My Peak Hiring Story - So far - what will happen next

AndrewK

So i was hired as a seasonal driver helper, with intentions of one day becoming a permanent full time driver...even if i have to start off in the warehouse at first idc. For the first week in a half they put me with a FT driver monday to friday 40 hrs a week, after about the first week of me busting my ass and occasionally reminding him about my interest long term with the company, he was happy with my work and must've put in a good word. Couple days later i receieved a message from my sup of a pre-load position permanently. However the night shift doesnt work with my schedule as i have a second job on the weekends only. I told the sup and HR i'd be interested in a twilight position unloading trailers mon-fri for 3-5 hrs during the evening. I was told only the preload position was available atm. Couple days later i received a text from my sup saying would you like to try out twilight later on that day only for tonight, i agreed instantly and went on worked the shift and became even more interested in trying to land the job. The next day he texts me to come in again for twilight, near the end of the shift i told him is this position available permanently as it works around my schedule, he said it is and would try to find out if there is an opening and let me know the next day as he gave me a grey ups t-shirt. third day same thing tells me to come in, i ask him did you find out and he says we're in the process of turning you from a driver helper to a twilight sort/unloader. That same day i went in earlier to talk to HR about the pre-load position as it was the last day for me to give her my final decision. I told her i'd let her know the night of via email, never did as i was just constantly getting messages from the sup to come in for twilight shifts so i said fk it. I noticed that there a bunch of new hires with me everyday during the twilight/warehouse shift and they also told me there confused with there future at ups also. So im not really seeing the bigger picture here as im not getting 100% answers from anyone saying im a perm employee. It also seems like the sup and HR are on two diff pages. I certainly hope im not just being used and abused until mid-jan just to be thrown like a scumbag out the door once peak season is over.

Where im confused is within a 3-4 day span, the sup told me only the preload position is available then said to me that that the twilight position is available too.

If anyone has been through a similar experience, or just knows better then i do by simply being a long term employee for this company, what am i dealing with here and is there anything i should be expecting?

Thanks

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So i was hired as a seasonal driver helper, with intentions of one day becoming a permanent full time driver...even if i have to start off in the warehouse at first idc. For the first week in a half they put me with a FT driver monday to friday 40 hrs a week, after about the first week of me busting my ass and occasionally reminding him about my interest long term with the company, he was happy with my work and must've put in a good word. Couple days later i receieved a message from my sup of a pre-load position permanently. However the night shift doesnt work with my schedule as i have a second job on the weekends only. I told the sup and HR i'd be interested in a twilight position unloading trailers mon-fri for 3-5 hrs during the evening. I was told only the preload position was available atm by HR. Couple days later i received a text from my sup saying would you like to try out twilight later on that day only for tonight, i agreed instantly and went on worked the shift and became even more interested in trying to land the job. The next day he texts me to come in again for twilight, near the end of the shift i told him is this position available permanently as it works around my schedule, he said it is and would try to find out if there is an opening and let me know the next day as he gave me a grey ups t-shirt. third day same thing tells me to come in, i ask him did you find out and he says we're in the process of turning you from a driver helper to a twilight sort/unloader. That same day i went in earlier to talk to HR about the pre-load position as it was the last day for me to give her my final decision. I told her i'd let her know the night of via email. I noticed that there a bunch of new hires with me everyday during the twilight/warehouse shift and they also told me there confused with there future at ups also. So im not really seeing the bigger picture here as im not getting 100% answers from anyone saying im a perm employee. It also seems like the sup and HR are on two diff pages. I certainly hope im not just being used and abused until mid-jan just to be thrown like a scumbag out the door once peak season is over.

If anyone has been through a similar experience, or just knows better then i do by simply being a long term employee for this company, what am i dealing with here and is there anything i should be expecting?

Thanks

A grey t-shirt is just a kiss.

Now, if they had given you a brown hoodie.............

rown_oser

Same As It Ever Was
We usually don't hire from Oct. 15 - Jan. 15th as it's mostly observed as a 'freeze' period for hiring any new bargaining employees. They were simply taking advantage of you. :censored2: happens here all the time as everyday is different but the same by the end; it's unpredictable until the 'game' (think volume of not just packages, but workers, routes, no. of package cars, hours of work dispatched, etc.) have been both seemingly and sensibly figured out, until something unpredictable happens on-route.

AndrewK

We usually don't hire from Oct. 15 - Jan. 15th as it's mostly observed as a 'freeze' period for hiring any new bargaining employees. They were simply taking advantage of you. :censored2: happens here all the time as everyday is different but the same by the end; it's unpredictable until the 'game' (think volume of not just packages, but workers, routes, no. of package cars, hours of work dispatched, etc.) have been both seemingly and sensibly figured out, until something unpredictable happens on-route.
So im guessing near Jan 15th they just let you know whether your staying on board or out the door?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
9FD58125-D188-411B-9A5A-42FD5B031A1B.jpeg

This center was just open Monday , now look at it

UrFellowUpser

I dont understand how working a preload job during the week would interfere with working a weekend job lol i call bs you dont want to work preload and trust me i understand