New definition of a "good" load

PT Car Washer

They're talking about getting us those stupid scanners at my building soon and I am really dreading it man.
Might have to quit.
The preload scanners turned out to be another flavor of the month. Helped with misloads at the expense of production. Preload still scan the packages but not for misloads. Misload are out of control which is fine with me. I make a lot of money running misloads from one end of the county to the other end.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yup, those scanners do somewhat help, but it's down to the actual preloader to make sure it goes to the correct route after the scan.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Our Preload is a Tuesday-Saturday operation, so Monday is a joke. They are short staffed on Monday, so I have a different Preloader every time. I see our air driver about every Monday, she come gets the missorts off of me.
We have the same problem at my building. Mondays were already a mess once Saturday ground started but once they apparently moved the majority of the pre-loaders to T-S it became an even bigger disaster. None of us have our regular loaders for either Saturday or Monday so what you get is a mess on a monumental scale.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
U have union protection, don't sweat it. Just get the box to the right route.

FXG have them for years & they still mis load daily at my terminal.

I'm glad I preload my own cargo, so I don't take them for a ride.

I'll also be missing stuff because the preloader will actually put a box or three to my neighboring routes by accident after scanning
Don’t you guys all load your own cars? Ground guy told me the preload just gets the stuff behind correct car & driver loads .

ManInBrown

I spent 3 hours one day in the pouring rain unloading my entire truck on a residential street looking for an air. Just shy of 500 pieces. And then reloaded it in stop for stop order. The day before I was in the office because i couldnt find an air and went and delivered a bulk stop so I could search more easily. Found the air and made it my next stop but it was late. The next day was in the office and got chewed out for 20 minutes about how now I’m on some report and he’s never going to hear the end of it. Lol. I loved playing their dumb games.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
A good load is defined as preloaders leaving before driver start time, finished or not. Preload sups don't enough sense to get out of the rain. Stockholders are happy so all is well.

OrioN

Don’t you guys all load your own cars? Ground guy told me the preload just gets the stuff behind correct car & driver loads .
It depends if your route is a b2b (real Ground) or a residential route (formerly HD Home Delivery)

Ground are mainly driving 18-26' straight trucks & p1000/1200 step vans. They got to leave the terminal early to clear out the deliveries to run pickups in the pm.

Home Delivery, some will preload in stop order or in clusters of neighborhoods. Our goal is to empty the truck, with rare residential pickups (usually RTS or damaged freight)

I prefer the latter ops, so I know what is in my truck with no pickup time restraints

MrBates

Have any of you had the pleasure of dispatch putting Mondays work on a Saturday route? They keep trying this every year and every single time it comes back to bite them. All I know is when you put Mondays work from a different route and I have to sort thru both, UPS is getting a big fat teamster tax, and I'll be having Alaskan king crab for dinner. They never learn.

Hot Carl

We've had scanners on our preload for a while. If you were trained with scanners as a new preloader, there isn't really much to it once you get the system down. Scan it, load it, come back out for the next one. Once you get familiar with a set of trucks, the mornings go by relatively smoothly and driver bitching is kept to a minimum until management decides to change things up for reasons.

That being said, our preload operation is as much a mess as any other. Most problems stem from inadequate training, which in our building effectively amounts to "Welp, there's the truck, and there's the numbers. Good luck!" That and the fact that they're desperate enough for help that they'll keep any bum with a pulse past 30 days. But nobody really gets taught how to plan for space or work the belt and avoid stacking out/falling behind. You're basically left to figure it out on your own and learn from other preloaders and drivers when they whine about your load. I know for me it took a solid 3-4 weeks to really figure out the job.

For peak this year, they got really creative and brought down a couple girls who only knew how to sort smalls in the mezzanine and put both of them on 3 trucks. 500ish pieces on each truck. Results: Predictable. Stacks, misloads, tears, and salty drivers.

The drastically differing driver attitudes toward preload continues to amuse me though. Some drivers can barely mask their disgust at the miserable treatment and working conditions, others just can not help but pile on and add to preload misery. The latter are the ones I always hope have new hires loading their trucks.

Newer drivers who were preloaders within the last few years typically seem to get it, but the ones who are 10-20+ years removed from preload sometimes have a hard time grasping how different it is now with many of us handling 900-1100+ pieces in 5-6 hours, all while the pay still sucks. We had a 12 year driver who had to bump inside for ~6 months from mid-summer all through peak last year and said he'd never complain again about everything not being in his truck when he shows up in the morning. Said the volumes were never this high and the pace of the job was nothing like it is now and that he'd never be able to keep up. That's a driver who always gets a good load.

tl;dr preload sucks. Go driving.

clean hairy

For some, a good load is stop for stop loaded so they can get in 8.5 and go home.
Others might prefer having to dig around for each stop so they can rack up overtime.
Depends on which one you are.

OrioN

For some, a good load is stop for stop loaded so they can get in 8.5 and go home.
Others might prefer having to dig around for each stop so they can rack up overtime.
Depends on which one you are.

FXG well, really HD, has to be this way by default... not paid hourly, forces one to run/gun

iruhnman630

I spent 3 hours one day in the pouring rain unloading my entire truck on a residential street looking for an air. Just shy of 500 pieces. And then reloaded it in stop for stop order. The day before I was in the office because i couldnt find an air and went and delivered a bulk stop so I could search more easily. Found the air and made it my next stop but it was late. The next day was in the office and got chewed out for 20 minutes about how now I’m on some report and he’s never going to hear the end of it. Lol. I loved playing their dumb games.
If air is so important they can go back to segregating the air like they should be

AwashBwashCwash

The reason why I am dreading the scanners is because I have never been able to walk into the back of a package car while carrying just 1 package.
Every time I go into one of my trucks I have at least 3 in my arm, sometimes more.
It has to be this way or else my pull crashes and burns.