Needing some info

BadMojo

This first part is to provide a little background.
I've been a Ground driver for going on 5 years. I was laid off after 3 years because I had my wife riding with me which I had permission from my contractor and the terminal management to do so. I was accused of violating a commercial vehicle regulation but it did not cover my van weight class so it did not apply to me. With pressure on my contractor, Fedex forced him to let me go over it but no disqualification. I worked elsewhere for a year then was contacted by my previous contractor and offered my job back because I had not been disqualified and in the year I was gone, they had 11 drivers try to run my route without any success.
I've returned to Ground and it's been almost 2 years now. This past week, I was on route and ran into the UPS driver. We were just talking about our day and how spread and heavy we both were. We realized we could save each other some major time and miles if we swapped a cpl of our stops. He would take one of mine that I didn't have anything else near and save an hour round trip and I would take a cpl of his in the opposite direction. Basically we were indirect delivering these cpl of stops and no big deal because we know and trust each other.
I scanned my package that he took as delivered to front door and went my way. It was several hours before he made the delivery and in the mean time the customer tracked the package and could not find it since it had not gotten there yet. Customer called Fedex, UPS driver finally made delivery and the customer was happy and had no issues with what we had done. Fedex called customer back to see if they had found the package, customers wife informed them, Yes but the UPS guy had delivered it.
Fedex, called UPS to track their driver and found he had been there even though he did not have a delivery at that actual location but one close to it. The UPS supervisor said it was no big deal and did not violate any of their actual rules but Fedex is talking about disqualifying me over it.
Technically, it may have been wrong but I have NEVER been given any list of rules, policies or even been told this could not be done. I've looked for handbooks and rule books online and read many rules but nothing that covers this situation. my contractor is fine with it but said don't do it again which is fine by me but what about Fedex?
Should a driver be disqualified for such a thing that has only been a one time thing and no rules, nothing in any contract and nothing ever discussed.
I deliver packages all the time (as do most drivers) to people at their work for family members or even their neighbors and there has never been an issue having someone bring a package to a customer like this. The only thing I didn't do was actually indirect it on my scanner, I failed there but that alone is not a disqualifying event.
Any suggestions or can anyone direct me to contract driver rules? It's sad drivers have to guess what the rules are other than the basic common sense ones or safety issues. I know Texas is a right to work blah blah, they can fire at will blah blah but I work for a contractor and not fedex and the ONLY thing I've ever been told about delivering packages in any other way than by myself was never do it in my personal vehicle.

My apologies to all for this being so long and sloppy but just wanting some clarification and direction to some rules for handling this and future use.

Thanks

This first part is to provide a little background.
I've been a Ground driver for going on 5 years. I was laid off after 3 years because I had my wife riding with me which I had permission from my contractor and the terminal management to do so. I was accused of violating a commercial vehicle regulation but it did not cover my van weight class so it did not apply to me. With pressure on my contractor, Fedex forced him to let me go over it but no disqualification. I worked elsewhere for a year then was contacted by my previous contractor and offered my job back because I had not been disqualified and in the year I was gone, they had 11 drivers try to run my route without any success.
I've returned to Ground and it's been almost 2 years now. This past week, I was on route and ran into the UPS driver. We were just talking about our day and how spread and heavy we both were. We realized we could save each other some major time and miles if we swapped a cpl of our stops. He would take one of mine that I didn't have anything else near and save an hour round trip and I would take a cpl of his in the opposite direction. Basically we were indirect delivering these cpl of stops and no big deal because we know and trust each other.
I scanned my package that he took as delivered to front door and went my way. It was several hours before he made the delivery and in the mean time the customer tracked the package and could not find it since it had not gotten there yet. Customer called Fedex, UPS driver finally made delivery and the customer was happy and had no issues with what we had done. Fedex called customer back to see if they had found the package, customers wife informed them, Yes but the UPS guy had delivered it.
Fedex, called UPS to track their driver and found he had been there even though he did not have a delivery at that actual location but one close to it. The UPS supervisor said it was no big deal and did not violate any of their actual rules but Fedex is talking about disqualifying me over it.
Technically, it may have been wrong but I have NEVER been given any list of rules, policies or even been told this could not be done. I've looked for handbooks and rule books online and read many rules but nothing that covers this situation. my contractor is fine with it but said don't do it again which is fine by me but what about Fedex?
Should a driver be disqualified for such a thing that has only been a one time thing and no rules, nothing in any contract and nothing ever discussed.
I deliver packages all the time (as do most drivers) to people at their work for family members or even their neighbors and there has never been an issue having someone bring a package to a customer like this. The only thing I didn't do was actually indirect it on my scanner, I failed there but that alone is not a disqualifying event.
Any suggestions or can anyone direct me to contract driver rules? It's sad drivers have to guess what the rules are other than the basic common sense ones or safety issues. I know Texas is a right to work blah blah, they can fire at will blah blah but I work for a contractor and not fedex and the ONLY thing I've ever been told about delivering packages in any other way than by myself was never do it in my personal vehicle.

My apologies to all for this being so long and sloppy but just wanting some clarification and direction to some rules for handling this and future use.

Thanks
jzWErKneiZBWE.gif

STFXG

You falsified by entering it as driver release to front door. You should have indirected it to the UPS driver and had him sign for it. That would’ve at least given you an out. You probably would have just been told not to do it again. The contract also states that you cannot provide service to anyone else while operating for FedEx. Hauling UPS packages is a breach of contract. Again, probably just told not to do it anymore. The falsification is where they have you.

Does management have problems with your contractor? I know I wouldn’t have a driver DQ’d over something this minor.

“Pressure to fire you”? That usually means the contractor is having problems and is trying to get FedEx off his back. If you weren’t DQ’d he had no reason to lay you off.

Having a passenger in the van is terms for disqualification. Feel lucky you weren’t DQ’d over that in the first place. You should’ve been. Having a van under 10k doesn’t matter. Every vehicle is treated as a commercial vehicle for everything other than DOT hours in the contract.

Oldfart

You need to do 2 things.

Take the job at UPS.

Learn to use some common sense because your logic makes no sense.

I always say if a person has to ask himself if something he is about to do is ok, it probably ISN'T

Last edited:

bacha29

If the job offer from UPS is legitimate by all means take it if for no other reason than the huge wage and benefit package. The contractor failed you by not providing you with a printed set of rules and policy guidelines to go by. It would appear that this individual along with the company itself are among many in that organization who wrongly believe that there's plenty more where you come from willing and able to do the job and that will be it's downfall.