my thoughts on new contract

satellitedriver

Well today is the day the word comes down to the leadership of the locals on the contract specifics. Since the announcement of the agreement we've seen some speculation posted about the contract details but nothing has been released from official sources. I also think their dragging of feet is worrisome and troubling and does lend itself to conspiracy speculations like we're seeing. That is a typical PR problem the union has always had IMO and hopefully we someday get leadership who don't buy into that type of functioning.

How this contract measures up in it's finished format is hard to say until we see the specific details, not internet posted "my friend was in the room when the deal was struck and he said....." or the other conspiracy theory that Hoffa and Eskew have already signed and that the vote is just a chirade.

But what is of interest to me is that the APWA is "doing this" or "organizing there" threads have about disappeared as they relate to new threads and now the APWA cheerleaders seem to be across the forum calling this contract the worst ever or sold us out and about everything else in between. In fairness, it could prove the case that it is a bad contract but at this very moment can you or anyone else other than pure speculation prove that case? Nope, you can't. And you TDUers save your links as well, I'm not interested.

Now we have what I call the "one hit wonders" who out of no where join BC and post against the contract and then after their one or 2 posts, disappear back into the shadows or they re-login back under their original used alias. You got you conspiracies and I got mine!:tongue_sm

It's in the interest of the APWA to see this contract skuttled and I'm all for them presenting their ideas in the open arena and I also welcome their efforts. "If" in the Central States area we do get a good pension plan(in fairness we don't know either way yet), I'll give APWA just as much credit as the impending doom of the new ERISA rules because I do believe their pressure out there factored in this whole deal and I do hope they continue their cause. However, I do not respect their minions coming here and sturring a pot that at this moment has nothing in it. Now once the "FACTS" are out, go for it. Give it your best shot as it's no holds barred accept be true to the facts. I'll welcome all input at that time!

JMHO
Hey Mac,
I guess I missed something in all the flurry of new members posting.
Do you have any proof that APWA minions are the ones on this site trying to scuttle the contract?
If you do, please let me know.
Most the pot sturring I have gleaned ,from the posts I've read,seemed to come from the staunch TDU supporters.
If Hoffa likes it/ we hate it. If UPS likes it/ we hate it.
This kind of mentality does not sit well with me, nor does the concept of an organized effort by APWA supporters to use this site to derail useful dialog.
As a disclaimer,
I state that I quit the teamsters in 97' and I joined the APWA last year.
Having said that, I enjoy the fact this forum is available for people of different opinions being able to speak their minds, on topics germane to Upser's.
When all the smoke clears, we all have to go to work tomorrow.
PAX

J

JonFrum

Contract Available Online

Tentative Agreement now available online. Download here . . .
http://makeupsdeliver.org/news.php?extend.95
--------------------
From the official TeamsterDotOrg website:

Local Union Leaders Unanimously Endorse Tentative UPS Agreement
Vote Paves The Way for Ballot Preparation, Mailing
October 11, 2007

Representatives of local unions that represent UPS workers across the United States unanimously voted to endorse the tentative UPS national agreement on Thursday, October 11, paving the way for ballots to be prepared and sent to members.

hall, Director of the Teamsters Parcel and Small Package Division, and General President Jim Hoffa, who serve as co-chairmen of the Teamsters National Negotiating Committee, presented the changes contained in the tentative agreement to more than 300 local union leaders.

"While other unions are struggling against employers, this tentative agreement with UPS addresses our members' concerns and is an example of how the Teamsters are moving forward faster and stronger than ever," Hoffa said.

The contract specifics outlined during the "two-person" meeting, attended by two representatives from each local union, will be posted at www.teamster.org and will be mailed to members' homes soon.

NI1

In terms cost 'cost of living', I think we took a paycut. We were making more that $.70 cents per calendar year:confused:1

C

canecorso

I just joined the Brown Cafe, so hi
First of all, I am in Local 705, I have been with UPS for almost 15 years, 5 as a part timer who got {*******}, and almost 10 as a 22.3 who is getting {*******} everyday....the master contract sucks PERIOD. 705 has always followed the national agreement witha few minor tweaks here and there, but I will not and cannot endorse this contract, I can't believe that a porter, someone who pushed a {*******} broom is making a full six dollars more an hour than us (22.3) Granted for most of us either the 1st half or 2nd half is easier than the later, but me personally I start at 11:30pm do car wash, then preload, which everyone knows SUCKS!!!! We should be comparable to FULLTIMERS PAY!!!

As for the part timers I feel for them, they are getting {*******} also, lets face it...this contract will pass, I am voting NO, most teamsters will vote NO, but ppl who come to work and that are suckholes (everyone knows them) will vote yes, and this is the contract we will all have to take right in the {*******}

{edited by Cheryl to remove multiple friend bombs etc... CLEAN UP YOUR LANGUAGE!}

Last edited by a moderator:

18wheelbrownie

Well today is the day the word comes down to the leadership of the locals on the contract specifics. Since the announcement of the agreement we've seen some speculation posted about the contract details but nothing has been released from official sources. I also think their dragging of feet is worrisome and troubling and does lend itself to conspiracy speculations like we're seeing. That is a typical PR problem the union has always had IMO and hopefully we someday get leadership who don't buy into that type of functioning.

How this contract measures up in it's finished format is hard to say until we see the specific details, not internet posted "my friend was in the room when the deal was struck and he said....." or the other conspiracy theory that Hoffa and Eskew have already signed and that the vote is just a chirade.

But what is of interest to me is that the APWA is "doing this" or "organizing there" threads have about disappeared as they relate to new threads and now the APWA cheerleaders seem to be across the forum calling this contract the worst ever or sold us out and about everything else in between. In fairness, it could prove the case that it is a bad contract but at this very moment can you or anyone else other than pure speculation prove that case? Nope, you can't. And you TDUers save your links as well, I'm not interested.

Now we have what I call the "one hit wonders" who out of no where join BC and post against the contract and then after their one or 2 posts, disappear back into the shadows or they re-login back under their original used alias. You got you conspiracies and I got mine!:tongue_sm

It's in the interest of the APWA to see this contract skuttled and I'm all for them presenting their ideas in the open arena and I also welcome their efforts. "If" in the Central States area we do get a good pension plan(in fairness we don't know either way yet), I'll give APWA just as much credit as the impending doom of the new ERISA rules because I do believe their pressure out there factored in this whole deal and I do hope they continue their cause. However, I do not respect their minions coming here and sturring a pot that at this moment has nothing in it. Now once the "FACTS" are out, go for it. Give it your best shot as it's no holds barred accept be true to the facts. I'll welcome all input at that time!

JMHO

teamsters had their chance and in 2003 when the cuts came down, and now with all information about rules on retirement and benefits and best contracts ever i would rather cut out the teamsters and have a employee own union like the pilots!!!!:thumbup1:
remember pkg drs. bust their butts every day for their benefits and hoping they make it to recieve their pensions!!!!
whats wrong with leaving after 20 yrs. and getting your pension with no rules???
this is not your father or grandfathers union anymore and i not so sure if it ours either?

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
I cant believe the POLL on this website about voting on the contract is so close, either people are just joking around on here while their voting or they dont know what their clicking... lol

At any rate, how can you possibly vote a 'yes' when this contract was bargained in under less then a year before the old contract is up? Over the years when we have gotten 'the best contract ever' it has taken them up to the day or sometimes past the deadline to come to agreements!!

This tentative agreement right now should be just a start of what we want to have on the final contract NOT the final contract right now! its way to soon to bring it to a vote and im sorry but if the union reps sees this contract as a great deal then we got the wrong people representing US!

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I cant believe the POLL on this website about voting on the contract is so close, either people are just joking around on here while their voting or they dont know what their clicking... lol

At any rate, how can you possibly vote a 'yes' when this contract was bargained in under less then a year before the old contract is up? Over the years when we have gotten 'the best contract ever' it has taken them up to the day or sometimes past the deadline to come to agreements!!

This tentative agreement right now should be just a start of what we want to have on the final contract NOT the final contract right now! its way to soon to bring it to a vote and im sorry but if the union reps sees this contract as a great deal then we got the wrong people representing US!

The polls are open to anyone who has access to the web. Perhaps the yes votes are coming from folks who aren't affected by the contract or a troll like me (jk :tt2:)

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
LOL, thanks for the reply, i wasnt aware that it was open to non-members...doesnt really mean much anyhow but interesting to see the figures.

Lizzard Toungue

When we're all honest with ourselves, we saw this weak contract coming a mile away. The Teamsters needed UPS to save them from the federal spanking they would receive on their underfunded pensions. Sadly enough this contract only addresses the Central States follies. How do the people in New England and Central PA plans feel about this? I imagine their plans will be needing a massive infusion of cash also. What will we give up in future contract negotiations to save the other plans from collapse? Notice that this is only a five year contract.

The IBT has led us into this money pit and their only answers for getting us out is for us to throw more of our money and concessions at the problem. And what does the IBT get out of this deal? The new union dues and pension contributions from the unopposed organization of the 15,000 employees at UPS Freight.

Call me pessimistic, but this will only get worse before it gets better.
I vote NO.

nospinzone

The carrot that corporate gave IBT in exchange for this weak contract, as reported by TDU.....

In a conference call with local unions on Oct. 2, hall and James Hoffa reported that there is a "card check" deal with UPS Freight, which will make it easier to organize the various terminals. If the majority of workers at a terminal sign Teamster cards that are independently verified, the company will recognize and bargain with the Teamsters Union at that barn.

The union agreed to management's demand to make that card check agreement conditional on ratification of the UPS national contract, including the break-out of 44,000 Teamsters from the Central States Fund. That was management's central demand in national bargaining. As reported on the call, signing of cards cannot start until after the whole UPS contract process is done.
SOURCE

J

jerseyparcel

Re:questiom

what is the actual pay raise compared to 28.17, how much more are we getting

DorkHead

The article above, unedited, is as follows:

UPS Freight Indianapolis Contract

October 10, 2007: On Oct. 7, UPS Freight workers at the Indianapolis terminal voted 107-1 to approve a new contract that will last six years, until Aug. 1, 2013. The International Union will use it as a model for other UPS Freight terminals around the country.
In a conference call with local unions on Oct. 2, hall and James Hoffa reported that there is a "card check" deal with UPS Freight, which will make it easier to organize the various terminals. If the majority of workers at a terminal sign Teamster cards that are independently verified, the company will recognize and bargain with the Teamsters Union at that barn.
The union agreed to management's demand to make that card check agreement conditional on ratification of the UPS national contract, including the break-out of 44,000 Teamsters from the Central States Fund. That was management's central demand in national bargaining. As reported on the call, signing of cards cannot start until after the whole UPS contract process is done.
Contract Terms
The UPS Freight contract will not be under the National Master Freight Agreement, or a supplement to it, but a white paper contract. Wages go up 65¢ immediately, and then 70-75-80-85-90¢ over the next five years (the wage increases are split in half each year, in January and July). It has company pension, apparently with no improvement, and company health benefits. A Teamster must pay $150 per month to get family health coverage. No change in sick days, personal days or vacations.
The company previously provided matching money for a 401(k), and that was given up in the contract. That and the co-pay for health insurance are two of the issues that a number of UPS Freight drivers have forcefully objected to on the internet forum truckingboards.
But they now get union protection: a grievance procedure (not the freight panels, a company-based procedure) and seniority rights.
Some in the Freight Division have expressed concern that relief given to UPS, the most profitable transport corporation in the world, will weaken our bargaining power with freight carriers which compete with UPS Freight. On the conference call, Hall appealed to them to hold their fire and "trust us."
Organizing Drive
Organizing by locals at UPS Freight terminals could start by the end of the year, if the UPS national contract and the pension fund break-out are approved. The "card check" deal has a three-year duration, so our union has that period to sign up the majority at as many terminals as possible. Many locals are eager to take a crack at bringing some of the 15,000 UPS Freight workers into the Teamster fold.
Attempted Decertification in Reno
A potential sour note in the organizing effort was struck a week earlier at the Reno Nevada UPS Freight terminal. This is one of a few UPS Freight terminals under Teamster contract; it was formerly Motor Cargo, a company bought by Overnite, which later became UPS Freight.
On Sept. 25 a vote was held to decertify the Teamsters and go nonunion. Fortunately the union won 32-31, but there are three challenged ballots to be resolved. Hopefully Local 533 will hold onto that Teamster unit.

1timepu

I am a part timer, have been for 4 years and after hearing all of this well I believe this is BS. People probably do have better starting pay at Wal Mart..... REDIC

Nobody has forced you to work at UPS, goto Walmart, let see how long it takes if at all to move up

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
You bust your butt long hours in every kind of weather . Doesn't matter if you don't feel good, or have a headache, or you got personal stuff to do. You show up every day give it your best effort and enjoy the time you have off with family or whatever. Your employer-UPS- makes 4 BILLION dollars of profit per year. Haven't we earned a pension that at least keeps up with inflation.? How many union reps and ups mukkity-muks will settle for a pension less than 50% of their yearly wages- NONE. We deserve better from BOTH UPS and our union!:mad:

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
When we're all honest with ourselves, we saw this weak contract coming a mile away. The Teamsters needed UPS to save them from the federal spanking they would receive on their underfunded pensions. Sadly enough this contract only addresses the Central States follies. How do the people in New England and Central PA plans feel about this? I imagine their plans will be needing a massive infusion of cash also. What will we give up in future contract negotiations to save the other plans from collapse? Notice that this is only a five year contract.

The IBT has led us into this money pit and their only answers for getting us out is for us to throw more of our money and concessions at the problem. And what does the IBT get out of this deal? The new union dues and pension contributions from the unopposed organization of the 15,000 employees at UPS Freight.

Call me pessimistic, but this will only get worse before it gets better.
I vote NO.
Hear - hear Nospinzone - This contract has skunk smell all over it and its a bailout for the teamsters too plus they end up getting more dues payers for the concessions - go figure ! Its a win win for the teamsters management too ! Dooey - Cheatam - Howe is the ballot checking law firm :lol:

Our local BA told us that it is a bad contract. The language buried in the details almost all goes to UPS benefit. GPS give backs unacceptable. 6 month wage split must not be accepted. It will be the standard from now on every new contract.
We have absolutely nothing to lose by making the 2 sides go back and talk some more. Nothing in this deal goes into effect until next Aug. This is not a strike vote, only a vote that says you must go back and do some more bargaining. I think that the deal will be sweetened if we just say no. UPS wants it accepted very badly for public relations reasons. The Union wants UPS Freight organization. We the drivers must hold them both accountable and let them know it is our contract. Vote No.