NBC Nightly News

KOG72

I’m full of it
Every safety meeting I have ever been to one of the main topics is for better ventilation in the cargo area and of course nothing ever happens.Like it is heard by deaf ears.

Dumbo

I worked 13 hours in 114 degree heat index yesterday and didn't have a problem.

Things UPS should do is add routes and turn Orion off. Most problems are from being in the back of the truck. They should encourage working from the front of the truck to the back to minimize time in the cargo area, not having you climb around a 300 stop truck for a 7000 package. That's pure idiocy.

There are things you should do is take care of yourself. You are paid a lot of money to essentially be an athlete, so act like it. Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job. The majority of heat incidents are due to your own lack of personal care. It's not UPS's job to force you to take steps in your health to reduce heat related incidents. It's common sense that higher blood pressure, eating too much sugar, basically being a fat ass, will raise your risk of pretty much anything.

Other things UPS should be doing is giving tips through the day, such as "If you need to sort your truck, find a shady spot and open both doors", "If you have gas stations on route stop and ask for a free cup of ice", "don't wear underwear", etc. Instead of the same droning "hydrate" tip.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Things UPS should do is add routes and turn Orion off. Most problems are from being in the back of the truck. They should encourage working from the front of the truck to the back to minimize time in the cargo area, not having you climb around a 300 stop truck for a 7000 package. That's pure idiocy.

There are things you should do is take care of yourself. You are paid a lot of money to essentially be an athlete, so act like it. Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job. The majority of heat incidents are due to your own lack of personal care. It's not UPS's job to force you to take steps in your health to reduce heat related incidents. It's common sense that higher blood pressure, eating too much sugar, basically being a fat ass, will raise your risk of pretty much anything.

Other things UPS should be doing is giving tips through the day, such as "If you need to sort your truck, find a shady spot and open both doors", "If you have gas stations on route stop and ask for a free cup of ice", "don't wear underwear", etc. Instead of the same droning "hydrate" tip.
“Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job.“

Nope my job is to deliver packages

Don't wear underwear. LMAO

KOG72

I’m full of it
“Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job.“

All of this water intake has actually added a few pounds to me in my gut area but around my ass I think I am getting the Hank Hill Syndrome

Dumbo

I disagree. If you owned an NFL team you wouldn't allow your players to live the life of a typical out of shape person. If I ran a gym I wouldn't hire an out of shape personal trainer. If I ran a roofing company, I wouldn't allow a 250 pound guy with diabetes and an alcohol problem to be climbing roofs. It's our job to take care of ourselves so we can do the job requires of us.

Dumbo

All of this water intake has actually added a few pounds to me in my gut area but around my ass I think I am getting the Hank Hill Syndrome

I drank about 2 gallons yesterday. First thing my wife said when I got home at 1030 was that it looked like I lost 10 pounds.

Brownslave688

I disagree. If you owned an NFL team you wouldn't allow your players to live the life of a typical out of shape person. If I ran a gym I wouldn't hire an out of shape personal trainer. If I ran a roofing company, I wouldn't allow a 250 pound guy with diabetes and an alcohol problem to be climbing roofs. It's our job to take care of ourselves so we can do the job requires of us.
Maybe you should become CEO and get a fitness clause put in the contract. Until then you can pound sand.

You’re basically saying you’d fire everyone that isn’t 25 and in peak condition lol

Dumbo

Maybe you should become CEO and get a fitness clause put in the contract. Until then you can pound sand.

You’re basically saying you’d fire everyone that isn’t 25 and in peak condition lol

I wouldn't fire anyone. Just saying that many of the times these problems are of our own doing. It's just common sense that an employer isn't going to want somebody who is required to be in a highly active job to intentionally make health decisions to maximize the risk of injury, illness, or death. The lifestyle should to fit the career. Many problems related to ones health in this job are because of their own lifestyle. you shouldn't bitch about heat if you don't take steps to protect yourself from it. You cant say that UPS should supply a climate controlled non risk bubble room environment for you because you want to be a chain smoking out of shape employee who is at high risk of dehydrating himself or giving himself a heart attack because he wanted to close the bar down the night before.

Brownslave688

I wouldn't fire anyone. Just saying that many of the times these problems are of our own doing. It's just common sense that an employer isn't going to want somebody who is required to be in a highly active job to intentionally make health decisions to maximize the risk of injury, illness, or death. The lifestyle should to fit the career. Many problems related to ones health in this job are because of their own lifestyle. you shouldn't bitch about heat if you don't take steps to protect yourself from it. You cant say that UPS should supply a climate controlled non risk bubble room environment for you because you want to be a chain smoking out of shape employee who is at high risk of dehydrating himself or giving himself a heart attack because he wanted to close the bar down the night before.
Except in my experience it’s always the runners that drop out. Not the fat, old, out of shape guys that just take their time
And do the job at a steady reasonable pace.

Dumbo

But for some reason it's the younger guys that always end up going to the hospital for heat exhaustion.

Yep, that's kind of where I was going with it. Most the older guys I see at my hub carry a large gallon jug with them, and I can tell they work at a controlled pace all day.

Probably the majority of our younger guys come in drinking mountain dew and eating a gas station donut. A lot of smokers, runners, hungover from the night before, etc.

I'm in my 40s and a former nutritionist and trainer and I can see a very distinct difference in lifestyles and age.

Indecisi0n

Yes because adding a $1.50 vent to the rear cargo area would criple UPS .