My Prayers Have Been Answered,.....THANK YOU!!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sorry.

Upstate NY Teamsters
I'm sorry to hear that.

That is unfortunate working for a thriving company like UPS.

I wish the Teamsters would have brought you and everybody else up to the level of benefits I once enjoyed, instead of bringing us down to the levels of the inferior plans implemented and perpetuated in our present contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sorry to hear that.

That is unfortunate working for a thriving company like UPS.

I wish the Teamsters would have brought you and everybody else up to the level of benefits I once enjoyed, instead of bringing us down to the levels of the inferior plans implemented and perpetuated in our present contract.

If I had to guess off the top of my head I would say my total out of pocket over the past 27 years is less than $1K.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I had to guess off the top of my head I would say my total out of pocket over the past 27 years is less than $1K.
That's hard to believe?

What's the annual deductible that you alluded to earlier?

Mine will be $400 starting next year, meaning the first $400 worth of healthcare bills for my family will come straight out of my pocket annually.

I'll have you beat in 3 years in the annual deductible alone.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago it was. The reason for the 5 year now is to keep the business. They didn't have the competition then.

There has ALWAYS been competition--the subsidized Post Office being one of the main ones years ago. Around here (I'm talking in the sticks) in the 70's and 80's there was at least a half dozen ways to get something from point A to point B-- especially if it was just an in state or surrounding states delivery. Its ONLY to the companies advantage to continue raising the length of the contracts. The longer the period of time they have you under their thumb the better it is for them.

Spongebob1

Just curious,... does anybody remember this?
image.jpeg

LagunaBrown

Any chance of the lawyer getting my company plan back
Ok, this is what I am talking about...... I hate to tell you but even if Ron Carey was in office you would not be able to force UPS to keep you in the company plan. If your wife wanted a divorce do you think you could just say "NO" and expect to stay married? A lot of people believed Z's claim that you could "Vote NO" and stay in the company plan.........Where are they now? Teamcare? The West knew this and formed the Teamsters Western Region & Local 177 Health Care Plan and I am very thankful. I advise you to read these paragraphs that are found in your old company plan that gave UPS the right to renegotiate. You forget we had made this deal a long time ago (long before healthcare sky rocketed) and UPS was stuck with it for years and hated it. Once the $6,250 maximum was met they, UPS finally got their chance to get out and members were moved to Taft Hartley plans. I admit that was a great deal while it lasted but I am happy with what the West accomplished and trust the Union far more than UPS.

(This is from the old UPS company Plan)

Contribution
All retired employees are responsible for a $50 per
month contribution for their medical coverage. This
contribution covers the retired employee, spouse and
any eligible dependent children.

Average Annual Cost
The average annual cost per participant is defined
as the total claims paid by the Plan in a calendar year,
divided by the total number of Plan participants
during that year. Each retired employee, each spouse,
and each eligible dependent would be considered
a Plan participant.

If the average annual cost per participant exceeds
$6,250, each retired employee will share equally in
the cost above the $6,250 maximum by making an
additional contribution.

The $6,250 maximum cost per participant is subject
to future negotiations. If required, the additional
contributions would not be implemented until after
the expiration of the current collective bargaining
agreement.

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Ok, this is what I am talking about...... I hate to tell you but even if Ron Carey was in office you would not be able to force UPS to keep you in the company plan. If your wife wanted a divorce do you think you could just say "NO" and expect to stay married? A lot of people believed Z's claim that you could "Vote NO" and stay in the company plan.........Where are they now? Teamcare? The West knew this and formed the Teamsters Western Region & Local 177 Health Care Plan and I am very thankful. I advise you to read these paragraphs that are found in your old company plan that gave UPS the right to renegotiate. You forget we had made this deal a long time ago (long before healthcare sky rocketed) and UPS was stuck with it for years and hated it. Once the $6,250 maximum was met they, UPS finally got their chance to get out and members were moved to Taft Hartley plans. I admit that was a great deal while it lasted but I am happy with what the West accomplished and trust the Union far more than UPS.

Contribution

Average Annual Cost
a Plan participant.

additional contribution.

agreement.

You trust the union more than UPS? How dare you?!!! These TDUers are going to be so mad at you!!!!!

Spongebob1

You would defend the devil itself, to suit your own cause,....
When you have something, and the very people you trust and pay to negotiate on your behalf and others and they basically "give the farm away and your right to strike" ( THATS A CONCESSION )

As shabbits would say, "nice spin"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Contribution

Average Annual Cost
a Plan participant.

additional contribution.

agreement.

We keep hearing this claim that "UPS wanted out of the Healthcare business", which may or may not be entirely the case.

We have also heard credible people say that UPS wanted every single UPSer nationwide in their plan if they were to continue the company plan.
This makes complete sense, as they would increase their buying power with the additional participants.
The union had no choice but to balk at this notion, because of the numerous localized multi-employer HC plans, like Local 348 in my state, that would go belly up without UPS's contributions, .

While I agree that UPS couldn't be forced to keep the company plan, if they were willing to follow through with a lockout.
I also contend that the Union did not have to bring any other proposal to the membership that they were opposed to, but the union and company were on the same page from the beginning.

This whole debacle was a charade, riddled with a series of half truths and deceptions, where some were made unwitting martyrs and still don't realize it.
This is my biggest misgiving with the whole HC switch, as I would have likely not resisted it like I did and may have even voted for it, had I been presented with the truth.

As far as Fred Z and Local 89, your assertion that they were holding out to keep the company HC plan at Worldport simply is not the case.
I know because I went there for a day and a half, on my own dime, and helped pass out Vote No literature after the Ohio Rider narrowly passed on the 3rd attempt.
Not one word of the multi page pamphlet we handed out addressed health care.
Their quest was for improved working conditions and those who say otherwise are either lying or were lied to.
I saw it first hand.

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

We keep hearing this claim that "UPS wanted out of the Healthcare business", which may or may not be entirely the case.

We have also heard credible people say that UPS wanted every single UPSer nationwide in their plan if they were to continue the company plan.
This makes complete sense, as they would increase their buying power with the additional participants.
The union had no choice but to balk at this notion, because of the numerous localized multi-employer HC plans, like Local 348 in my state, that would go belly up without UPS's contributions, .

While I agree that UPS couldn't be forced to keep the company plan, if they were willing to follow through with a lockout.
I also contend that the Union did not have to bring any other proposal to the membership that they were opposed to, but the union and company were on the same page from the beginning.

This whole debacle was a charade, riddled with a series of half truths and deceptions, where some were made unwitting martyrs and still don't realize it.
This is my biggest misgiving with the whole HC switch, as I would have likely not resisted it like I did and may have even voted for it, had I been presented with the truth.

As far as Fred Z and Local 89, your assertion that they were holding out to keep the company HC plan at Worldport simply is not the case.
I know because I went there for a day and a half, on my own dime, and helped pass out Vote No literature after the Ohio Rider narrowly passed on the 3rd attempt.
Not one word of the multi page pamphlet we handed out addressed health care.
Their quest was for improved working conditions and those who say otherwise are either lying or were lied to.
I saw it first hand.

You saw first hand? What about the T. B. Letter? They also clearly say vote no and have healthcare on their website. (see links)

http://www.teamsters89.com/Ted Bunstine Letter 3-2014.pdf

http://www.teamsters89.com/?zone=/unionactive/view_page.cfm&page=VOTENO

http://www.teamsters89.com/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=343071&page=VOTENO

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I never saw the Mitch Cumstein letter, nor did I frequent the 89 website.
Most holdout areas told their people that they would keep their HC if they continued to Vote No, and they did, until the the Master was imposed (didn't see that coming myself).

What I'm telling you is what I saw and heard personally, first hand.
Do with it what you will.

LagunaBrown

I never saw the Mitch Cumstein letter, nor did I frequent the 89 website.
Most holdout areas told their people that they would keep their HC if they continued to Vote No, and they did, until the the Master was imposed (didn't see that coming myself).

What I'm telling you is what I saw and heard personally, first hand.
Do with it what you will.

I just want people to see all sides and make an educated choice. I saw Facebook pages telling people that they would keep their HC if they continued to Vote No, it gave them hope and rumors that they could keep it forever. That was bad.

Instigator

I just want people to see all sides and make an educated choice. I saw Facebook pages telling people that they would keep their HC if they continued to Vote No, it gave them hope and rumors that they could keep it forever. That was bad.
I was on the bargaining committee. What you keep saying is just untrue. Our goal was to not see any reduction in benefits. It doesn't matter who the provider was, the reduction of benefits is what we fought for. It's too bad KH didn't understand that and screwed every UPS member that changed from the company plan to Central States.

LagunaBrown

I was on the bargaining committee. What you keep saying is just untrue. Our goal was to not see any reduction in benefits. It doesn't matter who the provider was, the reduction of benefits is what we fought for. It's too bad KH didn't understand that and screwed every UPS member that changed from the company plan to Central States.
Please, it's your word vs. all the links I posted...... The West got an MOU that got us a nice healthcare package. What did Z get?

LagunaBrown

Z got the contract imposed on his members because KH gave up the right to strike in the negotiations
Take some ownership! Z was your leader and made promises he could not deliver on. Don't blame KH. The west leaders dealt with KH and made it happen for the members. The fact is Z got it imposed on himself when all other locals passed and people were only voting no to try and stay in the company plan for as long as possible. That was weak strategy.

Spongebob1

What you choose to not understand is this is not just about health care!..... Period!!

Failed Leadership,.....!

He imposed a contract on members that VOTED NO!
J.H. and K.H need to take accountability for what they did to the members!..... When it's turned down by the members get your arse back to the table and negotiate, period!

Spongebob1

When he imposed the contract on those locals and basically said the hell with the members, I was ashamed of my leaders, what happened to "brotherhood" and "solidarity"......you people that defend H-H tells me your out for yourselves and or jockeying for a position, I'm sorry I voted for him five yrs ago!