new cap on bonus?

upsgrunt

Hey, my steward mentioned today that the new talk in our supplement (710), which has not passed yet, is that there will be a cap on bonus. No driver will be paid more than 1 hour of bonus, no matter how much they can shave off the route. I kind of like this idea to put the brakes on the gunners and just wondered if anyone else had heard any rumors like this.

This is the first I have heard of production bonuses even being mentioned in any agreement. Our supplement makes no mention that I know of, but will look again.
If you expect that a cap will slow down the gunners, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
God forbid anyone be allowed to work hard and fast and make a little extra. No wonder this country is going down the tubes. Three cheers for the lazy man!!

mikestrek

God forbid anyone be allowed to work hard and fast and make a little extra. No wonder this country is going down the tubes. Three cheers for the lazy man!!
Oh my god! We all know "BONUS" is a scam created only to get free hourly labor, just to pay a lesser paycheck to hard working UPSers. We are all under extreme pressure at UPS. Both Hourly and Managment. I assume you work for UPS. The vast majority of Package Drivers are not "Lazy". All we want is a fair days work and to go home to our families. Just pay us per hour and don't run us so hard that we injure ourselves or cause an accident. I take it your in management or are bucking for management. I know most of the SUP's here in California couldn't handle the day to day grind of moving packages as an hourly. so now they try to instruct drivers as to how to properly move packages. Oh, and were not just debating this for ourselves, Were debating this for the youg guys coming up that may get scammed by the likes of you.
BE GOOD. :happy2:

Ghost in the Darkness

I've seen people mentioning Bonuses the last few monthes and I just scratch my head because I have no idea what you are talking about. As far as I know we get paid by the hour (or minute) and we get overtime but I've never heard of or recieved a bonus.

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I first started driving, a senior driver took me aside and told me to be carefull, the pace you set will be noted and they will expect that pace or better for your career. I never had a problem with my pace and was always on schedule. On the road, there are amny variables that come to play and it is hard to time study a job like UPS or a roady, One road closure and you are off schedule.......

Chnandler Bong

Hey, my steward mentioned today that the new talk in our supplement (710), which has not passed yet, is that there will be a cap on bonus. No driver will be paid more than 1 hour of bonus, no matter how much they can shave off the route.quote]

I am a member of 710 and this one has me scratching my head. Our center voted out bonus a few years back, and we are better off for it. We voted it out primarily because the time studies were all over the place. I covered routes for years and could make an hour bonus on some, run an hour over on others. Always worked at the same pace and new the routes well. Just wasn't fair. All employees should be compensated equally.

Regardless of your feelings on bonus, the union always took the same stance. "We do not recognize UPS time standards -- fair days work for a fair days pay." So how do they come to this agreement without somehow recognizing company time standards?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Mikestrek, listen to yourself. Free hourly labor and and a lesser paycheck can hardly be considered a bonus. I don't care if I bonus, I don't care if you bonus. I do care if someone other than the company decides whether bonus is good for me or not. I agree bonus is not always fair. So what? Is it fair that I haul 700 or 800 boxes a day and the guy next to me drives around the country and handle 150 boxes for the same wage?

Mikestrek, listen to yourself. Free hourly labor and and a lesser paycheck can hardly be considered a bonus. I don't care if I bonus, I don't care if you bonus. I do care if someone other than the company decides whether bonus is good for me or not. I agree bonus is not always fair. So what? Is it fair that I haul 700 or 800 boxes a day and the guy next to me drives around the country and handle 150 boxes for the same wage?

No, that's not fair, ask if you can park your truck next to someone else.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Nice! That's like the time I wrote in the DVIR that the truck makes a rattling noise on the interstate. The mechanic wrote his reply in the DVIR, don't take the interstate.

rocket man

Bonus? THE People who get a bonus sounds like a bunch of scabs and kiss asses non union, what you dont want a luncH ? you wanna go home early? GO TO FEDX. I hope the guy that gets laid off in the next car to you because you dont want lunch and you want to see how fast you can burn out in you time with ups. I hope he has something to say to you. just remember to say your sorry to his family house payments ect ect ect. take your bouns and shove it. What the pay you make is not good enough? I wish i knew what local your in oh i forgot your not a union member YOUR A SCAB.....

upsgrunt

Bonus? THE People who get a bonus sounds like a bunch of scabs and kiss asses non union, what you dont want a luncH ? you wanna go home early? GO TO FEDX. I hope the guy that gets laid off in the next car to you because you dont want lunch and you want to see how fast you can burn out in you time with ups. I hope he has something to say to you. just remember to say your sorry to his family house payments ect ect ect. take your bouns and shove it. What the pay you make is not good enough? I wish i knew what local your in oh i forgot your not a union member YOUR A SCAB.....

Dude- you need to switch to decaff............................and maybe change your kotex.:happy2:

upsgrunt

I'm one of those drivers that drive around the country. Today I had 96 stops and 168 pkgs--- It's called senority and it's a wonderful thing. If you stick around long enough it becomes your friend.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The bonus system is great you are a maroon to tell UPS no, dont pay me extra for working hard. Listen to yourselves get it through your heads we are not all created equall, so we should be recognized for it. At UPS we have great employees good employees average employees and horible employees, and you dont need me to tell you at the end of a day we all earned the same amount. The solution is standardizing the bonus system, not eleminating it, pull your heads out.

tieguy

Banned
Oh my god! We all know "BONUS" is a scam created only to get free hourly labor, just to pay a lesser paycheck to hard working UPSers. :happy2:

I always felt bad for the victims of this scam who would be home with the family at dinner time while still technically on the clock.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
When I first started driving, a senior driver took me aside and told me to be carefull, the pace you set will be noted and they will expect that pace or better for your career. ..

This is a common practice exercised by senior guys to make sure you don't come in and make them look bad.

tieguy

Banned

Or you can work in a non bonus center where the guy nexts to you plays with his pud all day and then sticks you with 20 stops of his when you could have been going home for dinner. Its all worth it though when he gives ya that wink and says thanks brother!!

New Englander

This is a common practice exercised by senior guys to make sure you don't come in and make them look bad.

Tie.....it's also COMMON practice that a newer guy who will run gets MORE stops then they would even consider sending out the bid driver with when covering.

It's pretty simple to understand UPS usually rewards the guy who stays out and goes slow then the runner.

Hmm....the bid driver goes out with less yet comes in the same time I do on his route with MORE. If your going to be out late either way who is the fool?

Call it common practice on the older drivers if you want it's also common practice the other way.

New Englander

What honestly makes you think they are going to put another route on? They have a certain amount of stops per car they have to meet.

THEY DON"T REALLY CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES. As long as they get that magic number.

Please tell me you've figured that out by now.