new 1 for 4000 goal for missorts!!

brownIEman

If we could hold management to this same standard...you might be on to something.

Blow the dispatch and keep your drivers out for 12 hrs after eliminating a route? Gone.

Get caught doing bargaining unit work? Gone.

Excessive injury rate, or ongoing 9.5 grievances? Gone.

Lousy timestudies that are consistently an hour or two behind reality? Gone.

I guess "high expectations" are fine.... as long as they are only being put on other people.

nope, high expectations are good for everyone.

I have no objections to your points (with the exception of doing bargaining unit work as that does not adversely effect service to our customers). And, actually, management can be, and have been, removed from their positions for what you mentioned.

tieguy

Banned
Yea I liked what you were saying IE, till you got to the part about your gone after a couple misloads. When i used to load I remember fondly going anywhere from 1/8000 to 1/10,000 in a week then the next week or two down the road Id have like 3 misloads. Sure enough they would try to hit me with a warning letter or a 1 day suspension. Course the steward would always say no way but if it werdnt for the union how many actual decent employees would be canned because mgmt couldnt handle a few misloads here and there. Gimme a break.

steward told them no way? I didn't know stewards had to approve or disapprove warning letters? How many did your steward approve?:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Look, maybe I was a little hard on brownIEman.
He's obviously very passionate about his business.
Why wouldn't he be?
He has alot to lose.
He has alot invested.
These part timers don't.
This is what's missing.
When I started as a young man in the 80's at $8/hr it was good money.
Better than 2 1/2 times the minimum wage of the day.
Young, strong, smart college kids fought to get and keep these jobs.
There was no need for a management person with a title, that contained the word retension, like there is today.
Take a look around now and what do you see?
I know what I see, a revolving door.
Pride doesn't pay the bills and accolades aren't what these people are looking for.
Make these jobs more lucrative like they were long ago and people will achieve goals and stick around for more than a couple of months.
They may even fear losing their job, the ultimate motivator.

I don't think it had anything to do with being hard on IE man. I don't agree with your argument that the loader would do a better job if he was paid more. He still took the job because he needed it. Many of your part timers are at ups busting their rears in trailers because they did not have any other options. So the guys we get we teach how to work. The guy going to MIT is still not going to load trailers just because we now pay him 15 an hour. When I started part timers started at 12 bucks an hour. They still threw plenty of misloads.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
[QUOTE=Bubblehead;674527]
Make these jobs more lucrative like they were long ago and people will achieve goals and stick around for more than a couple of months.
They may even fear losing their job, the ultimate motivator.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it had anything to do with being hard on IE man. I don't agree with your argument that the loader would do a better job if he was paid more. He still took the job because he needed it. Many of your part timers are at ups busting their rears in trailers because they did not have any other options. So the guys we get we teach how to work. The guy going to MIT is still not going to load trailers just because we now pay him 15 an hour. When I started part timers started at 12 bucks an hour. They still threw plenty of misloads.

I reposted, in red, my final sentences that was my underlying thoughts which you may have missed.
Obviously the MIT and Harvard student body isn't a target demographic.
The kid going to the local community college living at home who's parents can't afford to send him on a free ride to a top tier school is for instance.
If we offer them something they can't get at a fast food restraunt, maybe they would value the job and protect it by doing what is asked of them.
Obviously to me, at present, they just don't care.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I disagree with your premise that you cannot take pride in your work making 8.50 or less an hour. Some of the work I am most proud of in my life, I did not get paid a dime for.
Was this prideful work of yours tedious and redundant and did you do it day after week after month after year?
Did you ever consider that your attitude is possibly exceptional?
By definition unlike the majority?
But set that aside. For the sake of argument, lets say I agree we pay starting preloaders way too little and cannot ask them to strive to do a good job.

The real problem I have with that hypothosis, is that it runs counter to what I see on a daily basis. In my preload operations, by and large the newer folks (no one with less than a year) are more likely to actually take pride in their work and try to do a good job. It is the ones who have been around for years, decades in some cases, and are making better than $20/hour that are more likely to be slugs who don't care about making good service or improving their work performance.
No problem with my hypothesis. The part time employees I'm targeting are college kids. Employees not looking to make a career of a part time job. A quality paying part time job to get them through school. They graduate and then move on. I think the fact that a person would stick around for twenty years in a part time capacity, foregoing a full time opportunity, in most cases speaks volumes in itself. Not all cases, so everybody relax.

For the record, I like to think that I'm "exceptional" as well.:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have spoken several times here about my belief that there should be a two-tiered pay scale for PT employees, one for employees w/benefits and the other for those without.

This is a very plausible solution.
It would be interesting to see what kind of price tag the benefits would fetch.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
I agree with TieGuy. 1/4000 is attainable in a hub. I will not lie, it is a slightly high expectation when you take into consideration all of the MSD packages that have not been made smart. You have handwritten addresses on a package and sometimes the K labels or 1Z numbers don't always match up just right. That is why a lot of hubs have incorporated ADC (automated data correction). However... I do not think that this should stop you from reaching that goal. You might have 500 packages that need to be made smart from any given sort. Out of those 500 only so many actually need corrected. Now the chance of you actually getting one of those screwed up packages is not high or likely. My suggestion to you is to get a check chart for the loads of your PD belt and memorize them through and through. Don't load any packages that go to a neighboring center or hub into a load unless your supervisor has verified that it can go in there by checking the sort plan for the packages orgin and destination. If the sort plan doesn't match up SEAS will record it as a misload. I provided you with extensive information because 1/4000 is both attainable but yet challenging. You need to know your stuff.

herbigharo32

I try to get out of having to scan whenever possible by offering to help in unload. This way, by the time I get sent back to my area, someone else has the scanner. I simply do not want the liability of scanning. Trailers are poorly lit, packages are sent down enmasse, hand written addresses/hard to read lables.....

tieguy

Banned
If your in a decent sized hub...1 for 4,000 is cake

LOL, funny isn't it. I got bubble speaking on money motivates results and sober with his long winded hate the company rants and yo and behold some guys that actually do the job say why yes we can do it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
LOL, funny isn't it. I got bubble speaking on money motivates results and sober with his long winded hate the company rants and yo and behold some guys that actually do the job say why yes we can do it.
What's funny is managements "selective hearing". It can't be anything that management is doing or not doing, just insulant hourlies. Neither myself nor Sober said it couldn't be done, rather listed some mitigating factors. What a burden your life of omnipotence must be.

Last edited: