new cover driver HELP !

cwb425

I am now a cover driver after been in the warehouse for a few years, I have been on the the road with my on road supervisor to learn the route before they let me go, I am having lots of trouble finding anything, is there any advice people can give me ? I understand it just takes time, but its alot harder than I thought. the workload is fine, I can work hard I am just afraid when I am off alone I will get lost and not be able to find my next stop

thanks

any advice and betters ways to learn a new route ?

I am now a cover driver after been in the warehouse for a few years, I have been on the the road with my on road supervisor to learn the route before they let me go, I am having lots of trouble finding anything, is there any advice people can give me ? I understand it just takes time, but its alot harder than I thought. the workload is fine, I can work hard I am just afraid when I am off alone I will get lost and not be able to find my next stop

thanks

By a map of the area and give yourself some time. The first few times are overwhelming because you are just not used to the frenetic work pace. Give yourself some time and don't give up. One stop at a time, one package at a time.

UPSGUY72

thanks

Just take your time and don't rush. Get a good map.

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually, when I got thrown into the "cold water". I came out with a brilliant idea, printed off a few copies of maps from the area. Or photocopy the map out of the book at UPS.
And then go in early enough... and mark your stops with numbers (1 - 50 for example)... It helped me out big time. (look at you packages addresses, and mark them on the printed map accordingly).

It gets you ahead of the game, but also requires a little bit of working off the clock, prior to leaving the buliding and driving.
You'll only need to do that for 3 -5 days, and you'll be fine after that.

Last edited:

Dissident

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I struggled to scratch even once until the very end, maxed out my hours several days in a row from driving around in circles trying to find one or two addresses, ready to crash the package car into a tree and just walk away.

Just be patient and calm and acknowledge that you're going to have really, -really- crappy days. A whole bunch of them. Don't quit, don't be afraid to ask for help, and sooner or later you'll just 'get it' and be able to go blind on any route. Nobody can really say what 'getting it' means, since it could be any one of a dozen hurdles holding you up.

One practical piece of advice I can give is a step beyond what others have recommended: once you have your map, copy as much of the area as you can fit on a note card, or a sheet of paper all folded up. Don't trace or photocopy, draw that thing by hand. Mark all the streets, appropriate street numberings, draw little boxes for the major business stops, etc. Keep that in your shirt pocket, laminated if possible. Not only is it easier to pull out in a hurry to remember where you are, but the act of creating it yourself etches the area knowledge into your memory.

More is coming to mind...

Try to organize as you go. If you're digging on the floor for one package, instead of flipping things over and tossing them aside to get to that little bitty one underneath, pick them up and put them in the correct place so you're not doing the same dig-around all over again. If your shelf is loosening up and you have some space to move stuff around, get everything on that shelf in order. If nothing more fits on your shelf, scoot all the big stuff on the floor underneath its proper location, and then -don't hit curbs-.

If you do hit a curb, don't freak out. Stop and reload everything you can. Even if it takes ten minutes, it'll be less time than all the delays you'll experience trying to find that tiny 3000 that fell, slid to the back, and got buried under your 7000s.

Be well organized beforehand. Look through EDD and see if you have easy business stops like offices or small retail stores that are getting air and ground separately. You might even have resis like this. find the ground and load it next to the air, and bring it all in at once. Deliver them as two stops so you're not losing credit, and now you don't have to go back later, and you've bought a few minutes.

And most of all, again, stay calm. Even when you 'get it' you'll still be expected to move impossibly fast without compromising safety, do more work in less time, meet the conflicting demands of different customers without upsetting anyone, break the rules to make your sups look good without breaking any rules and getting fired.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I was in the same boat a few years ago. I struggled to scratch even once until the very end, maxed out my hours several days in a row from driving around in circles trying to find one or two addresses, ready to crash the package car into a tree and just walk away.

Just be patient and calm and acknowledge that you're going to have really, -really- crappy days. A whole bunch of them. Don't quit, don't be afraid to ask for help, and sooner or later you'll just 'get it' and be able to go blind on any route. Nobody can really say what 'getting it' means, since it could be any one of a dozen hurdles holding you up.

One practical piece of advice I can give is a step beyond what others have recommended: once you have your map, copy as much of the area as you can fit on a note card, or a sheet of paper all folded up. Don't trace or photocopy, draw that thing by hand. Mark all the streets, appropriate street numberings, draw little boxes for the major business stops, etc. Keep that in your shirt pocket, laminated if possible. Not only is it easier to pull out in a hurry to remember where you are, but the act of creating it yourself etches the area knowledge into your memory.

More is coming to mind...

Try to organize as you go. If you're digging on the floor for one package, instead of flipping things over and tossing them aside to get to that little bitty one underneath, pick them up and put them in the correct place so you're not doing the same dig-around all over again. If your shelf is loosening up and you have some space to move stuff around, get everything on that shelf in order. If nothing more fits on your shelf, scoot all the big stuff on the floor underneath its proper location, and then -don't hit curbs-.

If you do hit a curb, don't freak out. Stop and reload everything you can. Even if it takes ten minutes, it'll be less time than all the delays you'll experience trying to find that tiny 3000 that fell, slid to the back, and got buried under your 7000s.

Be well organized beforehand. Look through EDD and see if you have easy business stops like offices or small retail stores that are getting air and ground separately. You might even have resis like this. find the ground and load it next to the air, and bring it all in at once. Deliver them as two stops so you're not losing credit, and now you don't have to go back later, and you've bought a few minutes.

And most of all, again, stay calm. Even when you 'get it' you'll still be expected to move impossibly fast without compromising safety, do more work in less time, meet the conflicting demands of different customers without upsetting anyone, break the rules to make your sups look good without breaking any rules and getting fired.

Mostly good advice except for taking 2 stops for nda and ground at the same time. That is viewed as stop puffing and will get you fired for dishonesty. Either run them seperately at their appropriate times and take a stop each time or all at once and u get 1 stop. Don't work off the clock other than to familiarize yourself with the area a bit or make maps etc. Don't sort your pc off the clock. Bad habits die hard. Learn things the wrong way and you will have trouble weaning yourself off of them. Also ask as many drivers as run the area how they do it, and you'll pick up some other inside info, like which door to use, where to park, who signs quick etc. Good luck.

Dagoof

Stop 1 bar on 3rd.
stop 2-30 deliveries
stop 30 bar on 40th
lunch
stop 31-70 delibereees
stop 71 side of the road puking
ummm lost count going to bar to remember then punchout.

Actually, when I got thrown into the "cold water". I came out with a brilliant idea, printed off a few copies of maps from the area. Or photocopy the map out of the book at UPS.
And then go in early enough... and mark your stops with numbers (1 - 50 for example)... It helped me out big time. (look at you packages addresses, and mark them on the printed map accordingly).

It gets you ahead of the game, but also requires a little bit of working off the clock, prior to leaving the buliding and driving.
You'll only need to do that for 3 -5 days, and you'll be fine after that.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Deliver them as two stops so you're not losing credit, and now you don't have to go back later, and you've bought a few minutes.

Do not ever do this, if you only make one stop you better sheet it as one stop!!! This is falsifying records with intent to steal time, on your training packet if you are caught doing something like this there will not even be a hearing. You will be walked off the property never to be seen again!!

By the way you are paid by the hour, so padding stops does nothing for you!!

The rest of the advice is pretty good though. I went to my training area and hand drew a map of every street with the hundred blocks listed on it. Believe it or not I really did not need it after drawing it, just the act of driving it and drawing it stuck it all in my mind!!

Don1t worry too much it will become second nature within a few days. As stated above organization is the key, and do not panic. This job is much more about mental ability than anything else, keep your focus and you should do well!!

GOOD LUCK!!

rocket man

WHAT I Did when i started cover driving a map could help . But what i did i had a hard bussniess area a lot of simular bldgs and a very confusing area. I went to area on sunday afternnon in my car ran that area frontward backwards pretended i had a oca pickup here there just spent 2 hours . in area . The cops did come out pulled me over I Explained what i was doing they were ok with it. It did help a bit good luck. NO Matter what dont give up. There might be a day or 2 or 3 you may get home and want to cry get angry totally pissed . Dont feel bad you will not be the first. dont listen to kline he dont work for ups.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You will realize soon enough that there are people that get deliveries 3 times a week at least. On your map, write down address numbers. It makes it easier to remember where the even/odd sides are. If a long street, it makes it easier to find where 1100 is or if you have to keep going to get to 1200.

I have never had an issue in 10 years EVER about getting 2 stop credit for airs and ground. It is credited as 2 stops in EDD/PAS as well. Management knows it saves time to do it that way (if you are not wasting time looking for the ground). It saves you from going back and makes you more efficient in front of the customer. They appreciate it.

If you are trained NOT to do it that way, then don't do it. If you miss an air because you were delivering a ground with air, you will get in trouble.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have never had an issue in 10 years EVER about getting 2 stop credit for airs and ground. It is credited as 2 stops in EDD/PAS as well. Management knows it saves time to do it that way (if you are not wasting time looking for the ground). It saves you from going back and makes you more efficient in front of the customer. They appreciate it.

You were trained to pad stops?! Was this the same sup who trained you to toss packages?!

If you deliver all of the pkgs for a single address than you get credit for a single stop. Period.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Drive around the area you will be delivering on your days off

Yep, that way you won't be totally freaked out. Find out the main streets and how to get in and out of the area with ease. In my loop I got cell phone numbers of nearby PC's and they were really helpful making sure I got through the day alright.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You were trained to pad stops?! Was this the same sup who trained you to toss packages?!

If you deliver all of the pkgs for a single address than you get credit for a single stop. Period.

Padding stops is when you go back to the business a second time later on in the day because you "couldn't find" a package

It is on your diad as 2 seperate stops period.

Honestly, shouldn't you be at work now and sorting your truck !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, let me get this straight: My first stop is WalMart. Let's say I have 50 ground and 10 NDA, all loaded together because my loader is able to think for himself and does not follow PAS on bulk stops. You are saying I should sheet the ground separately from the air so I should start, say, with the ground, scan them and set any NDA aside until the ground is done, prerecord the stop, scan the NDA, prerecord that stop, do a MLA, have them sign, and then complete the stop, putting 25 Consumer Sq as the LA address. That is just way too much work just to get credit for one stop and, yes, you are padding stops and falsifying records.

tarbar66

Do not worry about the daily operations report. Make sure you work safe, drive safe and work smart.

One of my on car sups would train new drivers by having them learn the route in sections. He also encourgaged the other drivers in the loop to be the new guy or girl's big brother.

The biggest advantage a new person has today is PAS/EDD if it is set up correctly. Back in my newby days it would take at least 4-5 days on a rural route to learn it with a supervisor riding along.

That was in the old days 5-20 years ago. I am not sure if that would work now.

UPS Lifer

Ask your supervisor for a print out of a previous day's deliveries and retrace the route on the weekend. Knowing the way the route is looped is a key to your success.

To minimize your dependence on maps try the following....

Each city or county area has a distinctive pattern to the way streets are numbered and many times the way they are named.

Learn the center point of the city (City Center). This is where north-south-east-west come together. Street addresses get larger as they move from the center point in the direction of travel . Example - Street addresses going North get higher going north and will get smaller going south. If you notice they addresses are getting larger after they had been getting smaller - you passed the center point of the city. For example, you may be passing the 200 block of North 1st St heading to the 100 block of North 1st street and 3 blocks later you are in the 300 block... You passed the center point and are now on South 1st St.

The addresses also change by a certain number (varies by location). For example in one area they may increase by "4". (720-724-728-732 etc.)

Even addresses are generally on one side of the street - odd on the other...

Every time you pass an intersection look at the cross street and the block numbers to get a sense of where you are and the direction you are going. You may have to say it out loud until it becomes a routine.

When boundaries change such as another city or unincorporated areas such as county, the number and name of the streets may change abruptly. If the street you are traveling on is a borderline, you will probably have different set of numbers on opposite sides of the street. For example, you may see 3 digit numbers on one side and the other side will have 5 digit numbers.

I would also suggest finding out who the center team feels learns routes the quickest and ask what techniques that driver uses to learn area knowledge quickly.