My First Two Weeks @ UPS so far!

nbd650

Hi guys,

Wow, I don't even know where to start describing my experience at UPS for the first two weeks. I started about last Monday and was assigned to the unload position as an unloader. The first couple of days they were making me walk around the "Unload Two" and help take irregular boxes and place them on the irreg slides and so forth, not too much work the first week. At the end of the night thursday, my full-time supervisor approached me and told me that I didn't need to report to work the following Friday because "we are expecting an extremely low volume", but I remember signing a contract with HR stating that I would agree to be employed with UPS for a minimum of one year, but with a guaranteed 4 1/2 hours per day, five days a week. I'm thinking to myself, Sweet! I already get a day off, but no, I was way wrong.

I came into the center Monday morning and did my stretches and warmed-up, and that's when the shop steward approched me and introduced himself, and he asked me why I didn't show up to work and explained to him why, and so he said that management cannot send you home ever, so the Union Rep went straight to the office and started a war between my part-time supervisor, and full-time supervisor over 4 hours or $40 after taxes. Since then, my relationship with my part-time supervisior is pretty ****ty, I just show up, knock out my four hours and bounce the hell out of there. Ever since my Union Rep went fighting for my FOUR hours, it's been complete hell, I get looked at differently and treated differently. My part-time supervisor has been giving me really ****ty trailers (2 IRREG PIG trucks) it's just been dead awful, but whatever.

Management called me in last night and said that I'm doing well and to keep up the good work. I'm afraid that it's terribly difficult to pass my probation based on the incidents that happened. During my meeting with management yesterday, I left my snack bag hanging on the coat rack, and then when I got in my car, my watch was GONE, were talking a $1500+ watch, GONE. I'm not going to blame anyone, but ****, people do steal stuff all the TIME. I was shocked that someone would do this.

I guess since im on my probationary period for seventy working days, they can treat me like aboslute ****! Do we have to unload Shortys in 45 minutes and Pigs in 1:10? Is that true?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
NBD

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, where to begin...

First of all, what the hell are you doing bringing a $1,500 watch to work?! Second, why would anyone spend $1,500 on a watch?

You admitted your carelessness. The watch is gone and you basically have no recourse.

Now, as far as that Friday---if your supervisor told you in advance that you would not be working that day due to volume then you are not working. It's that simple. Getting the steward involved and starting the pissing match over $40 before taxes when you are just starting out is not the best first impression to make and you now have a big bullseye on your back.

I have no idea what Shortys and Pigs are so I can't help you there.

I suggest that you simply do your work for the remainder of your probationary period. You will soon lose that target. Good luck.

(A $1,500 watch? Seriously? My first car didn't cost that much.)

chopstic

I think it would be a good recommendation not to stir the pot for your first 3 months as it is a probationary period. Meaning UPS or yourself can sever employment at any point if one feels it just isn't working out. I don't know what you mean by "shortys and pigs", but I can tell you this is how its going to be for you at UPS from now on, especially if you have low seniority. They might have given you a light work load for the first week or two for training purposes, but now you'll be expected to work as hard as everyone else... actually.... work HARDER than everyone else because with low seniority you're going to get a lot of the work people with higher seniority don't want.

SWORDFISH

Oh, where to begin...

First of all, what the hell are you doing bringing a $1,500 watch to work?! Second, why would anyone spend $1,500 on a watch?

You admitted your carelessness. The watch is gone and you basically have no recourse.

Now, as far as that Friday---if your supervisor told you in advance that you would not be working that day due to volume then you are not working. It's that simple. Getting the steward involved and starting the pissing match over $40 before taxes when you are just starting out is not the best first impression to make and you now have a big bullseye on your back.

I have no idea what Shortys and Pigs are so I can't help you there.

I suggest that you simply do your work for the remainder of your probationary period. You will soon lose that target. Good luck.

(A $1,500 watch? Seriously? My first car didn't cost that much.)

Dave how did your son get a job at UPS?

22.34life

he didnt say he wanted the union rep to get involved,sounds like he took it upon himself to do so.You need to know that ups is a very hostile work enviroment you gotta speak up and speak loud or you will get run over and that goes for the union and managment.Dont let a union rep with a grudge use you as his pawn in his ongoing chess game with the manager,all he should have done was tell you what your rights are and thats it ,its up to you if you want him to take action or not.Now as far as the whole watch thing goes dont ever leave anything that belongs to you out of your sight ,if you do, it will get stollen by some of our fine coworkers.

You can't be too hard on the guy, any new employee is going to answer questions from their Union Steward... You don't really learn you have battles to fight 'til your later years (or days)...

ups1990

I would notify Loss prevention of your theft right away. As long as you are doing your best during while on probation and continue to stay quiet, I see no reason why UPS wouldn't keep you.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
SHORTY-or pup-28 foot trl.
PIG-either 45, 48, or 53 Long Box.
45 minutes for a shorty? Man you are slack. Our unload turns a 100% shorty in 30-35 minutes. Anything under 50%, and I don't bother to unhitch the tractor.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
NBD, I would do what UPS1990 suggested and talk to Loss Prevention. If you are in the Menlo Park building they should have cameras throughout. I don't know if they would have them pointed in the direction of where the watch was stolen but there might be that slim chance. As far as the P/T supervisor being hard on you my suggestion would be to talk to him and let him know that it wasn't your idea about the hours. This will let him know that you aren't trying to stir the pot and get that target off your back even sooner.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is this 1 year contract you have to sign. Is this new?

Better yet what is the penalty for not fulfilling the 1 year commitment?
Was there a signing bonus that is forfeited?
That's the most interesting part of the post for me.
The rest of it can be summed up as a day in the life of working at UPS.
Get used to it kid.
I think he's actually ahead of the game.
You can stand up for yourself sooner or later.
You'll get run through like the screen door until you do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
NBD, I would do what UPS1990 suggested and talk to Loss Prevention. If you are in the Menlo Park building they should have cameras throughout. I don't know if they would have them pointed in the direction of where the watch was stolen but there might be that slim chance. As far as the P/T supervisor being hard on you my suggestion would be to talk to him and let him know that it wasn't your idea about the hours. This will let him know that you aren't trying to stir the pot and get that target off your back even sooner.

DISAGREE! This is a sign of weakness. I know everyone has their own theories and tactics but IMO this is not a good one, to undermine the union steward who enforced the contract.

Yes, it is true the employee did not ask for representation. HOwever, I am sure that there are 100 other cases where the employees DID ask for representation when UPS forced part-time employees to go home either before their start time or during the shift. Initially you would think "nosey, bully steward" by what was presented here, but I think it's more of a case of the steward going through the motions that has been established the past few years.

Let it go because an apology or "it wasnt my idea" won't turn back time. Management never lets go.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
DISAGREE! This is a sign of weakness. I know everyone has their own theories and tactics but IMO this is not a good one, to undermine the union steward who enforced the contract.

Yes, it is true the employee did not ask for representation. HOwever, I am sure that there are 100 other cases where the employees DID ask for representation when UPS forced part-time employees to go home either before their start time or during the shift. Initially you would think "nosey, bully steward" by what was presented here, but I think it's more of a case of the steward going through the motions that has been established the past few years.

Let it go because an apology or "it wasnt my idea" won't turn back time. Management never lets go.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I agree. I do know the Majority of the mamagment people in the Menlo Park building and if pulled a side and where told his side of it then it would be done and over with. As for the Loss Prevention part I would make sure to bring that one up because as anyone can say we don't like our partners to be stealing our stuff...Just my opinion.

SWORDFISH

Better yet what is the penalty for not fulfilling the 1 year commitment?
Was there a signing bonus that is forfeited?
That's the most interesting part of the post for me.
The rest of it can be summed up as a day in the life of working at UPS.
Get used to it kid.
I think he's actually ahead of the game.
You can stand up for yourself sooner or later.
You'll get run through like the screen door until you do.

I agree w/ this right here. I dont believe in staying off the radar. Dont get me wrong I dont try getting on it but Im not someones bit** either.