My 2 Year Record, Is Gone!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's nothing? Maybe a 1 to 1.5 minute brisk walk round-trip. I've walked off mile-long driveways. paved and dirt. Still no way I'm driving in there or anywhere else.

The fastest runner can do a mile in just under 4 minutes. It would take the average Joe 20 to 30 minutes to walk off a mile long driveway there and back. I think not.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do you really walk that driveway off? Hard to tell from the picture but I have to assume that the driveway is either circular in front of the house or has a turn around. I would walk it off the first time just for that reason but would probably drive in after that.

That driveway does in fact have a circular driveway but A) it is a very tight circle made for a GEO metro sized vehicle and 2) I drive a P13 now. There are a lot of driveways that I used to traverse in my P7 but am not getting within 100 yards of in this beast.
My biggest determining factor is that that stop is not one of my regular stops. It is added at tiems when they decide I need extra work. At that point I decide I need extra foot time and foot time equals overtime. If they want me to stay out late, I'll stay out late. It's not work that I can break off for in the middle of the day since it is 5 miles away so it gets done at the end of the day.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That driveway does in fact have a circular driveway but A) it is a very tight circle made for a GEO metro sized vehicle and 2) I drive a P13 now. There are a lot of driveways that I used to traverse in my P7 but am not getting within 100 yards of in this beast.
My biggest determining factor is that that stop is not one of my regular stops. It is added at tiems when they decide I need extra work. At that point I decide I need extra foot time and foot time equals overtime. If they want me to stay out late, I'll stay out late. It's not work that I can break off for in the middle of the day since it is 5 miles away so it gets done at the end of the day.
A P13? How's that working out for ya? Any pictures?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Seeing as how it's twice the length of my previous car, I get to do most of my cardio just walking to the back to get my next stop.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The fastest runner can do a mile in just under 4 minutes. It would take the average Joe 20 to 30 minutes to walk off a mile long driveway there and back. I think not.

I said the DRIVEWAY IN THE PICTURE was roughly a 1 or 1.5 minute walk. Could be wrong, but it doesn't look too long.

I have spent 10 minutes "walking" off packages , hustling, maybe it was a half mile or so, mile round-trip.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I said the DRIVEWAY IN THE PICTURE was roughly a 1 or 1.5 minute walk. Could be wrong, but it doesn't look too long.

I have spent 10 minutes "walking" off packages , hustling, maybe it was a half mile or so, mile round-trip.

Reread your post. You said you have walked off mile long driveways before. I'm just saying that would take way too long.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Reread your post. You said you have walked off mile long driveways before. I'm just saying that would take way too long.

I understand that part. Agree, it does take way too long, however it eliminates any responsibility of an accident on private propert or something made-up by a potential customer having a bad day, just out for blood.

I don't want any large delivery vehicle in my driveway , personally, so that is just how I see it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I understand that part. Agree, it does take way too long, however it eliminates any responsibility of an accident on private propert or something made-up by a potential customer having a bad day, just out for blood.

I don't want any large delivery vehicle in my driveway , personally, so that is just how I see it.
Agreed!

bigblu 2 you

even if that large vehicle is bringing you the sleep number bed,or advanced ab lounge you ordered and cant wait to get?

bigbrownhen

Is this a "city" attitude? Are people that sensitive about thier driveways? I worry about dropping a tire off a driveway, but if they can drive on it, so can I. I have only had one person ask us to stay off of his driveway. It was very steep and just a quick walk off the street anyway, not one I would even think about driving up. Our bumpers would scratch it for certain. Most people around here with a long drive have a good turnaround spot. I've had several tell me "just turn around in the grass, we don't care". There are the occasional difficult ones, I just back first if I know about it, or back out if I don't have a safe spot to whip it around.

Basicly, common sense is the name of the game. Every situation is different.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
even if that large vehicle is bringing you the sleep number bed,or advanced ab lounge you ordered and cant wait to get?

If either are over 70, I will msg center for help. Otherwise there are carry aids for those.

My driveway is very short, personally, maybe 40 feet long. One FedEx ground driver backed into our driveway and almost hit the overhang of our garage (missed by 6 inches). I asked her nicely to move the vehicle and not enter our driveway again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One safety issue the company seems to overlook in its quest to keep us out of driveways involves walking up long driveways in the dark.

My general rule is that if I cant see the house from the road, Im not going to walk it off in the dark. If I cant see the house, then the customer cant see the truck. That means that, to them, I am just some strange person walking up their driveway at night. In rural areas, that is a really good way to get attacked by a dog or shot by a nervous homeowner.

I virtually never enter a driveway in an urban residential area, and I 100% agree with the idea of walking those stops off and driving around the block to get turned around. But when you get outside of city limits, where there arent any streetlights or sidewalks and the "driveways" are measured in 1/4 mile increments instead of feet, the rules for a safe delivery change.

barnyard

KTM rider
that is why I dont change, and I dont have to worry about backing in a drive, unless the swat team is blocking the road.

It is easy to laugh this one off.

A couple of months ago, I stopped for a resi, I heard sirens coming, but did not think anything of it. Went in back, grabbed the package and I was leaving the truck, 2 cops and an ambulance pulled up about 3 houses away. They completely blocked the street. No driveways on this block (garages are accessed by the alley), so I had to do a Y turn to get turned around. Turning a Y with a P1000 with no power steering sucks donkey balls.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One safety issue the company seems to overlook in its quest to keep us out of driveways involves walking up long driveways in the dark.

My general rule is that if I cant see the house from the road, Im not going to walk it off in the dark. If I cant see the house, then the customer cant see the truck. That means that, to them, I am just some strange person walking up their driveway at night. In rural areas, that is a really good way to get attacked by a dog or shot by a nervous homeowner.

I virtually never enter a driveway in an urban residential area, and I 100% agree with the idea of walking those stops off and driving around the block to get turned around. But when you get outside of city limits, where there arent any streetlights or sidewalks and the "driveways" are measured in 1/4 mile increments instead of feet, the rules for a safe delivery change.
Absolutely. Delivering rural is far different than delivering urban.