Need info about.....

H

HDM

:mellow:
Hello guys, I need to know what a BID AIR DRIVER does.
Is this a part-time position????
I assume that such driver has to deliver air-packages....:ohmy: before commitment time....but what else is there????....
What BID stands for????
Thanks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
An Air Driver is a Part-time job that is BID according to your company seniority. You might shuttle NDA from the airport to your building, deliver Early AM, Next Day and possibly Two Day Air, make On Call Air pickups, pick up air at late pickups, or deliver Saturday Air. You are not supposed to handle any ground, unless it is a Return Service package in a Letter Box. Thats at least my understanding of what an Air Driver is. It is a good way to get experience "driving the brown truck".

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
The Bid part helps protect your postion in case of layoffs. Due to UPS & FAA regulations only trained and papered drivers are allowed on the tarmac to load & unload small feeder aircraft. At least that's how it works in my center.

H

HDM

Thanks guys.
I ask because I was hired as a BID Air Driver....but I ended up preloading....and doing the airs after preloading on weekdays, and on Saturdays.
Every time I questioned about driving only the "Airs" instead of preloading their answer is the same....next month, next month, don't worry....they say that I am better off doing this combo, instead of Air Driving.
Suggestions????
:mellow:

tor1957

:confused:1 i would like to know who is supposed to deliver the early a m work regular package car drivers or the 223 drivers i have heard that 223 drivers filed a grievance for the work and lost then i heard they won anybody know

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I understand you may have been hired to be an Air driver but by working preload and then driving air you are making more money. If you are lazy or don't need the money then maybe you should question working the preload. Do you realize that there are hundreds of people who would be more than happy to replace you!

Megansman

If you want to eventually drive, you are in the catbird's seat -- you're learning how to drive safely, how to work the diad, you're gaining area knowledge... and if you play your cards right, this summer when your center is short on drivers you'll get ground stops and make the bucks... but don't buy the boat on that, it isn't steady... I made more money my last year as a combo than I did my first year driving.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
:confused:1 i would like to know who is supposed to deliver the early a m work regular package car drivers or the 223 drivers i have heard that 223 drivers filed a grievance for the work and lost then i heard they won anybody know

Where I am at, the Full-time Package Drivers deliver Early AM, I am one of them. I start at 6:30 AM when the Shuttle Driver gets in, and do EAM till the 8AM commit time. I start my regular route at 8:40, or earlier if the Preload goes down. I am off the clock at 5 PM, thats when I hit 9.5. Most of our EAM drivers were Swingdrivers, so we have lots of area knowledge. We have no 22.3 Combo Drivers, although sometimes we pull a Preloader or two if the EAM stops are heavy. The most coveted Package Driver position is the Shuttle Driver. He starts at 5:30, gets 55-60 hours a week, almost makes as much as a Feeder Driver. He is the highest seniority Package Driver, he has an easy DR route like I do.

tor1957

i am a driver where iam drivers were delivering the earley am then the company took it away and now 223 drivers are getting the work i filed a grievance for the work to be bid now our business agent wont let my grievance go forward whats up with this whats my next step

H

HDM

Thanks guys.
:ohmy:
Note: mattwtrs, you mentioned that I am getting more $ by doing this combo-job (preload+air driving)....how do you figure that one????....Excuse my ignorance....pls.
I was just thinking that Pay rate of Air drivers are a bit higher.
Tks.