New DIAD, Good, Bad, or Ugly. Poll

Which Diad is better 4 or 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Re-Raise

We ve had DIAD 5 for about a month now. The smaller size is great and I like not having to toggle from letters to numbers. The scanner works better and the signatures are clearer.

I think the touchscreen features may be difficult in the winter wearing gloves, but all in all i would say it is a big improvement over the DIAD 4 which already seems like an over-sized dinosaur.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Diad machine IV was better for slapping dogs and the processor seemed faster.

Diad device V is nice and slim, good for juggling, can fit in your back pants pocket if you forget your holster, and as mentioned, the sig. pad is MUCH clearer, and the scanner picks up barcodes that Diad IV never could. Plus, it's got a flashlight !

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Someone correct me if I am wrong but we were told it uses the same clip as the IV.

It can, but there is a little bracket that wraps around the bottom of the Diad and locks into specially placed clips. That bracket then has a nice little hook that fits into the clip. Personally, I don't like it.....but I never really cared for the clips anyway.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Not as good for swatting dogs. The processor is slower that DIAD 4. They didn't use gorilla glass for the screen. Every center has to order and install 3M screen protectors for DIAD 5s'. Without them the screen will be scratched beyond repair, necessitating replacement within 3 months.

The protectors will last 4 to 6 months, depending on use, and totally protects the screen.

There's a software update that activates the light sensor so the screen backlight brightens in sunlight and dims in darkness.

upsgrunt

Can someone please post a picture of the clip attachment? We were told they aren't available yet, and the holster seems to get in the way of the seatbelt.

EmraldArcher

Not as good for swatting dogs. The processor is slower that DIAD 4. They didn't use gorilla glass for the screen. Every center has to order and install 3M screen protectors for DIAD 5s'. Without them the screen will be scratched beyond repair, necessitating replacement within 3 months.

The protectors will last 4 to 6 months, depending on use, and totally protects the screen.

There's a software update that activates the light sensor so the screen backlight brightens in sunlight and dims in darkness.

Oh is that supposed to be a feature? We all thought it was some bug causing our screens to fade in and out. It's actually way more annoying then helpful.

Indecisi0n

Oh is that supposed to be a feature? We all thought it was some bug causing our screens to fade in and out. It's actually way more annoying then helpful.

One of the first fundamental rules I learned in programming was to not "force" features onto users. This means using auto features as little as possible or if possible eliminate them all together. Instead have function lists where users can choose on/off/auto. I guess whoever built/programmed the DIAD was sick that day.

packageguy

Best thing since white bread. only thing bad buttons smaller so if you have fat fingers your are hitting different buttons. it's faster fits in your back pocket. you can use one hand from one side to the other. enjoy it.

upsman1

I don't understand why this poll is going in favor of the DIAD V.

The location of the signature button was not changed. Customers still press it when signing. In fact, it is easier to press now that all the buttons are raised. Half of the time when you put it back in your pouch you end up pushing a button. The screen is smaller and so is the font. When removing the DIAD from your pouch the stylus will come out of the holding slot sometimes. The buttons are smaller making it harder to use your thumbs to enter everything. The touch screen does not always work the way it should. While scanning at a bulk stop it is to easy to accidentally press the signature button before your done. I even talked with another driver that was at his last air stop, scanning all of the bulk packages and accidentally hitting prerec, making his air late. Yes, it does scan some messed up bar codes, but try scanning surepost packages were they have bar codes right next to each other. Again a lot of time the scanner doesn't pick up the right bar code.

The DIAD V is smaller and lighter, and it will scan messed up bar codes, but for every improvement that was made there is at least two mistakes made in the new design.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

It was annoying to me because I thought it meant the thing was about to crash. I actually turned mine in as defective and had them give me a new one, which did the same damn thing. Now that I know its supposed to do that, I can ignore it. We learn something every day!

oldupsman

Can someone please post a picture of the clip attachment? We were told they aren't available yet, and the holster seems to get in the way of the seatbelt.
Also would someone be kind enough to post a picture of Diad V.
This old package guy is just curious.