New branding!

vantexan

If they changed express to contractors (essentially mass firing the entire workforce) would they have not have to pay every displaced employee severance?
As of now when an employee is let go his severance is accrued vacation owed to him. I think it's possible for contractors to handle deliveries but am pretty certain the FAA will never allow anyone but regular employees to pickup pkgs and get them loaded all the way to the aircraft. That could be done with a smaller part-time workforce. FedEx would lose a lot of fulltimers if they initially cut their hours way down. These guys saying contractors will do it all aren't familiar with airfreight regs.

bbsam

Staff member
As of now when an employee is let go his severance is accrued vacation owed to him. I think it's possible for contractors to handle deliveries but am pretty certain the FAA will never allow anyone but regular employees to pickup pkgs and get them loaded all the way to the aircraft. That could be done with a smaller part-time workforce. FedEx would lose a lot of fulltimers if they initially cut their hours way down. These guys saying contractors will do it all aren't familiar with airfreight regs.
We are familiar with Fred finding the cheap way.

It will be fine

What about kinkos? They accept express packages and then express employees pick them up. Wouldn't similar rules apply? Ground could pick up from shippers, express picks up from Ground and loads their planes.

bacha29

Because express drivers are a valued asset that the company cares about? No Union to protect your jobs means they can outsource them. They don't have to layoff everyone, just divert substantial volume and allow attrition to whittle down the remaining workforce.
In the future Fedex will be something along the lines of a freight forwarding/ regulatory compliance company while the contractors role will be that of an overseer with the task of getting freight from point A to point B and is done according to the regs and answers to X IWBF is correct.Express in it's current form will will reinvent itself over a period of years . Time is on it's side.

RedAngel

What about kinkos? They accept express packages and then express employees pick them up. Wouldn't similar rules apply? Ground could pick up from shippers, express picks up from Ground and loads their planes.
FedEx Office will be broken into two brands the FXO will be kept the same,the new FedEx Sameday will have its own OpCo under the reorganized FedEx Services.
The FXO will keep the same beacon logo as well.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I see all the Express Saver or 3 Day going to Ground via truck to existing Ground terminals, all the P1, P2 and 2 Day to existing Airport locations delivered by Express couriers who are only part time workers.

bacha29

Let's have little poll. How long will it take for Xpress in it's current form to reinvent itself in some other completely different form or be phased out of the market altogether?. My guess is that it will take no more than 10 years possibly as little as 5 years. What do you guys think?

MAKAVELI

They aren't fedex express employees. They work for a different company just like my drivers.
They work for FedEx they don't work for Joe Blow contractor. Besides FedEx office employees are not picking up packages they're merely accepting them he picked up by couriers later and then loaded onto trucks and planes by FedEx Express employees.

Gone fishin

I see all the Express Saver or 3 Day going to Ground via truck to existing Ground terminals, all the P1, P2 and 2 Day to existing Airport locations delivered by Express couriers who are only part time workers.
They can't mess with the express side. It is their bread and butter in revenue. As you can see with the turn over problem their trying to remedy.
People won't stay and they won't work 4 hrs
The express side relies on service and they will fail miserably with new drivers week to week.
That being said ,I better climb this raise latter pretty quick