Need Help From Package Car Drivers!

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
My husband has been a pre-loader for 12 years and finally it is his chance to drive!

He went to the week-long training.

He spent 4 days with an on-car supervisor.

He drove 1 day by himself.

On his first day out alone he had problems with the DIAD which caused him to fall behind in deliveries. The sup came and took about 60 stops off him.

My husband is very discouraged and is afraid he won't make it as a driver :crying: . It doesn't help that his first day out was over a week ago and he hasn't been asked to do a route again since.

Is this how it normally goes for a new driver?

Should he keep asking when he'll be going out again?

Any tips and tricks to help him learn the DIAD?

What was it like when you all first started driving?

Any encouragement would be appreciated! I want him to make it...and I know he can if he believes in himself as much as I do!:thumbup:

Overpaid Union Thug

My husband has been a pre-loader for 12 years and finally it is his chance to drive!

He went to the week-long training.

He spent 4 days with an on-car supervisor.

He drove 1 day by himself.

On his first day out alone he had problems with the DIAD which caused him to fall behind in deliveries. The sup came and took about 60 stops off him.

My husband is very discouraged and is afraid he won't make it as a driver :crying: . It doesn't help that his first day out was over a week ago and he hasn't been asked to do a route again since.

Is this how it normally goes for a new driver?

Should he keep asking when he'll be going out again?

Any tips and tricks to help him learn the DIAD?

What was it like when you all first started driving?

Any encouragement would be appreciated! I want him to make it...and I know he can if he believes in himself as much as I do!:thumbup:

What your husband went through is actually typical. Not everyone experiences that but many do. The week long class does very little for a new driver. There is very little DIAD practice during that time. Since you said he hasn't been out since that day I assume he is a part-time cover driver or air driver and not a full-time driver. He needs to practice with the customer counter DIADs. Most buildings open their counters right as the preload is ending. I'm sure his sups will let him stay over and practice on packages that customers drop off. He might have to do this off the clock though.

Another thing he should do is get some air driving time. It is much more relaxed (comparitively) and there is a little more time to mess with the DIAD. Saturdays air driving is the best time. This is how I was able to feel somewhat comfortable on the DIAD when I finally started more regular driving. And yes....he should keep asking when he'll be going out again.

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
Thank you for your input.
He drove air a long time ago, but not regularly since he had another part-time job to go to. And he never worked the weekends either.
He supposedly is being hired as a full-time driver so he left his other part-time job to do so. He was never under the impression that he would be a part-time driver or a cover driver.
His hours are also a big concern. If they said he was going to be a full-time driver yet they keep sticking him back as a part-time pre-loader, how are we going to make it on part-time pay?
Great suggestion about learning the DIAD!!! I'll let him know!

Overpaid Union Thug

Thank you for your input.
He drove air a long time ago, but not regularly since he had another part-time job to go to. And he never worked the weekends either.
He supposedly is being hired as a full-time driver so he left his other part-time job to do so. He was never under the impression that he would be a part-time driver or a cover driver.
His hours are also a big concern. If they said he was going to be a full-time driver yet they keep sticking him back as a part-time pre-loader, how are we going to make it on part-time pay?
Great suggestion about learning the DIAD!!! I'll let him know!

If he was hired for a full-time position then they need to have him out there. He's not going to learn unless there is some continuity in the training.

over9five

Staff member
Wow, 60 stops. That was a huge problem. The supervisor probably had to do those himself. Very difficult to distribute 60 stops halfway thru the day. And then he probably got grieved for doing it too.

The reason he hasn't delivered again is because the sup doesn't want to be put in that position again. (delivering, distributing, or getting filed on).

The question becomes, Did they give him too much work, or is he that bad? Not trying to bring you down, but they generally send a rookie out with about 5 hours worth of work and are happy to see him return..... at all! He needs to talk to the other drivers, and yes, keep telling the sup he wants to go out again.

Good luck!

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
Wow, 60 stops. That was a huge problem. The supervisor probably had to do those himself. Very difficult to distribute 60 stops halfway thru the day. And then he probably got grieved for doing it too.

The reason he hasn't delivered again is because the sup doesn't want to be put in that position again. (delivering, distributing, or getting filed on).

The question becomes, Did they give him too much work, or is he that bad? Not trying to bring you down, but they generally send a rookie out with about 5 hours worth of work and are happy to see him return..... at all! He needs to talk to the other drivers, and yes, keep telling the sup he wants to go out again.

Good luck!

He got stuck on the DIAD a few times and wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out. And he had some apartment deliveries. And businesses. He got stuck on a COD too. And he didn't want to call anyone for help because he thought that would make him look foolish (the fact that he didn't call anyone makes him look foolish, I think).
He said he was given about 120 stops and his sup took about 60 of them at about 1 in the afternoon. He probably could have eventually gotten them mostly done. I think his sup got a little antsy.
I just wish they'd put him out more so he can get the hang of it.
He is a bit technologically inept, but I have faith in him.

Again...thanks for the feedback. It's really helping!:)

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
tell him to run every stop, don't talk to any customers. Stick the diad in their face and get the hell going.........RUN Forrest RUN.

he can slow down after he makes his 30 days........

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

The first rule about fight club is, you do not talk about fight club.

I think his supervisor may have gotten slightly overzealous. 60 stops at 13:00 is a lot to pull off at a really early time. I would think he/she (sup) would've opted to to have other drivers split up and cover his pu's. Unless he was in a rural area where 60 stops would take him 6 hours to del. He should'nt be discouraged about having trouble with the board everybody does in the beginning. If he doesn't want to call the office and talk to a sup, he could get the cell number of another driver and ask questions to get out of a jam. Good Luck!

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
He got stuck on the DIAD a few times and wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out. And he had some apartment deliveries. And businesses. He got stuck on a COD too. And he didn't want to call anyone for help because he thought that would make him look foolish (the fact that he didn't call anyone makes him look foolish, I think).
He said he was given about 120 stops and his sup took about 60 of them at about 1 in the afternoon. He probably could have eventually gotten them mostly done. I think his sup got a little antsy.
I just wish they'd put him out more so he can get the hang of it.
He is a bit technologically inept, but I have faith in him.

Again...thanks for the feedback. It's really helping!:)
The contact in chicago says 40 working days in a 90 day period. Also he should be on a training route for that 40 days have him talk to the union steward. I feel bad for any new driver that has to start now this job isnt as easy as it was say even 5 years ago.

DS

Fenderbender
Tell him to ask if theres an extra diad around and he can take it home and practice,its easy once you get it down,but it takes at least a week to feel totally comfortable with it.My one piece of advice is to do it right the first time,especially with COD`s.but obviously he wont know the right way when
he encounters a problem on the road.One other thing he could
do would be to deliver the package and if he cant complete the stop,he can pre-record it and the more experienced drivers can show him how to do it when he gets back to the building.Keep the faith!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When in doubt exit out. Escape key. It will take you back to the screen where all you have is the pkg. If it wont work he has to remeber to hit the toggle which takes it from abc to numeric. That has to work, you dont want to hit void as that may void the tracking number of the pkg he is having a problem with. Prerecord works as long as it isnt a next day air. The toggle button is usually where the problem is. If he doesnt know how to prerecord, have him ask another driver next time he works, it can be a life saver. hang in there, it gets better?:crying: I dont believe I just said that.

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
You guys are all really great and encouraging...which is what I expected from fellow Teamsters/Drivers.
Thanks so much!!!!!!!
I can even begin to explain how much all of this information and encouragement helps.

browniehound

Flower,
Tell your husband to hang in there. Getting stuck on the DIAD is a common occurance especially since DIAD IV came out. I've been using the thing everyday since '05 and I still can't get the thing to do what I want to do in a hurry.

The DIAD should be the least of his worries. He should be perfecting his methods in the next 30 days. He should be allowed 30 days to prove he can do the job or not. In my first 30 days I said to myself that I was going to follow the methods and pretend that a Sup. was on-car with me everyday. When my 30 days was up, I had the center manager ride with me all day (doesn't happen anymore where I'm from) and I did nothing different than I did when I was practcing the prior 30 days. Needless to say, he was very impressed. It really is that simple. If your husband follows the methods and practices them at the end of 30 days he will be just fine.

trickpony1

another suggestion:
fix your husband a good lunch to take with him.
He can eat the sandwiches, sports drink etc. while he is in the back of the truck sorting, gathering his thoughts and planning his next deliveries. He will need the extra energy your lunch provides.

And, yes, before five people post telling what I am suggesting, I already know. Your husband may have to work through his lunch to make good numbers and succeed through the 30 days probation period. It's a common practice.
When he makes seniority he can slowly start taking his meal.
Good Luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
EVERYONE is lost the first week or so on their own. You can't learn it watching a movie or sitting in a class. You have to experience it for yourself and it will get easier in time. Just remember that until he retires he will be told day after day after day that he isn't doing good enough. My best advise is to develop a thick skin and a warped sense of humor and do everyting by the book. Chances are he will be around UPS a lot longer than any of the pt time or on car supervisors that are breathing down his neck will be. They come and go like flies and don't expect their replacments to be any better. No I'm not a bitter old retired guy. I had a great run at UPS (30 years and 27 days). I delivered to the same little town for 25 of those years and had a wonderful relationship with my customers and fellow hourly employees. I'm just telling it like it is.

Last edited:

BCFan

another suggestion:
fix your husband a good lunch to take with him.
He can eat the sandwiches, sports drink etc. while he is in the back of the truck sorting, gathering his thoughts and planning his next deliveries. He will need the extra energy your lunch provides.

And, yes, before five people post telling what I am suggesting, I already know. Your husband may have to work through his lunch to make good numbers and succeed through the 30 days probation period. It's a common practice.
When he makes seniority he can slowly start taking his meal.
Good Luck.
:thumbup1: Trick I dont think any of us ate a sit down meal the first 30 days after that tho its all good:thumbup1: BC

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I cannot see the reasoning for slamming a new driver with more dels that he can handle. We've all been there the first couple days alone and how intimidating it is with a full load and repeating the procedures of the DIAD in your head. These sups need to make it a win-win situation for everyone and not make to driver feel like a heel when he calls for help.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Alot of good info. Just tell him to keep at it, and give it his all. Yes, most of us had to bust our tales and skip lunches to make the #'s look good. I will give one word of advice that really works. If he gets flustered, simply stop and regain his composure. If he keeps trying to work while being frazzled, he'll only get worse and worse in his work. Make sure he eats, drinks his water, and whatever else he needs. Make sure he gets his business deliveries done and his pickups done before 5pm. Resi's can be done afterwards.

Luckily, I for one didn't have much to do. I made my 30 days on day 2, so rest wasn't much for me. For some who say "huh, how did that happen?". I was an accomplished driver by time I was pulled up to be a fulltime driver. Was covering routes as a utility driver (back when we weren't supposed to). When it came time to drive, there were two of us, same age, hired on same date, who came up to drive at same time. We have two centers in our building, and one had to take one, other had to take me. Problem was, they had to take the other guy first. Each center wanted me, so it was a stalemate pulling us up. The center I'm in (and one I wanted to be hired into anyways) was sneaky and pulled me up and said the other center could have other guy. I went through first day on my training route, second day I was "loaned" to the other center. I couldn't figure out why the center manager at the other center was having a fit about it. I drove the route I had first done solo. When I finished that day, I walked back to our center to turn in my timecard (remember having those big paper timecards???). My center manager and on car sup both congratulated me on making my 30 days. Then they explained about the rule about consistant route (or something like that).

Tell your hubby good luck. It's tough at first, just takes that certain groove and you're good to go. I agree with what someone said above. I'd hate to be a new driver nowadays. Was so much easier when I went through. One day training course (and if you took it to become a utility driver, didn't have to go back through it again when you went full time). Was on paper, so simply wrote 6 digit account and 3 digit ID. Learned the acrynym All Good Kids Love Milk and you were gold. LOL.