Need some help...being forced onto new route.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
As a cover driver you do not get to choose what route you want to run on a daily basis, unless you bid on a route on which the driver is on vacation.

If I was your center manager I would not force anyone to take the route, I would leave it open and it would give me more options on the dispatch.

Just do a crappy job when they push you on that route. That will change their mind. Crappy numbers =Equals a different driver. Just like when they call certain drivers and say do you want the day off? Its never the scratch or Under drivers...Its the guys who are always a buck and a half over who get the CALL!!!!! Go figure...just saying thas all. Im just a stupid driver who needs a computer to tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

QKRSTKR

also, there are many central region buildings that routes are bid until you bid off them. Plus, you cannot bid on another route within 12 months of signing a bid. I cannot believe that the OPs shop steward has not taking the center manager out back for a few slaps. This is a no-brainer.

I am also the top unassigned driver in my building. I have passed on 3 route bids so far. As the top cover guy, I can choose which routes I want to run, much better than taking a crap route, just to have a route.
That's not true. Pkg drivers are allowed 3 bids a year in central states.

Dragon hit it on the head. That's what most center manager s I seen would do. We did have one however that was assigned to lowest guy at time.

My center manager arguement is what happens if other laid off drivers want to bump into the route assigned to low senior driver. Not sure how the 90% rule applies to this. On a side note this route is the first one that is cut and is only in on mondays during peak season. This time of year it is rarely in on fridays too.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As a cover driver you do not get to choose what route you want to run on a daily basis, unless you bid on a route on which the driver is on vacation.

If I was your center manager I would not force anyone to take the route, I would leave it open and it would give me more options on the dispatch.

If its in enough to be a bid route u can't do that. Must be assigned to someone.

Nice try though.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
My center manager arguement is what happens if other laid off drivers want to bump into the route assigned to low senior driver. Not sure how the 90% rule applies to this. On a side note this route is the first one that is cut and is only in on mondays during peak season. This time of year it is rarely in on fridays too.

then lowest guy gets bumped they do not get to pick a route?? Guess which one they get to work?

In my local the lowest senior driver that is working (vacations,call ins and layoffs) has too do it. Also the route has too be in three days a week for three months straight or it can't be bid.

Brownslave688

In my local the lowest senior driver that is working (vacations,call ins and layoffs) has too do it. Also the route has too be in three days a week for three months straight or it can't be bid.

Actually I believe the contract reads. 30 days in a 90 day period. Some locals could be different I'm not sure.

Brownslave688

Then they bump the route it's not rocket science. Considering no one bid the route I'd say that's unlikely.

If the route isn't in 5 days a week I dot understand how the 90% rule even comes into play.

We just had this happen at our center. Driver bid on a route. No one bid on his route. Low man got forced to take the route. It's simple really. There's a reason the no one wants these routes. They suck so why would anyone force their way onto it.

upnorth

Iit seems like theres some people who take a good thing for granted, or they feel they deserve elevation because they have senority and at the same time the first ones at the water cooler to bitch---yet here I just want to work. You think people like me are a disgrace towards the union but actually its people like me who push the limit everyday that allow the union to be strong. And PROUD! Hard to call myself s brother of a half-assed, looking for a way out of hard work, worker. Good luck to you. It actually is because of people like you that we have unions. Kind of ironic.

Iit seems like theres some people who take a good thing for granted, or they feel they deserve elevation because they have senority and at the same time the first ones at the water cooler to bitch---yet here I just want to work. You think people like me are a disgrace towards the union but actually its people like me who push the limit everyday that allow the union to be strong. And PROUD! Hard to call myself s brother of a half-assed, looking for a way out of hard work, worker. Good luck to you. It actually is because of people like you that we have unions. Kind of ironic.
Wait...your center has a water cooler...that's great

upnorth

Exactly my point. Does it really matter who or where you deliver to? Run the route, clock out and bring a water bottle tomorrow. UPS is there to make money, not to make us happy.

Exactly my point. Does it really matter who or where you deliver to? Run the route, clock out and bring a water bottle tomorrow. UPS is there to make money, not to make us happy.
So you think ups should be able to make their empleeys move too job too job and working less efficient instead of bing able to bid and stay on a job and be able too work more efficient.

UPSGUY72

First off I'm in the central region. In my center a driver bid off his route and nobody signed the bid sheet so my manager is telling me, the highest seniority coverage driver, that I am being assigned the route. This route is often cut and when it is in has pick ups that would keep me out working til about 7:30. Also they are not biding the route by the same route number. The route number they are giving it is that of a route that was cut and left unbid a few years ago. Any help with how I need to go about fighting this would be great. I have already talked to my local union rep who is starting to look into it. Any documentation on this policy would be great. Thanks

Don't you have a copy of your contract ???? I would think a 12 year UPS employee would have a copy of there contract that they could look it over if a problem like this arose.

Don't forget you have a shop Steward that can answer these question also.

IS he telling you that the route is yours or that your going to be covering it ?

In my Area if nobody signs the bid sheet the route either gets left open or goes to the lowest seniority driver without a bid route.

You center manager or SUP will tell you anything to get you to agree on what they are doing. What you need to be is contract smarter than them that means you have to have a copy of the contract and read it...... You should have gotten a brand new one 4 and 1/2 years ago.

UPSGUY72

Your either misinformed or a idiot. Either way you should shut your front door.....

I do have a copy of our contract but there is no clear verbiage on this matter. So of course my center manager is hoping we just go with what he decides. And that is not ok with me or my local rep. We are planning on filing in the morning.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So a cover driver can choose what routes he covers? He doesn't just have to accept whatever route he is asked to do? What's the flip side? (And I thought the bid from top, force from bottom was about working, i.e. on a holiday when we normally don't work, not on where we work if we were going to work anyway).

Learning something new...maybe I don't have to be so worried after all in becoming a cover driver (worried about being forced onto ugly routes with small streets and cars of those who cannot park in entirely non-DR areas). This is why i come here....