My First Two Weeks @ UPS so far!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It happens daily where I work. Most of the drivers come in, do their jobs, and go home. We do have a few that are constantly on the radar for being overallowed.

Same here. The same 10 people are constantly in the office for the same reasons. Forgot to unload air. Missing scans. Not taking out clerk packages. Mis-deliveries. Late air. +/- 15 on pickups. All the simple things you can do to make your life easier at UPS.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It happens daily where I work. Most of the drivers come in, do their jobs, and go home. We do have a few that are constantly on the radar for being overallowed.

Same here. The same 10 people are constantly in the office for the same reasons. Forgot to unload air. Missing scans. Not taking out clerk packages. Mis-deliveries. Late air. +/- 15 on pickups. All the simple things you can do to make your life easier at UPS.

Agreed, same here, but that's not what the OP, Swordfish, or myself was refering to.
We were talking about holding the company accountable for a daily guarantee.
Point being, if that puts me on the "radar", then so be it.
All I want, all that any of us should want, hourly or salary, is to receive every penny, right, and privilidge afforded us by the Contract.

SWORDFISH

Agreed, same here, but that's not what the OP, Swordfish, or myself was refering to.
We were talking about holding the company accountable for a daily guarantee.
Point being, if that puts me on the "radar", then so be it.
All I want, all that any of us should want, hourly or salary, is to receive every penny, right, and privilidge afforded us by the Contract.

Hit the nail on the head Bubblehead. UPSTATE, your definetly lucky if your work environment is that of which you describe.

UPSGUY72

Hi guys,

Wow, I don't even know where to start describing my experience at UPS for the first two weeks. I started about last Monday and was assigned to the unload position as an unloader. The first couple of days they were making me walk around the "Unload Two" and help take irregular boxes and place them on the irreg slides and so forth, not too much work the first week. At the end of the night thursday, my full-time supervisor approached me and told me that I didn't need to report to work the following Friday because "we are expecting an extremely low volume", but I remember signing a contract with HR stating that I would agree to be employed with UPS for a minimum of one year, but with a guaranteed 4 1/2 hours per day, five days a week. I'm thinking to myself, Sweet! I already get a day off, but no, I was way wrong.

I came into the center Monday morning and did my stretches and warmed-up, and that's when the shop steward approched me and introduced himself, and he asked me why I didn't show up to work and explained to him why, and so he said that management cannot send you home ever, so the Union Rep went straight to the office and started a war between my part-time supervisor, and full-time supervisor over 4 hours or $40 after taxes. Since then, my relationship with my part-time supervisior is pretty ****ty, I just show up, knock out my four hours and bounce the hell out of there. Ever since my Union Rep went fighting for my FOUR hours, it's been complete hell, I get looked at differently and treated differently. My part-time supervisor has been giving me really ****ty trailers (2 IRREG PIG trucks) it's just been dead awful, but whatever.

Management called me in last night and said that I'm doing well and to keep up the good work. I'm afraid that it's terribly difficult to pass my probation based on the incidents that happened. During my meeting with management yesterday, I left my snack bag hanging on the coat rack, and then when I got in my car, my watch was GONE, were talking a $1500+ watch, GONE. I'm not going to blame anyone, but ****, people do steal stuff all the TIME. I was shocked that someone would do this.

I guess since im on my probationary period for seventy working days, they can treat me like aboslute ****! Do we have to unload Shortys in 45 minutes and Pigs in 1:10? Is that true?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
NBD

You are low man on the pole you only have to remember a couple of things and you will get by you probationary period.

1. Show up to work everyday on time unless told otherwise. UPS doesn't care about your problems they just want you to show up.

2. Do what your are told and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

3. Keep your mouth shut if a SUP says do something do it unless it's unsafe.

4. If they don't have enough work they are going to tell you to not come in. That is just they way it is you are on the bottom of the pole it happens all the time. As far as sending your home early they should ask you if your want to leave if you say yes your not guarenteed 4 1/2 because you left on your own.

Next time keep your watch on your wrist or leave it in your car along with anything else you do want damaged or lost.

L

Loufan

Everyone has ****ty sups. My first sup was the biggest idiot ever, he yelled and cussed and had no idea what he was doing. They usually switch up part time sups every 6 months (at least for me they do) so just stick with it and hopefully the idiot will be gone soon. That's my advice, I don't know how other building work but i'm just going off of how mine runs.