Needing honest advice on pt sup position

Corckie

In the Kansas City metro area. It's an act of God for Pt sup. to make it into full time management. Much easier to move from driver to management. I've been with UPS for over 30 years. I have only seen 1 part-time supervisor make it to full time. I have seen many awesome pt sups give up and leave. They USE UP part-timers and throw them away!!! Twenty years ago when I finished school they asked me to go to management but.... I was already a driver. I turned then down, still a driver and much happier. Several of us drivers have our degrees. Go full time driver first. Before management!

CitizenTruth

Hi all, I've read and heard different things from different people saying PT Sup is dead-end. Or there's potential for advancement if youre good at it. I work in a relatively small center on the local sort as a package handler. Im currently trained on internationals, small sort, air, customer counter, and ive done some picking off here and there. Ive been working at UPS since I was a senior in high school and its been about a year and a half since i started. Id say I have a good relationship with my center manager and anybody i work with in general. My original plan was to go into driving since that's where most people would like to be here. Here in a day or so we've got a PT Sup position opening up and im seriously considering taking advantage of it. Itd be a decent pay increase from what I make now as a kid fresh out of high school. I see people working full-time in factories making what i could make as a pt sup at just 27.5 a week and that makes the deal tempting. Id take advantage of the tuition assistance and try for an associates degree at minimum. But i just wouldnt want PT sup to be the end of the road for me, we've in the last few years had two former PT sups get promoted to driver, so if i could kill some time in this role until im 21 years of age and could make an attempt at a drivers spot that'd be nice in my opinion. Hell to possibly persue a spot in full time management would be okay too. Id like to make a career out of it either way. But to make that transition to driver eventually would be my first choice. I do see myself staying at UPS for the long haul. Is there any genuine, honest advice any of you guys could give me? Anything is appreciated.

Hi all, I've read and heard different things from different people saying PT Sup is dead-end. Or there's potential for advancement if youre good at it. I work in a relatively small center on the local sort as a package handler. Im currently trained on internationals, small sort, air, customer counter, and ive done some picking off here and there. Ive been working at UPS since I was a senior in high school and its been about a year and a half since i started. Id say I have a good relationship with my center manager and anybody i work with in general. My original plan was to go into driving since that's where most people would like to be here. Here in a day or so we've got a PT Sup position opening up and im seriously considering taking advantage of it. Itd be a decent pay increase from what I make now as a kid fresh out of high school. I see people working full-time in factories making what i could make as a pt sup at just 27.5 a week and that makes the deal tempting. Id take advantage of the tuition assistance and try for an associates degree at minimum. But i just wouldnt want PT sup to be the end of the road for me, we've in the last few years had two former PT sups get promoted to driver, so if i could kill some time in this role until im 21 years of age and could make an attempt at a drivers spot that'd be nice in my opinion. Hell to possibly persue a spot in full time management would be okay too. Id like to make a career out of it either way. But to make that transition to driver eventually would be my first choice. I do see myself staying at UPS for the long haul. Is there any genuine, honest advice any of you guys could give me? Anything is appreciated.

CitizenTruth

Here is the one thing that may change your mind, whatever time you have in the union, you will lose if you go from mgmt to driver, they will never tell you that but it's fact, if you have 2 years in then go into mgmt for any amount of time back to driver you will have bottom seniority hope that helps

Here is the one thing that may change your mind, whatever time you have in the union, you will lose if you go from mgmt to driver, they will never tell you that but it's fact, if you have 2 years in then go into mgmt for any amount of time back to driver you will have bottom seniority hope that helps
What are you talking about? Your driving seniority starts the day you go driving.

CitizenTruth

What are you talking about? Your driving seniority starts the day you go driving.
Not if you go union to mgmt back to union it starts over what don't you understand? If he has 2 yrs pt then goes driving he keeps those 2 years.
If he goes into mgmt then drives his seniority is from day 1 of driving

UnconTROLLed

perfection
depends on what you would study

if it’s some :censored2:ty liberal arts garbage, go ahead and stay an hourly and go into driving instead
I can assure you the "sh garbage degrees" (nice redundancy, btw) are not liberal arts, but those generic dime-a-dozen, business management degrees, which require zero critical thinking or in general, talent.

Not if you go union to mgmt back to union it starts over what don't you understand? If he has 2 yrs pt then goes driving he keeps those 2 years.
If he goes into mgmt then drives his seniority is from day 1 of driving
Seniority for what? Once you go driving you are then in the driving pool seniority. What exactly is lost?

Dritalin

I made a spreadsheet for this type of situation. From a purely financial standpoint UPS management does not work out. If you are smart and compare the total benefit packages that the full time union guys are getting it smokes full time managers for all but the lucky few that rise to a high enough level.

Part time supervisor looks good on a resume for someone in their early twenties and that's about it. If you are planning on going to college you are probably better off staying hourly and focusing on good grades than any benefit you'll see from having PT Manager in your job history.

Make a copy of that doc and you can edit it, if you can't figure out how to do that then your answer is to stay hourly.

Thegameisrigged

Honest opinion...DONT DO IT.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Here pt union and management are from the company. I have 8 and get 550 a month from pension. 2 yrs pt union, 6 mgmt. You lose nothing unless not vested, I believe that is 5 yrs

Here pt union and management are from the company. I have 8 and get 550 a month from pension. 2 yrs pt union, 6 mgmt. You lose nothing unless not vested, I believe that is 5 yrs
But don’t you have to wait until 65 for mgmt pension?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe you get 1.5 yrs credit for pt mgmt. That would add up with mine. 6 yrs pt sup would be 9 yrs, and 2 yrs pt would be 11 yrs/2=550. I didnt care what it came out to LOL I was going.

I believe you get 1.5 yrs credit for pt mgmt. That would add up with mine. 6 yrs pt sup would be 9 yrs, and 2 yrs pt would be 11 yrs/2=550. I didnt care what it came out to LOL I was going.
Your mgmt and pt union pension were combined?