NDA committed areas

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think the drivers changing the zips AND their management team all need to be fired. They are being dishonest and cheating our customers.

People like that WE DO NOT NEED!

I know what you mean. I don't do this because I know if push came to shove I would lose my job over it. Part of the bigger picture, the bigger issue I have with this is very senior drivers are allowed one set of rules while others are not. Not only does it put me in a bad position (which I won't let happen) it friend me on those rtes that I have to cover.

SWORDFISH

You wont see me changing zips to make sure things are ontime directed by a supe or not. I will drive to timbuktoo by 1030am if I need to. The dispatch needs to be adjusted or you will be working some long days. What if the customer orders NDA and its tickets to an event. They have to leave to catch a plane at 1030 and some one changes their zip and delivers it at 2pm? When they had it shipped however they were told they it would be at their doorstep by 1030.

rocket man

Re: NDA committed areas (Yo! P-man)

P-man, I have a question (and anyone else that might have info).

I was talking to my sup this morning about the issue of NDA's being committed in rural areas and how certain drivers are allowed to change zip codes or sheet as NI. We have 2 particular areas that cause major problems.

We have 3 zip codes that are committed. Is it possible to take specific areas out of a single zip code and 'un'commit them?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There are even more nuances to this................................

It used to be that we had specific zips that were not committed at all. Now, within those specific zips, we have gotten a commit time for EAM's. NDA's are still not committed. What I see happening is that soon, we will have commits for NDA's as well. I was on one of the NDA non-committed rtes the other day. I delivered NDA's all day long. I brought back 4 NDA's as send agains. If they start committing these areas it will further the nightmare. Right now they are trying to do away with our air drivers and yet I fear they will change the committed areas to encompass even more areas.

SWORDFISH

I know what you mean. I don't do this because I know if push came to shove I would lose my job over it. Part of the bigger picture, the bigger issue I have with this is very senior drivers are allowed one set of rules while others are not. Not only does it put me in a bad position (which I won't let happen) it friend me on those rtes that I have to cover.

I agree w/ you on that one. I used to cover a country route where the driver of that route is never watched. If I did what he does I wouldnt be at UPS anymore. He gets done fast though and they like it and they probably dont want to know. Makes you look bad when you take alot longer than a guy 15 years older than you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You wont see me changing zips to make sure things are ontime directed by a supe or not. I will drive to timbuktoo by 1030am if I need to. The dispatch needs to be adjusted or you will be working some long days. What if the customer orders NDA and its tickets to an event. They have to leave to catch a plane at 1030 and some one changes their zip and delivers it at 2pm? When they had it shipped however they were told they it would be at their doorstep by 1030.

I agree and your scenario is absolutely not out of the realm of possibility.

upsgrunt

I agree w/ you on that one. I used to cover a country route where the driver of that route is never watched. If I did what he does I wouldnt be at UPS anymore. He gets done fast though and they like it and they probably dont want to know. Makes you look bad when you take alot longer than a guy 15 years older than you.

I don't agree with this. Area knowledge has more advantage than age; why would him being 15 years your senior mean that you should be faster on HIS route? What does he do and do you have proof?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't agree with this. Area knowledge has more advantage than age; why would him being 15 years your senior mean that you should be faster on HIS route? What does he do and do you have proof?
Grunt, Fish does have a point to a certain degree. Based on the 'runners and gunners' theory, it should be easy for a young gun to beat the old man, if the gunner has the area knowledge that the old man does. But you are also right. Any regular driver should know their rte better and therefore have the advantage.

SWORDFISH

LOL! Wasnt looking for an arguement. I know the route as well as he does. I did his route for 2 years while he was on disability. Im not going to debate what he does or what I do. I was just agreeing w/ dillgaf. However I very much agree w/ you about area knowlede is the biggest time saver on country routes.

upsgrunt

No argument intended- I'm just saying that the regular driver probably knows what cars everybody drives, where they eat at what time, when they are visiting a relative on the other side of town, and maybe even their doctor appointment times. Sorry for my tone in my other post.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No argument intended- I'm just saying that the regular driver probably knows what cars everybody drives, where they eat at what time, when they are visiting a relative on the other side of town, and maybe even their doctor appointment times. Sorry for my tone in my other post.
It's true. The one rural rte I do regularly, I have learned a few of the shortcuts. Who's parents live where, who works where, phone numbers to so and so, etc. It can make a huge difference in the day.

SWORDFISH

Agreed. I know most of those answers to. Except the phone #s. I dont call people on route. Thats one of his super short cuts though. Saves him a good 20 miles or more depending on the stops.

brownrod

Changing zips to beat commits is a great way to get fired.

I've delivered to an area where you can deliver 2 packages to a business and one package could have a different city and zip on the address label than the other package. So it's a gray area. Which city is the address in? Neither. It's in the county between the two different cities. One city has a 1030 commit and the other has a 1200 commit. We used to be able to just put in the zip/city with the later commit. You could argue that the label with the 1030 commit city was a bad address. Either way the package is addressed it will be delivered no problem, however.

I'm not talkigna bout just changing a zip to avoid a commit. I'm talking about actually being in an area where you could argue that you are in as many as 3 different zip codes at the same time. No one knows for sure which one is absolutely correct. Put different combinations of city/zip on the package and all delivery companies will make the delivery. The diad even asks you which city you are in when you type in the the street and number.

Last edited:

brownrod

I think the drivers changing the zips AND their management team all need to be fired. They are being dishonest and cheating our customers.

People like that WE DO NOT NEED!

How is it dishonest if a business that is in the county between two cities gets one package addressed to X company 123 ABC RD, cityville 99991 with a 1200 commit. And they also get a package addressed to X company 123 ABC RD, townville 99992 with a 1030 commit. Which zip/city is correct?

Maybe the package they get with the 1030 commit city/zip is anincorrect address?
In this case many drivers in my center used to just type in the later commit city/zip because either city/zip works and is correct for this address.

Now with PAS we just go with what the commit screen says.

Another example of the gray area.

The city my center is in has a 1030 commit. However, people 15 miles out side of city limits get packages addressed to this city with the 1030 commit zip code. People in this area live about 2 miles from a very small town with an uncomitted zip code. If I send a package to them with that small town zipcode on it they will still get that delivery from UPS, fedex, USPS but then it's uncommited. Same address. Use a different zip code and they will still be serviced by all delivery companies. So are we obligated to give these people a 1030 commit just because they can use a city address and all companies will still deliver them??? gray area.

Another example are people who live in an uncommited zipcode. But use the zipcode that their post office is in. Which is kind of what's happening in the previous example. So if your post office is 20 miles away and you use that zipcode on your address... But you actually live in a small town with an uncomitted zipcode. What would you do? No one ever got diciplined for putting in the proper zipcode even if it's different than whats on the label.

My center has a huge sprawling rural area with about 200,000 people.... It gets confusing.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

200,000 people is not what I would consider "rural". The city that I live in only has 20,000 (25,000 if you count the college students) and some of the outlying villlages have less than 1,000--that is rural. If consignees are not using their correct zip codes I would do an ADC in the DIAD at delivery. This is not the situation Dilli is describing--drivers in her center are changing zip codes simply to beat the commit time.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a couple of non-commit cities in our center also. If the package comes addressed to a non-commit area, but with a nearby commit city and zip, the clerks will not AC them and they have to be delivered by the commit. Both addresses are correct.

Can be frustrating as hell. Delivering a non-commit package if it has the 'wrong' zip on it adds an hour onto the route next to mine. That in turn, adds time to my route, as I meet him, take some stops and bring his air in for the shuttle.

UPS does not charge enough for NDA. The greenest thing they could do is raise the rates for NDA significantly and lower the rates for NDA savers. Breaking trace kills me, it kills me even more when I break trace deliver an NDA, come back 2 hours later with the rest and the NDA is still sitting on the ground where I left it.

If all I had were savers, I would never have to break trace for air. That would save the company a boatload of money.

200,000 people is not what I would consider "rural". The city that I live in only has 20,000 (25,000 if you count the college students) and some of the outlying villlages have less than 1,000--that is rural. If consignees are not using their correct zip codes I would do an ADC in the DIAD at delivery. This is not the situation Dilli is describing--drivers in her center are changing zip codes simply to beat the commit time.

If I understand the scenario correctly, you are right. The regular driver isn't even ADCing the zip on the package, just changing the zip in the diad so it doesn't cue the late data. Either way, it's a good way to have the opportunity to explore employment offers from other companies.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have a couple of non-commit cities in our center also. If the package comes addressed to a non-commit area, but with a nearby commit city and zip, the clerks will not AC them and they have to be delivered by the commit. Both addresses are correct.

Can be frustrating as hell. Delivering a non-commit package if it has the 'wrong' zip on it adds an hour onto the route next to mine. That in turn, adds time to my route, as I meet him, take some stops and bring his air in for the shuttle.

UPS does not charge enough for NDA. The greenest thing they could do is raise the rates for NDA significantly and lower the rates for NDA savers. Breaking trace kills me, it kills me even more when I break trace deliver an NDA, come back 2 hours later with the rest and the NDA is still sitting on the ground where I left it.

If all I had were savers, I would never have to break trace for air. That would save the company a boatload of money.
It's frustrating as hell. Add on top of that, sig. req.'s and the resi isn't home at the time of the committed del. What a waste of time. Some of these committed deliveries are meds too.