My 1st day as a ft driver

PTer4Ever

Well, after training a month ago yesterday was my first day on the road with a supervisor. He drove the whole day while I tried to learn the area that I'll be in for my 30.

It was a very interesting experience. I worked my tail off just as I expected. I'm typing this after taking 2 advil getting ready for today. Icy sidewalks and curbs are a PITA. Sup wanted me to hustle a bit more but I decided I wasn't going to crack my skull for anyone. The biggest problem I see is just learning the area well enough to where I don't have to check my atlas ever 3 stops to figure out where I'm going next. We ran so far off trace yesterday that I was completely clueless after 11am. I really didn't have a clue where we were or going to next. The route from what I hear is a tough one. There were a ton of commercial bulk stops for machine shops. No lunch due to a bunch of late airs coming in, regular preloader called in, and another driver dumped a bunch of stops on us. He waited 30 minutes for us to meet him...

My on-car was a really cool guy. Upbeat, personable, dedicated to getting work done. I just wish that he would have done things a bit more "by the book" so I could have followed along. Today I think I'll try to focus more on where stuff is and taking notes so when it's my turn to drive I won't be completely lost. A little overwhelming is how I would describe it.

I'm tired, extremely sore, a little nervous, and extremely excited to be provided the opportunity to service my customers well and be compensated fairly for it. I know it won't be easy, but I also know that I'm not expected to be perfect right out of the gate. I will do the best I can and I will get better as time goes on.

Ms Spoken

Hey PT all of us drivers have been in your shoes before and what your feeling is common. Your first few days will be crazy as your working on learning were ever thing is at. Pay attention to where your sup parks the truck, what door to delv at were to find the person to sign for everything. Until you learn everyones last name always ask right after they sign the board to say "and your last name is?" say thank you and head on out the door. For 30 days you need to keep your head down and work as hard as you can with hurting yourself or anyone else. Make sure you leave the pkgs out of sight when you DR them. (you don't want a driver follow up for a missing pkg) As for the learning the streets that will come in time. Good Luck and congrats on moving up in this world. Rmember: ONE STOP AT A TIME

filthpig

Were I you, I would get a copy of the delivery record for the last date that a "regular" ran the route. That helped me a lot. Also, this weekend, drive around the route and better familiarize yourself with it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sounds like my normal day. I'm still dazed and confused and I've been on the same area for 15 years. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
You are not full time yet, please tell the sup that you want to be his best driver so your training by him should be the best too! If he takes shortcuts that compromise safety ask him if he was testing you. Remember safety 1st. I would also try to get at least 1/2 of your lunch in while he is on car with you. Good luck!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Be Careful On Popping Those Advils,it Will Do A Job On Your Stomache ! Sports Creme And A Hot Bath Will Help Too!!! We Have All Been There Dont Let The Bad Days Get You Down,remember Good Or Bad The Day Will End Some How Keep Us Posted There Are Alot Of Great People With Years Of Exp. On This Board That Are Open To Help You '' Be One With The Parcel'' Carry On !!

local804

Were I you, I would get a copy of the delivery record for the last date that a "regular" ran the route. That helped me a lot. Also, this weekend, drive around the route and better familiarize yourself with it.

Why bother when he can follow edd?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I like what matt had to say about telling your sup you want to be the best in his group.

A couple of things, that as a former driver trainer, that your sup is screwing you up on since you are really a newbie to delivery

It was a very interesting experience..... The biggest problem I see is just learning the area well enough to where I don't have to check my atlas ever 3 stops to figure out where I'm going next. We ran so far off trace yesterday that I was completely clueless after 11am. I really didn't have a clue where we were or going to next. The route from what I hear is a tough one. There were a ton of commercial bulk stops for machine shops. No lunch due to a bunch of late airs coming in, regular preloader called in, and another driver dumped a bunch of stops on us. He waited 30 minutes for us to meet him...

I realize that there were extenuating circumstances with the air and all, but if you really want to overload a new driver, take work off another driver just because there are two of you on the truck.

Your sup needs to focus on getting you used to your route. If you are delivering someone else’s stuff, you are getting overload.

The first day I drove and the driver I was training did the deliveries. The second day, I did all the deliveries, he did the driving and the setting up. The third day, I assisted in his deliveries, but only assisted. I would only answer some questions, he had to figure most things out on his own. Sometimes, if the route was really complicated, we would take a fourth day. But I tried to keep only the stops on the run that the driver would normally run, nothing extra. Its not fair to the trainee. I also had maps that I custom made to each route (remember, I bid into cover driver after 20+ years on the same route) for myself, that I shared with the new driver. One map for each section of each shelf. That seemed to help a lot.

As has been mentioned, one package at a time, one shelf at a time, do it right the first time, and of utmost importance, drive and work safe.

All of us here in delivery have been where you are right now, and if we could make it, so can you.

Best to you!

d

Bad Gas!

One problem with learning areas now is the EDD range.You eventually will have to know parts of every route that touches yours.The dispatcher will throw you more curve balls than you've ever seen with splits....GOOD LUCK!

Overpaid Union Thug

If your center is on PAS/EDD then I recommend that you at least follow trace unless it puts you in dangerous situations. Get a good map that isn't huge and fold it so that you can see the area you are in at the time. As you start each area write down which way the numbers run for each street and the splits. When you have done this you'll have an easier day the next day because you'll have a cheat sheet and be able to figure things out quicker and it will help you learn the areas quicker. That's what worked for me anyway. Luckily I had been a TCD (Temporary Cover Driver) for more than 3 years when I went full-time so not much changed other than my pay code in the diad and my medical insurance.

Box_Junkie

The map ideas are great, a very good tip. Also one thing that helped me was: If you are delivering on a street and also have a deliverys on the next street over; the numbers will be parrallel (in the same spot, one street over). I hope that makes sense. This isn't a big thing on small city streets, but it helped me on country roads. It means if you have a 9123 hayes rd. and your next stop is one road over at 11543 ables rd., you'll know that it should be a little farther down and on the same side as the first stop....I hope I explained that clearly. Also if I have to break off trace for an air, I try to deliver stops along the way back to where I left off. It will save you time later on. It will seem like you are behind at first, but eventually you will get faster and know exactly where you stand as far as getting done. good luck:wink2:

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Try to let the job come to you. Don't out-run yourself by trying to do too much. Priority one, stay safe and accident free. If you have a little common sense, the performance numbers will improve as you learn.

Remember that they have a lot invested in you and they want you to succeed. I've been at it for 32 years and still have to remind myself of these things.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Just don't let it overwhelm you. Its hard looking back in that truck and seeing all those packages. This is a marathon......... not a sprint. Get you a good routine going. It seems simple watching an experienced driver delivering. He has his routine down pat. This starts with the basic fundamentals.

Getting your parking spot

Setting your parking brake

Unlatching the seat belt

Pulling your key

Opening the bulkhead door

You are having to think about these things right now but soon it will become a force of habit. Do not get in such a hurry that you work and drive in an unsafe manner! No matter how good you are, an accident will ruin your day. Do not spend time in the back of your car. Every minute you are in your car is one minute you could be delivering. When you are sorting, take the time to get it right. It will save you time down the road.

Good luck to you. It is nerve wracking at first and then one day it just seemed to fall in place for me and everything clicked.

satellitedriver

PT,
You are getting a lot of good advice, from these posts.
Study them, we all want to see you succeed.
Drive your area on your off time and ,really, look around in a relaxed state.
Always, and I mean Always, consider every move you make with safety on your mind.
Best of Luck

D

Dear Rodney

Hey PT good luck!!! I know the exact feeling you have. I was a street hire 2 years ago, and had worked a # of years for another freight company. Every morning before work I was on pins and needles, but when I got behind the wheel WITHOUT supervisor it all come together for me. I'm upto 16 routes I can fill; along with all the baselines upto 4 of those. Before you get your 30 days in you will be so sick of hearing everybody saying be safe!!! But keep your head together and you will be fine.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sounds like my normal day. I'm still dazed and confused and I've been on the same area for 15 years. I'll get the hang of it eventually.
Do you really think we will get the hang of it eventually? Some days I feel just like the new guy:sick:
And remeber new guy, they went in one at a time, and come out basically the same way. If you get overwhelmed, stop, and focus.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One more thing. If you get totally shorted out by the day, take 5. It can help you get your focus and game back on track to just step away from it for a few minutes.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been a covering routes for 8 years. One thing in common with every route I've ever done was bust my butt for the first 3 hours. With PAS/EDD its a lot easier to find ground with air, deliver stops that are close to places you have to deliver air (obviously if you have time).
Some routes you have to follow the same trace all morning where you can't really mess with it. But others I might start my ground where the air takes me. I'd rather work hard in the morning, than work hard after 5pm when I have to make sure I'm in under 9.5.
Some drivers will tell you to stay at the same pace all day, It doesn't work with everybody

PTer4Ever

You guys have offered me some tremendous advice in this post and another that I made and I can't thank you enough.

Yesterday was lousy. Sup drove for all deliveries which we finished by 315. He had me drive for all the pick-ups. Being behind the wheel for the first time when it really "counts" is almost indescribable. I did all the pick-ups, loading, DIAD, etc on my own. He navigated me to the stops. When I left last night he didn't think I'd be coming back this morning. They will be surprised:)

When I got to relax and really think about the day, I guess I can't really complain. We ran scratch, and with me driving I finished all my pick-ups early. Back in the building before 530. I didn't think I did a good job but numbers-wise I think I might have done alright. I'll be doing all the driving today. Hopefully it will be easier to learn the stuff now. Thanks again everyone. I couldn't do it without you.