NBC Nightly News

oldngray

nowhere special
This is why I always drink 30 plus ounces before I go to bed. Then 16 or so if I wake up to pee and 30-40 on my way to work.

Start to the day hydrated and you won’t be trying to play catch up by chugging at 1 in the afternoon
You have to start hydrating before you feel like you really need it.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
But for some reason it's the younger guys that always end up going to the hospital for heat exhaustion.
Because they are dumb and go getters. They are too quick to impress the management so they can get a pat on the back and 20 more stops the next day. I have a buddy that’s a younger cover driver does 150-170 stops daily and always complains but goes out and runs his ass off skips lunch etc then gets surprised when the next day he says more stops. I take more water breaks in 8hrs then he does all week.

Because they are dumb a go getters. They are too quick to impress the management so they can get a pat on the back and 20 more stops the next day. I have a buddy that’s a younger cover driver does 150-170 stops daily and always complains but goes out and runs his ass off skips lunch etc then gets surprised when the next day he says more stops. I take more water breaks in 8hrs then he does all week.
I try to dig in a little harder in the early part of the day, getting rid of bulk and irregs before the hottest part of the day comes. I also have a few favorite shady spots where I open up all of my doors and sort my truck out.

You still have to find a way to be productive without killing yourself. On the other hand the company needs to do a little more for us on these extreme temperature days. Get us out of the building a little earlier and maybe lighten up the dispatch a little bit. Even if they can put another route in , having a few air drivers to help you out with the air so that you get done a little earlier.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Two things came from the report, and the much more thorough article. 1. UPS doesn't give a damn how hot it is. They expect the same numbers when the heat index is 115 as they do when it's -10. The only reason they remotely give a damn is because if you were to die, they could get hit with a lawsuit. Beyond that, they wouldn't send flowers to your funeral and they'd replace you the next day. It's all about profit and production. There is zero concern for the human element, and it gets worse every year. Our center tends to give us our highest stop counts during the hottest days. It happens every summer. This past week was the hottest week of the year and I had more stops per day than I did at peak.

Secondly, it showed that our union is worthless and is just as worthless, greedy and unconcerned about us as UPS is. When the public thinks of union jobs, they think of cushy jobs where people do more laying around than work and get paid some big wage. In reality, our union job is about as close to a sweat shop as it gets in the developed world. Now, people we say we make all this money, but that's because UPS has to pay good if they expect anyone to do this job for a living. It's not because the Teamsters wanted us to get a good wage and fought UPS for it. We make a ton of money for UPS, and if we didn't, they wouldn't pay what they do.

You can argue all you want, or disagree with me, but the fact is that UPS gives zero friend** about our well-being and the union is too worried about our dues and too weak to force them to give a damn.

Another idiot that thinks UPS pays us our rate because they want to, not because it was bargained for, along with benefits and pension. You sir, are a dumb :censored2:.

undies

You know the conditions, you’re told the conditions and still CHOOSE not to stay hydrated throughout the day? And then you get sick and refuse to advocate for yourself?

I’m sorry but I have no sympathy for people who can’t speak up or take care of themselves. Heat is not new or is it complicated on how to deal with it!!!

You know the conditions, you’re told the conditions and still CHOOSE not to stay hydrated throughout the day? And then you get sick and refuse to advocate for yourself?

I’m sorry but I have no sympathy for people who can’t speak up or take care of themselves. Heat is not new or is it complicated on how to deal with it!!!
No excuse for not being prepared for work but with that being said. No excuse for keeping people out in that weather for 12 hours. I don't care how good of shape you are in, it's too much.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I worked 13 hours in 114 degree heat index yesterday and didn't have a problem.

Things UPS should do is add routes and turn Orion off. Most problems are from being in the back of the truck. They should encourage working from the front of the truck to the back to minimize time in the cargo area, not having you climb around a 300 stop truck for a 7000 package. That's pure idiocy.

There are things you should do is take care of yourself. You are paid a lot of money to essentially be an athlete, so act like it. Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job. The majority of heat incidents are due to your own lack of personal care. It's not UPS's job to force you to take steps in your health to reduce heat related incidents. It's common sense that higher blood pressure, eating too much sugar, basically being a fat ass, will raise your risk of pretty much anything.

Other things UPS should be doing is giving tips through the day, such as "If you need to sort your truck, find a shady spot and open both doors", "If you have gas stations on route stop and ask for a free cup of ice", "don't wear underwear", etc. Instead of the same droning "hydrate" tip.

Lol

Integrity

Binge Poster
I worked 13 hours in 114 degree heat index yesterday and didn't have a problem.

Things UPS should do is add routes and turn Orion off. Most problems are from being in the back of the truck. They should encourage working from the front of the truck to the back to minimize time in the cargo area, not having you climb around a 300 stop truck for a 7000 package. That's pure idiocy.

There are things you should do is take care of yourself. You are paid a lot of money to essentially be an athlete, so act like it. Eat well, sleep well, exercise, hydrate, stretch at home, implement stress controls, lower your bodyfat level. That is your job. The majority of heat incidents are due to your own lack of personal care. It's not UPS's job to force you to take steps in your health to reduce heat related incidents. It's common sense that higher blood pressure, eating too much sugar, basically being a fat ass, will raise your risk of pretty much anything.

Other things UPS should be doing is giving tips through the day, such as "If you need to sort your truck, find a shady spot and open both doors", "If you have gas stations on route stop and ask for a free cup of ice", "don't wear underwear", etc. Instead of the same droning "hydrate" tip.
UPS needs to just act with integrity and put a plan to air condition their vehicles and facilities in place.

If they don’t want to do this they should remove air conditioning from all management offices immediately.

Who is kidding who here?

I don’t agree air conditioning the trucks and facilities will be ineffective as long as it is working it will be cooling down the air. I do believe it will inefficient at first as employees get used to it and learn how conserve it as much as possible.

I think once air is in you will be amazed at how employees learn to operate so that they stay as cool as possible.