My Mortal Remains

What Will Become Of Your Mortal Remains?

• Total voters

bbsam

Staff member
First things first. Any still usable parts on me, have at it. Organ and tissue donors out there? Beyond that, I don't much care. Whatever comforts my loved ones most and I trust my wife completely with that.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Check out this site or many others and start something. If left to others, they may screw up your grad. date or something else. Remember, if you want it done right......do it yourself. All that will be left to complete is the date of your death and what you died from.

How to Write an Obituary - How to Write

bbsam

Staff member
If I wrote my own obituary, I would struggle mightily to appear humble and everyone would see right through it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well Thanks Ovah for such an uplifting and inspiring thread.
Secondly yes it is important. Seriously I dont want anything written, or posted. And I sure as hell dont want people looking at me when I am dead. I have a hard enough time making myself look acceptable.
If there is anything left of me once they take my good parts, coz they are all good ya know. Just like finding good parts from a 58 Chevy, I want a notice, party at xxxx to celebrate the life of xxx if you knew her come on over, byob. Party starts at 6, ends whenever.
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die CD Version Joe Diffie - YouTube

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

moreluck has a good point. When my father (not my Dad) passed away, my brother and I were tasked with writing his obituary. We relied heavily on our grandmother for details.

Thankfully there was no probate as his assets had been protected and subsequently divided shortly after he entered the nursing home as we all knew he would never leave. Cremation and a simple ceremony. We then gathered for a traditional New England chicken and shells (pasta) dinner.

This is kind of a segway but it is something that I feel good for having done. Last week I was approaching one of the more busy intersections on my route and noticed a funeral procession approaching from the opposite direction. The procession had two limos and about 10-15 cars in it. They were turning left at the intersection and I knew that the entire procession would not make it through the green light so I put my 4-ways on and centered my vehicle in the two travel lanes to ensure the procession could proceed unimpeded. The funeral home is on my route (the owner's son and mine were high school classmates) and he told me later that he really appreciated what I had done.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes cremation for me also. The land is for the living, IMO.
They also charge for obits.
Put mine in the classifieds.
'if you knew her, nuff said. shes dead"
Coz seriously, what difference does it make at that point?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes cremation for me also. The land is for the living, IMO.
They also charge for obits.
Put mine in the classifieds.
'if you knew her, nuff said. shes dead"
Coz seriously, what difference does it make at that point?

There is something to be said for a well written obituary, a narrative of a person's life. I enjoy reading the obituaries of our more prominent citizens.

I admit to reading the obits each morning. No, I don't have a morbid curiousity--I have twice had the unfortunate experience of having a package for a person who passed away the same day.

bbsam

Staff member
The most memorable obits for me are the most heart wrenching. Children or infants. Can't stand the thought of a small casket.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
When I die I hope whoever is making the arrangements for my remains does what Wanda said here about organ donation and the burning the rest up. Not the Halle Berry part.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The obits. that give me a chuckle are the ones Alan King always talked about. There's one that reads "Fred Williams passed away at 103 yrs. of age".... and no matter how old the "he" is, it'll say "survived by his wife of 70 years."

And it's true....all these old guys and they are survived by the wives.

If it's a wife's obit, it'll say "she was pre-deceased by her husband of 60 years, Cosmo."

Lots of humor in the obits.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have been leaning towards having my remains cremated. The ashes should be scattered in places I have loved to visit, like a local State Park and maybe some places I have hiked on the Appalachian Trail.

I'm not a fan of the funeral business, it seems like such a rip-off industry that takes advantage of people. We spent $15,000 to bury my Mother a little over a year ago, and she already had the plot paid off. So around here, expect a total of about $20,000 for the funeral home services, casket, church fees, cemetery plot, vault, digging the grave, and the monument. Digging a hole in my back yard to throw my carcass in sounds just as good to me, maybe somebody I know would at least occasionally look at my grave. By the way, I have two grave sites for sell in Crestlawn Memorial Gardens on the West side of Atlanta if anybody is interested. They list new for $2700 apiece, I will give a very big discount on them.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats just why. Why pay so much you are gone. Yes obits can be informative, and heart wrenching, BUT I have been through several funerals, and all that comes to me is
it doesnt matter how much money you had, how nice your house was, or what you did for a living. People will remember you because of how you made them feel.
My hope is to have made people feel good. Happy, and alive. if I did that for anyone I need nothing when Im gone. Spread my ashes anywhere. Its symbolic, you are not there. Its just more trauma for those left behind. JMHO. some people I guess need that closure. Hoping my people wont. And yes I have told them and they laugh. Guess I got to write it down and make it legal.

rod

Retired 22 years
Cremation for me. I've already instructed the wife (and other family members) to bury part of my ashes in the family plot where my Mother, Dad, Son and Brother are and the rest is to be burried in the local Veterans Cemetery. I want this because I take care of a small cemetery now and have witnessed way too often how gravesites at public cemeterys become neglected after the next generation passes on. Don't count on your Grandkids to look after the family plot. Most small town cemeterys are underfunded so the upkeep on gravesites is up to the individual familys----most of whom visit the cemetery maybe once a year if even that. At a Veterans Cemetery things are always kept in tip top shape.