My friend Brutus

DOK

I have been known to bend a few rules from time to time.

"No, I wasnt handing out biscuits. I was handing out canine nutritional supplements. You said it was biscuits that werent allowed, I thought you meant the kind that people eat with gravy."

I have mixed feelings on giving out treats after I had a customer ask me "you didn't just give my dog a treat did you? He's on a strict diet and gets violently ill if he eats anything outside his diet." Oooopps

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As a dog owner, I enjoy taking care of my 4 legged friends on my route. When you love your own dog, you appreciate the personalities of each dog you meet.
When I go on vacation, I make sure my biscuit box is full for my cover driver. It's the drivers who take the biscuits home with them daily that put a cover driver in harms way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have mixed feelings on giving out treats after I had a customer ask me "you didn't just give my dog a treat did you? He's on a strict diet and gets violently ill if he eats anything outside his diet." Oooopps

I generally ask the customer for permission before giving a biscuit to a dog. In Brutus's case, however, his owner was not home and I was 50 yards from the truck when Brutus came running up to me. I did not want my arm or leg to be the "treat" that made him violently ill, so I took a chance and gave him the biscuit instead. He never got sick, but he did become my friend and its always good to have friends like Brutus.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
"Perhaps you should keep your dog in a place where strangers can't feed him strange food."

Indecisi0n

"Perhaps you should keep your dog in a place where strangers can't feed him strange food."
Perhaps you should stay the :censored2: off my property.

That's what I would say. It's not smart to give customers an attitude when you are on their property. Best think to do is apologize and let it go.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I generally ask the customer for permission before giving a biscuit to a dog. In Brutus's case, however, his owner was not home and I was 50 yards from the truck when Brutus came running up to me. I did not want my arm or leg to be the "treat" that made him violently ill, so I took a chance and gave him the biscuit instead. He never got sick, but he did become my friend and its always good to have friends like Brutus.

Agreed. Back in my slaving days, on my country route, I made sure to ask the owners, if they were home, before I gave treats to the hounds. Now, if they weren't home, the hounds gave me permission. Some people are touchy about giving their hounds treats. I had an old man who ran a flower nursery, along with a herd of cattle get downright pissed off with me for giving his blue heelers treats. "Aw, you ruined those GD'd dogs!" But they weren't ruined. They still ran like machines around those cows, and nipped at the cows back legs. I think he just didn't like those hounds befriending me. Point is, I stopped giving them treats, because they were his dogs and it was his property.

Perhaps you should stay the :censored2: off my property.

That's what I would say. It's not smart to give customers an attitude when you are on their property. Best think to do is apologize and let it go.
when they order something through ups they are inviting you onto there property. Failing to control their dog is the problem.

soberups

People can get really touchy about you giving treats to attack dogs.
They can also get really touchy about you fracturing their attack dog's skull with a 5-cell Mag Light. Biscuits are certainly the much more "low impact" method of self defense against canines, and always my preferred outcome.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
They can also get really touchy about you fracturing their attack dog's skull with a 5-cell Mag Light. Biscuits are certainly the much more "low impact" method of self defense against canines, and always my preferred outcome.
I always view the dog is going his job same as i'm doing mine.dog Treats seem to make the jobs easier for BOTH of us

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I generally ask first. But the treats I carry are not from China. They are the treats I give my own dog, usually home made, if not then 4 Health. If I am low, I will give a store bought peanut butter bone, but that doesnt happen alot. If it is to save my butt, I dont need permission.

I generally ask first. But the treats I carry are not from China. They are the treats I give my own dog, usually home made, if not then 4 Health. If I am low, I will give a store bought peanut butter bone, but that doesnt happen alot. If it is to save my butt, I dont need permission.
My wife's a vegetarian who inspects everything that gets into the house. She rules the house like this with an iron fist. This includes what our animals eat which is the same as the ones on my route.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My wife's a vegetarian who inspects everything that gets into the house. She rules the house like this with an iron fist. This includes what our animals eat which is the same as the ones on my route.
Not a vegetarian, but I am more careful about what my dog eats, than what we eat. She gets absolutely nothing with bha, bht. We had italian chicken tonight, so did she, with peas and spinach. I only feed "dog" food to her when absolutely impossible to feed her otherwise.
Some days she wont eat at all. If its crappy out and she gets no exercise, she wont eat. If she is eating and a squirrel runs by, its over, distracted. Yesterday she was ravenous at night, but did not eat a thing all day the day before. I gave her an 8 ounce NY strip, she didnt want it. Anyone else have a 100 pd dog, that would turn the nose up to a steak? I got one. Tonight she just ate her peas and a small amount of chicken. Now shes lounging.

Attachments

• CAM02914.jpg
    CAM02914.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 132

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I give mine food out of a bag he seems happy enough
go figure
Yeah, my other ones used to be that way. This is a different animal. Never had one like it. A 7 pd bag of food lasts her a month. She just doesnt care about eating, its a struggle to keep her from being skin and bones.

soberups

Yeah, my other ones used to be that way. This is a different animal. Never had one like it. A 7 pd bag of food lasts her a month. She just doesnt care about eating, its a struggle to keep her from being skin and bones.
We feed our Beagle a cup of prescription food twice a day, with a full can of green beans dumped on top of it. Our vet recommended the green beans because they help fill her up without making her overweight. If you left her alone in a room with a full bag of dog food she would probably eat until she exploded, she is so food-driven.