My Choice forced on customers

40andOut

I received an e-mail stating that UPS "upgraded" my account. In the body of the e-mail it says:

We've added new features to your UPS account which make it easier to view and manage your home deliveries. As a new UPS My Choice member, you already have access to these features.......

The problem is that I have no intention for signing up for My Choice, nor have I ever signed up for it in the past.

If they try to charge me for any My Choice services they will be speaking to the State Attorney General's office.

Bad PR for services that used to be free but now are packaged into an "exciting" new service.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
you must call the 800 number, hit 0 until you reach a real person .
they will be able to assist you as poorly as any other customer .

upschuck

I have My Choice and it is a good little service. Some services are for free, some you have to pay. If UPS added that to your shipping account, then it would be the free part of it. It you get packages from UPS, you will soon find that you like the service.

Nothing to worry about.

worldwide

I received an e-mail stating that UPS "upgraded" my account. In the body of the e-mail it says:

We've added new features to your UPS account which make it easier to view and manage your home deliveries. As a new UPS My Choice member, you already have access to these features.......

The problem is that I have no intention for signing up for My Choice, nor have I ever signed up for it in the past.

If they try to charge me for any My Choice services they will be speaking to the State Attorney General's office.

Bad PR for services that used to be free but now are packaged into an "exciting" new service.

You should learn about the service before making assumptions.

UPS My Choice - Home Delivery on Your Schedule

The only "pay for" services are if you decide to pay for them - the services that people use the most are free, such as:

Delivery Alerts - Get proactive notifications via text, phone or e-mail the day before a delivery.
Delivery Planner -Manage and track all your home deliveries with a convenient, online calendar.
Approximate Delivery Time - When possible, UPS will provide an estimated delivery time frame. This time is not guaranteed and may vary based on driver's workload, weather and traffic.
Sign for Packages Online - Give authorization online for UPS to deliver packages without a signature for drop-off when you're not going to be home to sign in person.
Delivery Instructions - Leave instructions for driver on where to leave shipment, give access code to garage, etc.

mixyo

Dispatcher
I like MyChoice. I have all my deliveries held for pickup at the customer center and then just stop in after my shift (preload).

Insincerity

I'm Insincere

You appear to be a knucklehead.

Packmule

Obviously, you have no idea what My Choice is, or you wouldn't be quite so negative. I got it simply because I have all my stuff w/c at the building where I work. Nice to get an email notice that something came in--and that it did or didn't get sent to smartpost.
I will admit, it would be nice if it was a little easier to get set up on it. And do I really need to invent such a brain twisting password? Otherwise, it's pretty cool.

gingerkat

Choice worked really good for me when I was getting a lot of stuff, but in the end I cancelled it because I didn't need it any longer. Now when I have something expensive or if I want to be here for it, I just ask my guy to text me his ETA on the neighborhood. If I miss him, I'll go find him if he can't leave it.

I would take a few deep breaths before calling.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I just got an email saying my Mychoice was auto renewed for another year. I just had the free thing that texted me all tracking info and status.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
I was told that My Choice biggest advantage to UPS was reduction in driver miles. I don't know anyone that pays for My Choice; I have the free version and I like the advance notice but I laugh at the time window. We'll get it there by end of day if it is residential.

40andOut

You should learn about the service before making assumptions.

UPS My Choice - Home Delivery on Your Schedule

The only "pay for" services are if you decide to pay for them - the services that people use the most are free, such as:

Delivery Alerts - Get proactive notifications via text, phone or e-mail the day before a delivery.
Delivery Planner -Manage and track all your home deliveries with a convenient, online calendar.
Approximate Delivery Time - When possible, UPS will provide an estimated delivery time frame. This time is not guaranteed and may vary based on driver's workload, weather and traffic.
Sign for Packages Online - Give authorization online for UPS to deliver packages without a signature for drop-off when you're not going to be home to sign in person.
Delivery Instructions - Leave instructions for driver on where to leave shipment, give access code to garage, etc.

You should stop making assumptions regarding my familiarity with My Choice. I am quite familiar with the service.
I noticed you conveniently left out these "advantages" to the "free" My Choice membership:

• Reroute Packages $5

• Reschedule Packages $5
These services were free to the consignee (me) before My Choice.
I have no need of any of the other services.
I do concede that some might find My Choice useful, but shouldn't it be my choice to sign up for My Choice?
Personally I think My Choice is primarily a way to generate a new revenue stream (from the consignee) for service that should be included.

Anyway UPS should not be signing people up for this service offering when they have already declined it.

So anyone from Corporate on this board? If so, is it UPS policy to sign up customers for this service without their prior approval? Also if I request a reroute will UPS now try to charge me?

Last edited by a moderator:

40andOut

You appear to be a knucklehead.

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Knucklehead.JPG
Knucklehead.JPG

upschuck

You should stop making assumptions regarding my familiarity with My Choice. I am quite familiar with the service.
I noticed you conveniently left out these "advantages" to the "free" My Choice membership:

• Reroute Packages $5

• Reschedule Packages $5
These services were free to the consignee (me) before My Choice.
I have no need of any of the other services.
I do concede that some might find My Choice useful, but shouldn't it be my choice to sign up for My Choice?
Personally I think My Choice is primarily a way to generate a new revenue stream (from the consignee) for service that should be included.

Anyway UPS should not be signing people up for this service offering when they have already declined it.

So anyone from Corporate on this board? If so, is it UPS policy to sign up customers for this service without their prior approval? Also if I request a reroute will UPS now try to charge me?

While I agree with you that it should not be automatically added to your shipping account, those services you mentioned do cost UPS money.

Changing an address would get charged to the shipper if you didn't pay for them. Why should the shipper get charged if you decide you want if to go elsewhere? Before my choice, if you called our beloved 800 number, they would charge you $6, so you are actually getting a discount. There are several people involved in each address correction/change.

Rescheduling a delivery.....Three attempts should be enough......Have you seen how much sorters, preloaders, drivers make? Those charges make up your wages, and are not mandatory. How long should we be attempting to deliver a single pkg?

The only reason for getting the premium version of my choice is if you live far away from center, with a UPS Store nearby, then you could have all pkgs sent there if you miss them for free. You would save the $40 in gas if you miss several a month.