires medical attention, the entire facility will get dinged on injury resulting from safety violation.

KidUPS

I would challenge him and use the bathroom when you needed to. If he wants to discipline you,let him. Grieve it, if you lose and get fired sue UPS. Do you think UPS would want a story like this to go public? They would get rid of that power happy greenhorn before they let you go.

If Supervisor is present at all times during the operation...and he directs the work group numerous times to inform him before leaving to the restroom (And has this PCM documented or even done in front of a steward)...and you walk right past him one night while his back is turned burdening all the problems of his employees, operation, customers and bosses...Well, you better believe if this supervisor is worth his salt, you will have some documentation headed your way. It maybe be progressive discipline. Or maybe something along the lines of failing to work as directed...Either or, I doubt UPS would be worried much about you suing the company.

Management cannot tell you yes or no in regards to using the bathroom. I believe that has already been established. And you would of known that had you took the time to read. Management, however, can monitor the length of time and amount of time used for restroom breaks. And in that case, the employee better be prepared to retrieve a doctors note.

Like Tie Guy mention, its pretty clear to me that the supervisor is trying to prevent certain employees from taking advantage of the entire work group. Unfortunately for the supervisor, having the courage to try and make things fair for everyone (Company/Union Employees), he is probably being targeted and labeled a overzealous supervisor by his work group (And I am sure he is probably being called worse things then that.)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i honestly dont see the big deal about pissing between the trailers

its not like the concrete of the yard right underneath the dock gets alot of foot traffic, if any....why would somebody be walking there? i never do...open and close swing doors after you pull straight out past the trailers next to it.....and it dries its not like theres 50 years of overnite piss floating under our dock

and when im in the yard jockeying ill go in the grass in the corner of the yard

I cannot believe that you are justifying public urination?! Even people without indoor plumbing have the decency to use the outhouse.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If you urinate between trailers on the ground side of Big Brown, I can almost guarantee someone is going to walk in it.

That is, if that person is using proper coupling methods and walking the length of the trailer announcing to all concerned that they are about to hook up.

over9five

Staff member
How 'bout the next guy or gal who uses the shifter? You just peed outside, didn't wash your hands, and now someone else has to touch that steering wheel.

Yuck!

tourists24

is there something wrong with the restrooms where you are? you cant be that lazy as to not walk to a bathroom to take a leak.

City Driver

yes actually our bathroom is disgusting, mainly trashed by disrespectful dockworkers and drivers....you dont even wanna know some of the things i seen in there

jennie

yes actually our bathroom is disgusting, mainly trashed by disrespectful dockworkers and drivers....you dont even wanna know some of the things i seen in there

I know, so bad, all the money they have too and the women's bathroom is terrible.
"Always remember, before you sit, look to see if there is t-paper, :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A warehouse I deliver to was having a similar problem with "excessive" time being taken by its employees for bathroom breaks. The restroom was on the other end of the building, several minutes away.

Someone in management for that company had the bright idea to rent a porta-potti and place it near where these employees worked. The small expense of the porta-potti was far outweighed by the huge decrease in lost time by the employees.

Sometimes the best solutions for every one are also the simplest ones.

soberups

How 'bout the next guy or gal who uses the shifter? You just peed outside, didn't wash your hands, and now someone else has to touch that steering wheel.

Yuck!

If you know what you are doing, you can pee without touching your junk or getting any on your hands. Thats what those holes in the front of mens underwear are for.

filthpig

I had a supe who tried this crap once. Once. He told me to "take my bathroom breaks on break." I told him there wasn't a man walking who could tell me when I can and cannot go to the bathroom. That ended quickly.

soberups

I cannot believe that you are justifying public urination?! Even people without indoor plumbing have the decency to use the outhouse.

"Public" urination means you are whipping it out in broad daylight in front of everyone, and I will agree that isnt a decent thing to do.

There is a big difference between that, and a feeder driver or shifter walking back behind a trailer in a corner of the yard at night to take a quick leak.

If no one sees it or steps in it , who cares?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

"Public" urination means you are whipping it out in broad daylight in front of everyone, and I will agree that isnt a decent thing to do.

There is a big difference between that, and a feeder driver or shifter walking back behind a trailer in a corner of the yard at night to take a quick leak.

If no one sees it or steps in it , who cares?
THAT'S IT!!! Just because no one see's/steps in it at that moment doesn't mean the urine magically disappears. Rain doesn't wash it away either, it just spreads it along a little more. Come on now people, what are we becoming if we can't take the (paid) time to walk to a restroom and pee?

Does the same thing happen at your house's? You're mowing the lawn and get the urge to go. Do you say, there's a good spot over there, near my wife's rear tire? No one will see me. It won't eventually start smelling bad in that area. I guarantee you that if you all tell your wive's what you've been doing, they'd take exception to it, and ask you to stop.

tieguy

Banned
THAT'S IT!!! Just because no one see's/steps in it at that moment doesn't mean the urine magically disappears. Rain doesn't wash it away either, it just spreads it along a little more. Come on now people, what are we becoming if we can't take the (paid) time to walk to a restroom and pee?

Does the same thing happen at your house's? You're mowing the lawn and get the urge to go. Do you say, there's a good spot over there, near my wife's rear tire? No one will see me. It won't eventually start smelling bad in that area. I guarantee you that if you all tell your wive's what you've been doing, they'd take exception to it, and ask you to stop.

You can always tell too. Certain parts of the yard would have that urine stink to it until you had a good rain wash it away.

City Driver

i still dont see the big deal

also sometimes dockworkers climb down a ladder into the yard and go to this small grass patch by a fence to pee (and smoke cigarettes, me not included)

but even peeing into the yard isnt a big deal to me at all.....like i said im a jockey, driver and dockworker and i cant think of the last time my feet were in the yard right under the dock......you always pull the trailer out before pretrip or closing swing doors

If I need to pee I dont- and will not- ask, I just go do it. Grow some gonads. And yes, fedex, we are union although you wouldn`t know by reading these stupid posts.