My Mortal Remains

What Will Become Of Your Mortal Remains?

• Total voters
P

pickup

Did an atheist tell you all this stuff? I seriously doubt it but even if that was the case he/she would just be speaking for themselves, not for atheists in general. I'm guessing that all of the above is just your opinion of what atheists should think.

As Hoaxster stated, I judge a person by his actions, not his words. Many atheists get rather religious and pensive during funerals. I even seen many Baptists for all of their stated beliefs, act ,by all intents and purposes, like Catholics at a funeral.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As Hoaxster stated, I judge a person by his actions, not his words. Many atheists get rather religious and pensive during funerals. I even seen many Baptists for all of their stated beliefs, act ,by all intents and purposes, like Catholics at a funeral.
You Haven't seen anything 'til you see Italian Catholics............fight and yell right in front of the casket over who's gonna get what. It's pathetic and it happened at all the ones I've been to......which is why I choose cremation.

DS

Fenderbender
Atheist is just another name for anyone who thinks the bible is BS
They may have another reason to care what happens to their corpse.
pickup's point is interesting,but rules out personal preference,considering we are all individuals with our own ideas.
Why is it Americans like to put a big label on everything?
Individuality is a positive human trait.
Religion to me is the ability to see the truth.
It's really hard sometimes to face it,but it's always there.
It calms me,like a wise man gathering his thoughts.
Quote:

“Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”

Lau Tzu

P

pickup

pickup's point is interesting,but rules out personal preference,considering we are all individuals with our own ideas.
Quote:

“Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”

Lau Tzu

The only thing I take exception to is the first sentence. Technically, the sentence is correct but I would just like to add that some religious people , or another term perhaps, spiritual people believe that the bible is crap. I've read the bible. Hard to take it literally and if you do,you're really opening up a can of worms.

But anyhoo, I didn't put a label on anything. You're just mad cos there ain't no Canadian teams left in the playoffs.

Anyway, here is a quote that resonates with me:

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have been there.

Soberups

P

pickup

You Haven't seen anything 'til you see Italian Catholics............fight and yell right in front of the casket over who's gonna get what. It's pathetic and it happened at all the ones I've been to......which is why I choose cremation.

Oh, I've seen quite a bit of that.

over9five

Staff member
If one was truly an atheist, he would care not the least whit what became of his body the moment the chemical reactions stopped in that body. The atheist wouldn't care before and by his own definition, he wouldn't care after his death.

Of course, if he does care before hand, the atheist is harboring some thoughts that go against his atheistic beliefs.

And if he cares afterwards, well he definitely was quite mistaken all along.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
That's all BS. How you leave your remains may have nothing to do with your Atheism. A lot of it has to do with your love for the people you leave behind. For ME, I'd say get rid of my decaying carcass the cheapest way possible.
But what if my wife needs to have a grave to visit after I'm gone? I'm good with that, put me in the ground then if it gives her comfort!

Shhh, don't tell wifey but this is exactly how this will all play out:
If I die first, we get buried.
But if she dies first, cheapest way baby!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by this, has there been some study done on how atheists behave at funerals? I don't equate being sad and missing someone whom you cared about in life with "getting rather religious", if that's what you're talking about.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Quote:

Lau Tzu

Actually it's not. Atheist refers to someone who doesn't believe in a god, that's all. It doesn't tell you anything else about the person or their beliefs. Personally I think the bible has some value as an historical document.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Actually it's not. Atheist refers to someone who doesn't believe in a god, that's all. It doesn't tell you anything else about the person or their beliefs. Personally I think the bible has some value as an historical document.
My uncle, raised as a catholic and went to Immaculate Conception High, is an atheist. He values the bible for the same reason.

moreluck

golden ticket member
".......Why is it Americans like to put a big label on everything?..........."

Because it's all about the Gucci, the Dolce-Gabanna, Louboutin. DKNY, Louis Vuitton, Nike, Hermes,....Labels Baby !!!

P

pickup

Not that there is necessarily any argument here, but if there is one (and who knows maybe I started it?) I am pulling out of it. This territory that we are going into is better covered in "Whose God is better, yours or mine thread"(thanks Hoax).

I apologize not so much for what I said but for the lack of clarity that should have been used to convey my sentiments. I could refine my arguments but that is much too tedious. I was just involved with four funerals within one week's period of time and well I found out, funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the living to act like a bunch of a-holes.

I still haven't processed it all so I will just keep my mouth shut.

over9five

Staff member
Not that there is necessarily any argument here, but if there is one (and who knows maybe I started it?) I am pulling out of it. This territory that we are going into is better covered in "Whose God is better, yours or mine thread"(thanks Hoax).

I apologize not so much for what I said but for the lack of clarity that should have been used to convey my sentiments. I could refine my arguments but that is much too tedious. I was just involved with four funerals within one week's period of time and well I found out, funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the living to act like a bunch of a-holes.

Lol, the last funeral I went to was kinda scary. The zombie church-goers would chime in with stuff at some pre-determined place in the priests speech. In one loud monotone voice, they'd all say "AND ALSO WITH YOU" and other things. The first time it happened, we about jumped out of our seats. Really, we thought they sounded like a bunch of zombies, very cult-ish, very weird.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not that there is necessarily any argument here, but if there is one (and who knows maybe I started it?) I am pulling out of it. This territory that we are going into is better covered in "Whose [-]God[/-] imaginary friend is better, yours or mine thread"(thanks Hoax).

ftfy :wink2:

P

pickup

Lol, the last funeral I went to was kinda scary. The zombie church-goers would chime in with stuff at some pre-determined place in the priests speech. In one loud monotone voice, they'd all say "AND ALSO WITH YOU" and other things. The first time it happened, we about jumped out of our seats. Really, we thought they sounded like a bunch of zombies, very cult-ish, very weird.

Yes, we must have gone to the same funeral. I thought I was the only one there without the script. I tried to ease my discomfit by looking at the very tortured face of the man on the cross on the wall next to me(it was a statue) . That didn't work.

Well, I thought at least I would get a hearty love filled hand shake from the priest on the way out the door. Apparently that type of hand shake is reserved for those that he knows put envelopes in the collection plate.

P

pickup

And I thought I said I was going to keep my mouth shut. Oh well, i didn't name the brand of religion at that church .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ah, yes, the Catholic funeral. Weird. And then we all go out to eat. Chicken and shells.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

It's funny but being raised catholic that's the type of stuff I miss a little bit. I still have an affinity for all the ritualized invocations, the hymns, the stained glass and the imagery.