Negative Rehire (bad experience).

Dav2091

I've been looking for work ever since I was let go I did find a job elsewhere but I don't like it because they pay me under the table. I was just asking you guys for some advice on my situation.

HardknocksUPSer

I've been looking for work ever since I was let go I did find a job elsewhere but I don't like it because they pay me under the table. I was just asking you guys for some advice on my situation.
Best bet is to hope that they call you and ask you if you would like to be a driver helper which is pretty likely as they get desperate for bodies in peak, do a goood job and work hard as a helper, maybe then your driver will put in a good word for you, that usually doesn't mean you'll get a job but it can't hurt, when you go back to the center/hub to turn in your uniform, talk to the center manager and let him/her know that you would love to work as a PT'er and ask if there is anything they can do to get you off of the rehire list, hope and pray they hear you out and talk HR into taking you off the rehire list, it may be worth a shot to talk to HR at the center/Hub yourself, worst they can say is no and your back to square one. Goodluck that's the best case scenario.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Best bet is to hope that they call you and ask you if you would like to be a driver helper which is pretty likely as they get desperate for bodies in peak, do a goood job and work hard as a helper, maybe then your driver will put in a good word for you, that usually doesn't mean you'll get a job but it can't hurt, when you go back to the center/hub to turn in your uniform, talk to the center manager and let him/her know that you would love to work as a PT'er and ask if there is anything they can do to get you off of the rehire list, hope and pray they hear you out and talk HR into taking you off the rehire list, it may be worth a shot to talk to HR at the center/Hub yourself, worst they can say is no and your back to square one. Goodluck that's the best case scenario.
Once you are placed on no-rehire it goes for all hourly positions. He wouldn't even be able to be a helper.

J

jibbs

I'm assuming you're trying to figure out if you can come off no rehire?

When workers are layed off as the OP claims, they can be put on a no-rehire list?

I was always under the impression (probably falsely) that being laid off was not the same as being fired/terminated.

I mean, they never even fired the guy from what it sounds like. Just told him to get the boots and call when he had them, and they decide daily he's not needed.

If he weren't technically employed (he did claim to work a day, after all) and also on the no-rehire list, why wouldn't they just tell him that and be done with it?

I may be misunderstanding all this as I jumped the gun again and replied after the first page, though. I gotta stop doing that.

upschuck

Depending on how long it took to get proper footwear(op implied some time passed), either fired for no call, no show, or calling in too much.

J

jibbs

Depending on how long it took to get proper footwear(op implied some time passed), either fired for no call, no show, or calling in too much.

Right, I get that much because it's what typically happens, but it seemed like they put him on an on-call status and he kept calling in and being denied work.

I guess my real question is, that's grounds for termination? The fact that they hired a person and kept him on but denied him the opportunity to work, which eventually led to being laid off (or whatever it was that the person he said he spoke with told him?)

:censored2:in' UPS.... it's :censored2:ed to me but it's right up their alley, I guess... I suppose the time it took to get the boots played a factor, but I just assumed from the writing that he had them within a week or two of being directed to buy some.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jibbs

:censored2:ty if that's how it went down.

You'd think they'd be so hurt for bodies (my center is, at least; found out today 9 brand new hires have quit in the past two weeks) they'd jump at the chance to bring him in [EDIT: now that he's got his boots. Turnover rate being what it is I'd think it's always worth a shot bringing someone back that's been in for a day and still wants to keep at it.]