N. Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Iran, the Vatican news

newfie

I think the "liberal position" is the president shouldn't mouth off with threats he has no intention of following through on. The position will be protesting against the war like we did for Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not rooting for NK, I'm rooting against starting another land war in Asia. It has some nuance, I don't expect you to understand.

typical liberal response. Trump has "mouthed off" what every presidents position actually has been. You just don't like it when Trump says it.

newfie

Thus why should I be required to involve myself in what became a clean up operation for mismanagement for a business and economic arrangement?

I understand your argument against the motives of governments and politicians. But with WWII we come under direct threat from both Germany and japan.

so when japan attacks us do you turn the other cheek?
when Germany then declares war on us do you just ignore it?

wkmac

I understand your argument against the motives of governments and politicians. But with WWII we come under direct threat from both Germany and japan.

so when japan attacks us do you turn the other cheek?
when Germany then declares war on us do you just ignore it?

No, we didn't, the business and economic entity known as the United States of America did.

rickyb

south korea is probably more afraid of trump than north korea

and guam is a colony of US since 1898. they get 1/7th the funding of states, they dont have social programs like EI, i they cant vote for a president.

wkmac

I'm trying to understand your belief system here. when japan attacks do you ignore it?

WHAT did they attack? Not who but WHAT? That is the heart of the question.

Pearl was a military extension of the entity known as the United States. The US had chosen to take steps that is knew would be a provocation to Japan who might react to take some form of retaliation.

Were some innocent people caught in that crossfire? Yes and on both sides yet this did not deter the 2 nationstates at all from making the choices they did which raises other questions about the false beliefs we hold concerning State entities and their public utility for good.

Do I side or support either one in their foolishness? Not in the least. I'm just saddened for all the victims it creates in its wake.

Besides, neither of us were alive at the time so this is all academic anyway after the fact. We are trying to project ourselves into a historical event and then assign ourselves a position.

One of the great military theorists of our modern times who is still studied in modern warfare was the Prussian General Carl von Clausewitz who stated, "War is a continuation of politics by other means."

Modern politics of nationstates are nothing more than business and economic maneuvering carried out in the interest of varying self serving entities camouflaged by a utility to appear as a public good. I see no reason whatsoever to assert any loyalty to such. Just because I was born in a geographic area a certain nationstate claims supremacy doesn't burden me with loyalty and respect back to it. My mother and father gave me birth and yet I don't love or respect solely on that point. They have earned my love and respect over the years by their nurturing and caring for me and their motives were genuine just as most parents are. The same is not said of the nationstate.

That doesn't mean I've no loyalty to people and place, that is not the State in my view, nor am I against self defense. Point of order, when I use the terms State and Nationstate, I mean the same thing and not 2 separate things. continuing....

If one IS attacked or a real threat is at the door and not just some drunk at the bar running off at the mouth, which in the case of Kim this is what I think he is, then yeah, you kill and you kill in the most brutal and grotesque means you can as this acts to deter the next guy who thinks of avenging the first. And if he does you do the same to him. But at the same time, if you commit a wrong and the other guy retaliates in reaction to the wrong, I will stand aside and let you reap the rewards of your actions. Why should I deny you the fruits of your labor?

Kim is crazy no doubt, (maybe Trump is the fruits of Kim's labor LOL!) but that doesn't green light the US into provoking him either which is partly what I think they are doing. Seems to me there is a question of just who is being the bully here but most have picked sides as a result of self identifying with nationstates through which they project themselves.

I just don't find it necessary to self identify with an entity that at the end of the day doesn't really give a $chitt about me to start with, other than to serve their needs as an energy source (aka copper top), nor do I feel it necessary to fall prey to false alarms when it (the State) doesn't get its way while playing with others.

You are free to project yourself and self identify with the nationstate, the vast majority do. That is not an uncommon thing at all. It's almost as common as rain in Georgia and right now we can't get rid of it so there you go. You are free to sing its hymns, genuflect to its special cloths and otherwise heep all manner of worship upon it as you see fit. My not doing that has no effect on any of that whatsoever and you can trust me on that one.

I am admittedly a vastly clear minority as in the only one here (and accept that) with being no threat whatsoever to the established order you value but your choices don't then project a burden upon me to join you nor my choices project a burden on you.

Liberty is such a frightening thing isn't it?

Maybe that offers some clarity into my so-called belief system and if it doesn't suit you, oh well.

watdaflock?

Guess who is taking credit for Otto’s release? | Howie Carr Show
g85ssbb.jpg

Who's the brother in the red hat and hoodie?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
i just saw an article by a former Navy SEAL about how he would possible defeat NK.
It is one of those strange but will work ideas.
Place satellites over NK that provide free wifi , then drop 25 million i-phones into NK.
The goal is to connect Kim's subjects to the outside world .
It does not matter if the military collects each phone , some one is bound to use one and Kim's control over his subjects will be lost.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Brutal and inhumane laws North Koreans are forced to live under

One of the country's most brutal laws is the ‘three generations of punishment’ rule. If one person is convicted of a serious crime and sent to a prison camp their immediate family can also be sent with them. Then the next two generations born in the camps can also remain there. The edict was introduced in 1972 by Kim Il-sung and said up to three generations had to be punished to wipe out the 'seed' of class enemies.
Crimes for which North Koreans can find themselves sent to a prison camp can allegedly include failure to wipe dust off portraits of Kim Il-sung and having contact with South Koreans. Conditions in the country's prison and labour camps are notoriously harsh. Survivors have described prisoners becoming stunted and deformed from carrying out hard labour for 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

Clothing and food are said to be so scarce inmates are forced to survive on any animals they can capture such as rats.