My First accident!!

trickpony1

If you see someone in your mirrors not slowing down, then what? Gun it through an uncontrolled intersection and kill someone?

Of course not. Every package car has a lever that, when pulled, instantly deploys a protective force field around said package car. Had the PC driver been checking his mirrors he would have known to pull that lever.

I can't believe you get a ticket when it sounds like she crossed out of her lane when turning and hit your truck. But go to that intersection and take pictures of the roads and no signs, and then take all that to court. As far as the warning letter goes, UPS always blames the driver no matter what. And your sup is a maroon for telling you to keep going. If you had, instant termination when the lady called in.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well long long story and will try to make it short!

Running a split rt in an area I have not been before. Come to an intersection, no stop sign slow down look left right left. Proceed through intersection, check my mirrors and see a bumper fly across the road!!!! *** I know i didnt run over that. Pull over get out and a car pulled over to the side of the rd front of car smashed up bad. Run over see if she is alright, she was. Walked backto pkge car called cops then called sup. Tell him i think i've been in an accident, tell him didnt hear, see, nor feel anything but i am the only thing that she could have hit. Not a mark on pkge car NOT A MARK! Few min later center manager calls me asked what happened I told him, he then asked me if i asked the lady what had happened, I said no, Asked him to hold on while I put the phone in my pocket (with him listening). Asked the lady what happened she looked at me and said I hit you in the rear. Pulled phone out asked center manager if he heard conversation he said yes.

Cop pulls up asks us what happened I told him.....no stop sign slowed down intersection clear proceeded and then you have to ask her because i dont know. She then told the officer I hit him in the rear.......

She gets 3 tickets for no insurance, no regristration, and expired tags.
I get a ticket for failure to yield!!!!! Holy rusted metal batman, With my supe there I look at the officer and tell him there is no stop sign and she hit me in the rear and I am getting a ticket for failure to yield, his response was "take it up with the judge". I asked him if that was it and he said yes I put my hand out to shake his and he stared at me for 2-5 seconds and finally shook my hand.

Heres the kicker HE ALLOWED THE LADY TO DRIVE OFF!!!!!!Yea no insurance,registration,and expried tags and she drives off. You think i was pissed.

Ups declared it as hit in rear, and I got a warning letter. Been with the company for 7 yrs and never have written one. What and how do i write a grievance on this. I have been missing our stewards, and am on vacation this week and am getting ready to go to Disney in fl. Dont want to have to think about this but only have 7 more days to file. Any ideas!!!!!
Filing won't remove the warning letter, but it will put them on notice that you don't agree with their discipline.

Did you check your mirrors prior to slowing down at the intersection?
Yes, and they were still there.

If you see someone in your mirrors not slowing down, then what? Gun it through an uncontrolled intersection and kill someone?
LOL, good one, BM.

there will always be drama around accidents -- in this one the center framed what should have probably been an intersection (tier 3) to a hit in rear (tier 2) saving thousands in monopoly money....

Where I am from all warning letters are under protest at inception - their validity are challenged when and if further disciplinary action is enacted -

Find out your contract - Grieve it if needed - have your own facts - statements - re-enactment- diagrams etc-- You were there - they were not

The truth is when the drama wears off people come to their senses -
Ha Ha Ha:happy-very:

You looked left twice and didn't see her?
You didn't feel anything when her car got totalled?
I think you are leaving something out.
I'm being tieguy here:)

It sounds like she was driving too fast and she has been taking the same route for years but this time there was a truck right in front of her.
LOL, nice tie disguise.

It would be cool it your backup camera had video replay
Or a camera that recorded all angles of the pkg car, as well as a camera pointed right at the driver.

Make sure to wear your pants and not shorts! :wink2:
Very true.

I dont own a pair of ups pants.:sick:those things are way to uncomfortable.
UPS makes skirts, ya know.:wink2:

Heck, I'd even wear a suit and tie!
A brown one.

Hey is your on rode sup Terry?
Thomas?

Re-Raise

"The objective of accident investigation is to determine any errors in judgement or driving made by our drivers, and to point them out for the purpose of making them better drivers and thus avoiding future similar accidents. Legal liability should never influence those who classify accidents. Thus legal liability or fault is never considered in judging whether an accident is avoidable or unavoidable."

This is the answer to my appeal 16 years ago when a truck backed into my legally parked package car. The driver that hit my truck was given a ticket.

They said I shouldn't have parked where someone could hit my vehicle. I asked my center manager to show me how to do this, After waiting for her to try to find a uniform and thinking about the prospect of being stuck with her all day I just said forget it.

Bottom line it is always our fault and it drives an unnecessary wedge between management and hourly employees. I swear if a piece of the space shuttle fell on your package car you shouldn't have parked under the Space Shuttle!