Negative rehire

barnyard

KTM rider
This year, my helper worked well when she showed up. She missed one day, then pretty much all of last week, "I have to be done early." Worked less than 3 hours a day. My heaviest day of peak, she worked less than 3, I worked almost 12.

Sent a message Christmas Eve, "Take the day off." She responded, "Oh good, I cannot work today."
Called my boss and said that she should have a negative rehire. 1st time I ever did that with a helper.

bbsam

Staff member
This year, my helper worked well when she showed up. She missed one day, then pretty much all of last week, "I have to be done early." Worked less than 3 hours a day. My heaviest day of peak, she worked less than 3, I worked almost 12.

Sent a message Christmas Eve, "Take the day off." She responded, "Oh good, I cannot work today."
Called my boss and said that she should have a negative rehire. 1st time I ever did that with a helper.
Sounds to me like she did it to herself.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I initially thought this was a joke thread because it seems being employed in the past for any amount of time, for any level of skill and work ethic, gives you a negative rehire status.

Your sup probably wont change anything, probably no-hire by default. They are banking on hiring gullible idiots, not union thugs lol.

barnyard

KTM rider
Your sup probably wont change anything, probably no-hire by default.

Pretty sure that helpers in my building are auto-rehire by default. We have quite a few helpers that this is their 3rd or 4th season. I have always asked my helper if they wanted a perm PT gig and if they wanted to come back next year. I have had several helpers for 2-3 years and several helpers that helped me and then come on the next year, but helped another driver.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Pretty sure that helpers in my building are auto-rehire by default. We have quite a few helpers that this is their 3rd or 4th season. I have always asked my helper if they wanted a perm PT gig and if they wanted to come back next year. I have had several helpers for 2-3 years and several helpers that helped me and then come on the next year, but helped another driver.
I'm just spitting in the wind here but it seems more like they re-hire people with a no-hire status. If they are desperate to fill some crappy entry-level position, that "status" very likely is an afterthought.
Maybe you would have better luck contacting your HR rep and talking smack about your helper to them. They could probably do more create a physical file to permanently bar this employee from being hired again.

gocubs63

The hr reps in my hub made it sound like a negative rehire status was a game ender for any possible employment within ups after that season.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

My helper was almost 60 years old. He was by no means fast but the man was there early every single day. Never once asked when we’d be done and left his phone in the cargo area even though he was actively looking for a full time job and getting dozens of calls per day.

I told him how much I appreciated his being there every day on Monday. He said well that’s simply how I was brought up.

DowntownTillman

Disco gypsy
It's a sad thing when doing the least amount of effort (showing up everyday) is the most amazing thing the hiree does! Let's see how it looks when they put 110% in. I'm not into half stepping.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
70D95C85-C400-48DB-907C-5BC3137D14E0.gif
It's a sad thing when doing the least amount of effort (showing up everyday) is the most amazing thing the hiree does! Let's see how it looks when they put 110% in. I'm not into half stepping.

That’s the attitude

Indecisi0n

All this shows is that you still care . She screwed you and you said to yourself "I'll show her" .Sad part is next year if they need people and this chick calls up they will take her in a second because UPS doesn't care .

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I pushed and got my golf cart helper fired last Friday. I went out of my way to get to the pod and start all three of my helpers by 11:30. Since my golf cart helper was on a paper timecard, I told her to start at 11:00 so she could start sorting and loading her route that a shuttle driver had already dropped off. She had constant problems showing up on time, she showed up after three o'clock several times and even came in at five once. Instead of doing 15 stops an hour she was doing about five or six. This meant that I wound up running at least half of her route everyday. Me and my helper would finish our work and be on overtime finishing what she couldn't do everyday. She was constantly calling the office with excuses and having problems working her phone. I caught her one night delivering out of her van with her kids. Finally my center manager starting looking at what was happening and canned her. Where I am at, if somebody gets a negative rehire status then only the supervisor that determined that can change that. HR cannot overrule that.