My UPS conspiracy theory

Brownsfan

I think UPS is using the netflix business approach to streamline their business. If UPS can lose enough customers, then they would have to fire drivers to cover the loss. So now UPS is smaller has a lower overhead and now they can focus on the real money maker, UPS business deliveries. I can see them coming out saying there sorry and that they will resurrect this great company from the wreak it has become.

Well in order to do that we need to lose our union status, so we can be more efficient and more profitable like the old days. So with the union gone they can make top wage $15 dollars an hour. Now, With the money saved in the form operating cost they then start a residential only company like fed ex. This new service would deliver almost 2oo stops a day, in the right area and now even the residential volume is making money.

The last thing on there list will be bringing in the drivers to load their own routes therefore eliminating all part time positions as well as all the part time money spent on healthcare and the like.

I know it sounds crazy, but never, ever, ever doubt the lows these greedy bast***s will go to make or save a buck

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I think you are on to something, but, I think the goal UPS has is this. Force a strike in 2013 to break the Union, pay lower wages and health and welfare package.
If this means they lose even up to 50% of the business fine lay of the drivers but now they can lower prices to work to get business back that they lost. WIth lower wages they increase profit and over time.

Also with a weaker union they would be able to really turn the screws on the drivers and force us to work even longer hours, be able to fire the drivers they dont like much easier.

Indecisi0n

I think you are on to something, but, I think the goal UPS has is this. Force a strike in 2013 to break the Union, pay lower wages and health and welfare package.
If this means they lose even up to 50% of the business fine lay of the drivers but now they can lower prices to work to get business back that they lost. WIth lower wages they increase profit and over time.

Also with a weaker union they would be able to really turn the screws on the drivers and force us to work even longer hours, be able to fire the drivers they dont like much easier.

Sounds like they are taking notes from Verizon's book.

hembone

I think UPS is using the netflix business approach to streamline their business. If UPS can lose enough customers, then they would have to fire drivers to cover the loss. So now UPS is smaller has a lower overhead and now they can focus on the real money maker, UPS business deliveries. I can see them coming out saying there sorry and that they will resurrect this great company from the wreak it has become.

Well in order to do that we need to lose our union status, so we can be more efficient and more profitable like the old days. So with the union gone they can make top wage $15 dollars an hour. Now, With the money saved in the form operating cost they then start a residential only company like fed ex. This new service would deliver almost 2oo stops a day, in the right area and now even the residential volume is making money.

The last thing on there list will be bringing in the drivers to load their own routes therefore eliminating all part time positions as well as all the part time money spent on healthcare and the like.

I know it sounds crazy, but never, ever, ever doubt the lows these greedy bast***s will go to make or save a buck

You're right it sounds crazy

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, the landline end goes on strike and lately I've been hearing ads about "home connect" or something like that from Verizon Wireless, (a non-union company).

I was stopped at a red light outside the Verizon facility and had a chance to ask one of the guys if there was any progress--he told me that there has been no movement by either side. Ironically one of our former supervisors who later became a driver is now a Verizon technician walking a picket line.

The Verizon hourlies have been picketing outside of our local Verizon Wireless store, which surprised me as I thought that they were a division of Verizon.

DorkHead

Everyone is entitled to their own theory, but I do know that creating PTmers to load the trucks was one of the most profitable moves UPS has ever made for this company

P

pickup

I was stopped at a red light outside the Verizon facility and had a chance to ask one of the guys if there was any progress--he told me that there has been no movement by either side. Ironically one of our former supervisors who later became a driver is now a Verizon technician walking a picket line.

The Verizon hourlies have been picketing outside of our local Verizon Wireless store, which surprised me as I thought that they were a division of Verizon.

I believe that the Verizon stores are independently owned and operated but the money for the wireless service contracts still go to the coffers of Verizon, (minus whatever sales commission the stores get).

thessalonian13

When you were writing your thesis, were you also craving lots of munchies and giggling uncontrollably like a little girl? LOL