My first day!!!

hiatt21

Well, yesterday at 5pm was when I started. I worked until 8:30pm. I am not sure how well I did. I was loading and scanning the packages. Reading the label took a llittle to feel comfortable. Let me tell you my lower back is aching. Now that is a workout! I loaded a trailer and a wall in the next one and was about to die. LOL not really. Going back at it tonight. Not to sure how to log into the computer thing though. Any words of wisdom and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
hiatt21

hiatt21

My second day. Will I guess I was too slow yesterday so today they cut me at 7 today. I had to light trailers and helped a few others. I just don't see how these guys read and scan the packages so fast. I mean when I was helping, I was going just as fast as the guy I was working with. Plus how can anyone afford to just work therewhen you only get 3-4 hours a night and it takes 5-10 years to be a driver. Yesterday I loaded 187 packages an hour thought I couldnt go any faster. Today I hear people to triple that. Any advice what did you average per hpur your first day?

old levi's

blank space
Plus how can anyone afford to just work therewhen you only get 3-4 hours a night and it takes 5-10 years to be a driver.

They probably have a full time job during the day. I worked from 330 am to 7pm with about a 1.5 hour break in the morning for years. It will make you old quickly, but once you have sacrificed your life on the altar of marriage ..........................

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
My second day. Will I guess I was too slow yesterday so today they cut me at 7 today. I had to light trailers and helped a few others. I just don't see how these guys read and scan the packages so fast. I mean when I was helping, I was going just as fast as the guy I was working with. Plus how can anyone afford to just work therewhen you only get 3-4 hours a night and it takes 5-10 years to be a driver. Yesterday I loaded 187 packages an hour thought I couldnt go any faster. Today I hear people to triple that. Any advice what did you average per hpur your first day?

You shouldn't sweat it that much dude. Gotta crawl before you can walk. Speed will come with time, try and focus on Quality instead of Quantity

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

i know a guy can hit triples, but he gets alot of misloads. That number doesn't mean anything, load at a good speed and pay attention to every label is the key.......

DS

Fenderbender
You have to know that someday you are going to die. Until you know that and embrace that, you are useless.
All things must pass,but most of us are not as connected to God as you are,to us we are happy just slugging packages
OK I`m gonna die....so what?

dillweed

hiatt21, like they say, don't worry too much yet about speed because it will come. Also, don't worry about them sending you home earlier, it only means they had plenty of people there and you are low seniority.

People will tell you they can load unbelievable numbers of pkgs per hour and lots of it is BS. Big egos at UPS and everyone wants to be the big guy. Smile, nod and say "wow!".

The best you can do when new is to show up on time every day with a good attitude, ready and willing to do whatever they tell you as best you can. Little by little it will get easier and you'll pick up speed. Best of luck and take good care of your body. Drink plenty of water and bend with your knees, not your back. dw

hiatt21

It was my 3rd day. Wasn't as sore and felt pretty good. The only thing was I got let go at 7pm. I only worked maybe 2hrs. What is the deal I thought I was guaranteed 3 1/2 hours. He said they were about to finish up?? Do they always finish so early?

Overpaid Union Thug

Yes you are guaranteed 3.5. Just ask for it. Whatever happens just keep trying. I've seen people totally suck at loading or unloading but they tried so instead of being let go (which has to be done within your first 30 days or NEVER) they were moved to easier areas such as smalls, air belt, etc.. As far as the scanning goes....don't try and be a badass. Read the labels and make sure you scan each package. Man I feel for you guys in the hubs. In the small centers, such as mine, our loaders don't have to scan. They just load.

"'You have to know that someday you are going to die. Until you know that and embrace that, you are useless"

What happens in fight club, stays in fight club!