New Contract

I am getting very close to driving.... and I have the highest part time seniority in my building, but I have a feeling that I will not actually get hired until the new contract goes into effect next August... Do you think that they are going to cut the new driver pay or change the pay progression in the new contract???

Yes to cutting pay or progression??? It seems like the company is making too much money to cut the pay.... We just set another record for the first quarter in 2012 for profits... just my opinion

yeldarb

And alot of the profits you refer to are related to outsourcing more loads through the railroad and delivering more to the post office. Just because the profits are there, does not mean that UPS will be okay with paying more.

U

uber

I am getting very close to driving.... and I have the highest part time seniority in my building, but I have a feeling that I will not actually get hired until the new contract goes into effect next August... Do you think that they are going to cut the new driver pay or change the pay progression in the new contract???

If they do, I sure as hell won't vote for it. The company's profiting record numbers so lets pay the drivers less. Sounds like a slimy thing to do. Lets line the CEO's pockets with more cash so they can buy another vacation house... That's it...

DERP!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It also doesn't mean we have to vote yes to whatever they offer. I think they will try for lower pay for new hires and we will vote it down. I think they settle for a longer progression. The only problem I have with this is do many drivers are working 10-15 part time before they start driving so if you start at 20 part time it could be 40 before u hit full scale.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't think they will cut our pay. I think they will go after progression and/or benefits (IE: make us pay part of our benefit package). I would sooner see a pay freeze than to let them get away with making us pay our benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think they will cut our pay. I think they will go after progression and/or benefits (IE: make us pay part of our benefit package). I would sooner see a pay freeze than to let them get away with making us pay our benefits.

I also don't think they will cut the pay or benefits for current FTers. I do think they will at least discuss a lower starting wage, longer progession and lower top out for new FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract. I think current FTers will continue to see the same kind of raises we have been seeing all along and, yes, they will continue to be split raises.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i want or would like more option days. and more routes on road try to get us to 8 to 8hrs 15 minutes.

Option days are straight-forward.

More routes is a problematic goal.
The proposal can't say, add more routes but "more routes" has to be a result of a term that results in more routes.

The most common and logical proposal I have seen is to have a sliding scale condition that happens automatically.
This one that I seen on here:
0 - 8 hours - straight time
8 - 9 hours - time and 1/2
9 - 9.5 hours - double hourly pay
9.5 and above - triple pay

One thing that UPS (or any company) reacts to is cost.

Would these terms and conditions be acceptable to you.

CAFAL

Don't forget that the union is scumbagging us with the pension. The union will fight to protect it's strenghth before gettin us more money. I'm sure ups will try to eliminate part time bennies too. We're screwed

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't forget that the union is scumbagging us with the pension. The union will fight to protect it's strenghth before gettin us more money. I'm sure ups will try to eliminate part time bennies too. We're screwed

This is twice you have mentioned problems with your pension. We are both from NY. I am from Upstate (north of Albany) and our pension has been in a rehabilitation plan for most of this contract. Our split raises are being diverted to the pension and we now have to be at least 55 w/30 yrs of service in order to receive a full pension. We are about 65% funded.

What are the issues with your pension?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't forget that the union is scumbagging us with the pension. The union will fight to protect it's strength before gettin us more money. I'm sure ups will try to eliminate part time bennies too. We're screwed

P/T benefits paid out by UPS are miniscule - I doubt if this is on UPS's radar.
Any P/T benefits funded by UPS but administered by the Teamsters will be a big contentious concern. So I guess you are correct to be concerned.

Buck Fifty

I say , they will try all of the above mentioned. They have done so in the past. Should be interesting to see if the Union can once again hold them off. My vote to any contract will always be an Absolute NO! As yours should be. Pters have been ratifying our contacts since Ive been here, and I dont see it much differently for this one. Tell all your PTers to vote No. No,No,NO,NO,nononononononono,no,no,Know,no,no,NO,NO. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

over9five

Staff member
I say , they will try all of the above mentioned. They have done so in the past. Should be interesting to see if the Union can once again hold them off. My vote to any contract will always be an Absolute NO! As yours should be. Pters have been ratifying our contacts since Ive been here, and I dont see it much differently for this one. Tell all your PTers to vote No. No,No,NO,NO,nononononononono,no,no,Know,no,no,NO,NO. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

I'm confused. How do you know to vote "No" before you've even read it? Do you still vote "No" if it's a good contract???

CAFAL

This is twice you have mentioned problems with your pension. We are both from NY. I am from Upstate (north of Albany) and our pension has been in a rehabilitation plan for most of this contract. Our split raises are being diverted to the pension and we now have to be at least 55 w/30 yrs of service in order to receive a full pension. We are about 65% funded.
Did you not get the yearly pension paperwork? We are still in critical status and the plan will need more reform. It's a worth what it was in 2009. That money will come at our sacrifice yet again
What are the issues with your pension?