NBC Nightly News

542thruNthru

Dude you have no idea how close I came to pulling that today. My center manager is actually a pretty decent guy who addresses issues when you go into his office and have a man to man. He's on vacation. The guy in charge this week is a tool. I felt backed into a corner because everybody on the loop was friend'ed, we have no extra cars nor extra Prime week rentals. I genuinely believed that they would just cut the truck onto everybody else and send me home. Rock and a hard place. Texted the bid driver who gets back from vacation on Monday and he will most definetely take care of it. He is a feared greivance master

I can understand it.

The problem is it's that one time where we don't want to upset someone that causes someone to be seriously injured or killed.

This company puts that mentality into our heads and it pisses me off. Its even apparent in the NBC article that was written. Too many drivers are afraid of looking weak or thought less of.

ManInBrown

I can understand it.

The problem is it's that one time where we don't want to upset someone that causes someone to be seriously injured or killed.

This company puts that mentality into our heads and it pisses me off. Its even apparent in the NBC article that was written. Too many drivers are afraid of looking weak or thought less of.
I hate to say it but I think 99% are afraid. Has nothing to do with looking weak. The fear this company puts in a majority of employees eyes is mind boggling. 30 year package car drivers I used to see show up 45 minutes before the start time pacing back and forth, looking at their stops on the computer. It’s amazing. It’s truly sad that people could be so scared. Especially at this job where everyone knows damn well, if you Don’t kill anyone, dont steal, don’t punch anyone in the face, and don’t lie and you’re bulletproof.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I hate to say it but I think 99% are afraid. Has nothing to do with looking weak. The fear this company puts in a majority of employees eyes is mind boggling. 30 year package car drivers I used to see show up 45 minutes before the start time pacing back and forth, looking at their stops on the computer. It’s amazing. It’s truly sad that people could be so scared. Especially at this job where everyone knows damn well, if you Don’t kill anyone, dont steal, don’t punch anyone in the face, and don’t lie and you’re bulletproof.
You would be surprised at how many 30 yr drivers beeline to the office every morning to check the fairy tale report to see if they get a spanking for "overallowed ". Sometimes you can see the pee running down their leg.

542thruNthru

That's definitely a part of it too.

This company puts it in our heads. Hell look at this website. New uniforms are coming out and half the comments are about people being pusillanimous.

We are constantly pitted against each other to make us do things. Anyways I'm intoxicated so I'm done. :)

Observer

Check out the full report on NBC News - very eye opening. Turns out CA is trying to get a law passed regarding this very problem. Personally, OSHA and the Union should be a lot more pro-active then they are. The report cited several examples of different scenarios of the severe disregard for safety.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I hate that bs. Our safety is literally a non priority at UPS. From my first day on the preload when I was directed to pull a 125 lb box by myself "hurry quick before it gets passed the rollers"
To this past Tuesday when I wrote up the front tires for being worn. Today still no response in the DVIR, same dangerous donuts full of cracks and basically bald. On a rural route, all rough dirt roads that I'm covering.
I'm sure everybody else on BC sees and goes through the same crap at their building
What are you doing to try and change this?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Time for a change!

Integrity

Binge Poster
That's definitely a part of it too.

This company puts it in our heads. Hell look at this website. New uniforms are coming out and half the comments are about people being pusillanimous.

We are constantly pitted against each other to make us do things. Anyways I'm intoxicated so I'm done. :)
Take action!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Check out the full report on NBC News - very eye opening. Turns out CA is trying to get a law passed regarding this very problem. Personally, OSHA and the Union should be a lot more pro-active then they are. The report cited several examples of different scenarios of the severe disregard for safety.
Well said.

textat3

You are in charge of you at all times 100%. Command by negation. Tell them what you are going to do. Make it part of your daily routine to cool down during certain parts of your day. Invoke "cool solutions" if questioned about "down time". Don't take your break at the end of the day....adjust to changing conditions. Stay hydrated and stay safe...focus on what you need to do to deliver one stop at a time.

Overpaid Union Thug

You would be surprised at how many 30 yr drivers beeline to the office every morning to check the fairy tale report to see if they get a spanking for "overallowed ". Sometimes you can see the pee running down their leg.

I guess every center has those people. I hate coming to work more than 15 minutes before start time but i do to have time to put my backpack in the truck, get ice, etc. Those guys are there as much as an hour before start time! They are pacing nervously or sitting/standing in one spot looking like they are playing a video game on their DIAD. The General mood is depressing or what you’d feel walking into the lower levels of the Roman Coliseum before a gladiator match. Some of their “numbers” texted to them by the OMS each night.