new diad feature

Overpaid Union Thug

I want that software here but I want to be able to split my lunch up. I'm not the type of person that can sit still for an hour and then go back to work. When I first started driving I woud eat and chill out for about 30 minutes and then go back to work. I hated knowing that I was working 30 minutes for free so I started dividing the hour up and have been doing it every since. I usually divide it into three breaks. I'm probably going full-time soon and I hope all this new stuff like PAS/EDD and lunch software come in after I'm full-time qualified because just about every full-time driver I know has said that it's best jut skip your lunch and move a little faster until you scratch and get your thirty days in. And then after that it's safe to take the lunches and walk the stops off. I've read that on here too. I've had little trouble running under plan every since I started dividing my lunch up. But it's still nice knowing that I can skip lunch one day during my 30 day qualification and it'll all but assure that I'll get qualified. That is the requirement in our center. A new full-timer has to run under plan one day within the first 30 days. Anyone know if taking 30 and getting paid for the other affects the plan for that day?

rebel

Last monday we had a driver who needed to get off early so he showed his lunch but worked through it. His sup is aware of this and has allowed it to happen. Do you guys think this a integrity issue concerning the sups actions. He told the driver it was ok to do it.

govols019

You smell that?
I want that software here but I want to be able to split my lunch up. I'm not the type of person that can sit still for an hour and then go back to work. When I first started driving I woud eat and chill out for about 30 minutes and then go back to work. I hated knowing that I was working 30 minutes for free so I started dividing the hour up and have been doing it every since. I usually divide it into three breaks. I'm probably going full-time soon and I hope all this new stuff like PAS/EDD and lunch software come in after I'm full-time qualified because just about every full-time driver I know has said that it's best jut skip your lunch and move a little faster until you scratch and get your thirty days in. And then after that it's safe to take the lunches and walk the stops off. I've read that on here too. I've had little trouble running under plan every since I started dividing my lunch up. But it's still nice knowing that I can skip lunch one day during my 30 day qualification and it'll all but assure that I'll get qualified. That is the requirement in our center. A new full-timer has to run under plan one day within the first 30 days. Anyone know if taking 30 and getting paid for the other affects the plan for that day?

If you are a qualified part-time cover driver then you don't have to qualify again when you go full time. Don't worry about being over/under. It doesn't matter.

browniehound

Last monday we had a driver who needed to get off early so he showed his lunch but worked through it. His sup is aware of this and has allowed it to happen. Do you guys think this a integrity issue concerning the sups actions. He told the driver it was ok to do it.

I don't agree with this. If he needed to get out early the sup should have made an exception and paid him through code 5 in my opinion. And I do think this is an integity issue. Its falsifying delivery records and you can be terminated for it. If I needed to get out early and the sup wouldn't code 5 me I wouldn't put any lunch in the DIAD. I would probably be talked to the next day about it but I wouldn't be fired for dishonesty.

Overpaid Union Thug

Nope. Just be ready to learn a bunch of routes blind.

Luckily for me the practice of letting new drivers, or even experienced, run blind hasn't happened much here. All of our unassigned drivers are very cool about it and will usually step up and run the route and let the junior driver run a route they are familiar with. They will usually do this until the junior driver has been trained on the route. Our drivers are pretty good about things like that. Even though they know they don't have to be. I'm sure when PAS/EDD starts they'll stop doing this. I would. I mean why not? The DIAD tells you where to go.

Where I come from, if you work during your lunch, you wouldn't make your pre-seniority. I think there will be a day when every center looks for lunch workers. You didn't want that day to be inside your 30 days:mad:

Overpaid Union Thug

Where I come from, if you work during your lunch, you wouldn't make your pre-seniority. I think there will be a day when every center looks for lunch workers. You didn't want that day to be inside your 30 days:mad:

Yeah that is exactly what I was worried about. But if GoVols019 is correct, which I think he is, then I won't have to go through all of that qualifying again anyway. I've been part-time cover driving for over 2.5 years so I've definately gotten 30 days withing a 4 month period and I've ran "under plan" many, many times. I just figured that once a driver goes full-time that there had to another stipulation involved. I mean why wouldn't I think that? It is afterall UPS we are talking about here. LOL!

Yeah that is exactly what I was worried about. But if GoVols019 is correct, which I think he is, then I won't have to go through all of that qualifying again anyway. I've been part-time cover driving for over 2.5 years so I've definately gotten 30 days withing a 4 month period and I've ran "under plan" many, many times. I just figured that once a driver goes full-time that there had to another stipulation involved. I mean why wouldn't I think that? It is afterall UPS we are talking about here. LOL!

I may be wrong, but I think you will still have to go through your 30 days again. You're in a new job class. I'm not sure what part-time cover driver does (cover full routes?) but utility drivers have to go through their 30 days.

Overpaid Union Thug

I may be wrong, but I think you will still have to go through your 30 days again. You're in a new job class. I'm not sure what part-time cover driver does (cover full routes?) but utility drivers have to go through their 30 days.

I just looked it up in the contract and the Southern Region Supplemental Agreement under Article 49 Section 7(G) says that a part-time coverage driver that completed a 30 day qualifying period will not have to complete another probationary period if they are the successfull bidder for a regular full-time driver position. Also that they shall not suffer a reduction of pay.

You guys don't have part-time cover drivers? They are supposed to be used to fill in for full-time drivers while on vacations or to cover absences when there aren't enough full-time drivers in a center. The problem is that many centers have been using them to supplement the full-timers. A good steward, with the help of On Car Sups and Managers, can press for more drivers to be added. If a center is using part-timers enough then it is justified to ask for more full-timers. That is what is happening in our region.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You guys don't have part-time cover drivers? They are supposed to be used to fill in for full-time drivers while on vacations or to cover absences when there aren't enough full-time drivers in a center. The problem is that many centers have been using them to supplement the full-timers. A good steward, with the help of On Car Sups and Managers, can press for more drivers to be added. If a center is using part-timers enough then it is justified to ask for more full-timers. That is what is happening in our region.

The P/T Cover Driver job has always been abused since that position was created. At the Pleasentdale Hub north of Atlanta, it was greived and 37 new full time Package Driver positions were created several months ago.

You guys don't have part-time cover drivers? They are supposed to be used to fill in for full-time drivers while on vacations or to cover absences when there aren't enough full-time drivers in a center.

I've never heard of this either. Maybe we're just using different terminology? In our area we have the following types of drivers....

Bid Drivers - Full time drivers who have their own route.

Swing Drivers
- Full time drivers who do NOT have their own route. They cover routes that are open due to vacations and call-offs.

Seasonal Drivers
- Pretty much describes it. They work for a couple months in the summer when vacations are maxed out or during peak. Might work 40+ hours a week if the volume is there, might not work at all if it isn't. Position is offered to part timers first, then filled by outside hires if they can't fill all the positions they need. If they're outside hires, they're not in the union and are let go when vacations ease up or peak ends.

We also have both full time and part time air drivers.

Is this part-time cover driver you're talking about a seasonal hire or is it a permanent year round position? :confused:1

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never heard of this either. Maybe we're just using different terminology? In our area we have the following types of drivers....

Bid Drivers - Full time drivers who have their own route.

Swing Drivers
- Full time drivers who do NOT have their own route. They cover routes that are open due to vacations and call-offs.

Seasonal Drivers
- Pretty much describes it. They work for a couple months in the summer when vacations are maxed out or during peak. Might work 40+ hours a week if the volume is there, might not work at all if it isn't. Position is offered to part timers first, then filled by outside hires if they can't fill all the positions they need. If they're outside hires, they're not in the union and are let go when vacations ease up or peak ends.

We also have both full time and part time air drivers.

Is this part-time cover driver you're talking about a seasonal hire or is it a permanent year round position? :confused:1

Permanent. New drivers and 22.3 are popping up all over the place in our region lately. The reason more full-time drivers are being added is because our "seasonal" drivers were being used year round.

So you have permanent part time package car drivers? How does that work? They call in every day and work as needed on a daily basis? How is that different from the low seniority swing drivers? Do they do the full route or only work a certain number of hours a day? Are they limited to how many hours or days they can work during a week? And this is different from the 22.3 jobs?

Overpaid Union Thug

So you have permanent part time package car drivers? How does that work? They call in every day and work as needed on a daily basis? How is that different from the low seniority swing drivers? Do they do the full route or only work a certain number of hours a day? Are they limited to how many hours or days they can work during a week? And this is different from the 22.3 jobs?

Part-time cover drivers (seasonal) are supposed to be used to cover vacations and abscenses when there arent enough full-timers to do so. Me for example: I'm on call but somtimes I know ahead of time that I'll be working every day of a certain week. Sometimes even weeks at a time. Otherwise I get a call between 7am-7:30am to come in. We aren't limited to how many hours we can get. Usually get a full day of work. Sometimes it's an actual route and sometimes its only bulk stops. It just depends. I've been averaging about 30 hours each week since Christmas and I work my regular shift when I don't drive. There have been plenty of weeks where I've worked over 40 hours. Sometimes I only drive half a day and then work my shift that night. The 22.3 jobs have nothing to do with the seasonal drivers.