New Diad

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Duh, the current scanners of both FX & UPS have that capability. These next-generation scanners are also phones.

DiadDude

Duh, the current scanners of both FX & UPS have that capability. These next-generation scanners are also phones.
To say that it must have a front facing camera because it is a cell phone implies that it is just a Samsung phone in a big case. It is not. It is able to be used as a phone, but for that matter so has every DIAD since the 3. We just don't buy them voice plans.

clean hairy

Waiting for the big test.
Will it hold up or break into pieces when smacking a charging dog on the head with it?
The first diad Rod used (a stone tablet) was the best defense against an angry dog.

WayBill

Like my iPhone XS, looks like it'll be difficult to use with one hand now! Should still fit in my back pocket. Dynamic ORION will be interesting. How can you not love the simplistic stupidity of the DIAD mapping/cradle? Area knowledge is still king! toggle!, Toggle!!, TOGGLE!!! Looks like that'll still be an option. No downloading EDD? Interesting. No dispatcher? What about add cuts? Probably just bring in what you don't finish under 9.5 & have a 22.4 do it, or in our smaller center without 22.4's, hand it off to some lower seniority schlep. Touchscreen? Without gloves, could be good. With? Thumbs down most likely.

WayBill

Now that they are installing DIAD V holders/chargers for turn by turn, there won't be a DIAD VI for years.

We are being required to holster the damn thing to initiate NAV every stop. Another pointless metric to chase since there's only 35,439,110 other metrics we chase. AND,Orion is being pushed harder than ever in its 7 year history we're being told. 90% going forward.

For those that don't have the navigation yet, this changes the dynamic of the job more than anything before it. It now makes you feel like a robot behind the wheel not wanting to think about anything. Especially since it's being forced 100%. A totally mind-numbing experience.
I'm all for the guys that wanna run ORION like a robot, I do it on some routes. You can still run the route your way by toggling while using the map nav cradle. I do that on some routes too. Area knowledge is still king! #game

OrioN

Charging docks should help but not for dense routes where u constantly remove it from the cradle.

Lucky u brownies still have a physical keyboard... I just got our next-generation scanner recently and made a thread about it on the eggplant side

OrioN

I'm all for the guys that wanna run ORION like a robot, I do it on some routes. You can still run the route your way by toggling while using the map nav cradle. I do that on some routes too. Area knowledge is still king! #game

That's what I'm doing on the purple side... I highlight the next stop that I choose & go...

the navigation isn't great, but it's sufficient for the cover or swing drivers.

Area knowledge trumps, I'm saving 2 hours/ day on the average on my rural route & that helps on the purple side since FXG is not hourly

Heavy Package

Half our Diad cradles are broken or don't work already. There are so many copper pins that need to connect that break off or get bent. Many Diads need to be "jiggled" in the holder to connect and work. There needs to be a larger screen like a GPS that is fixed in each truck that talks to the Diad in a regular holder. Removing the Diad each time is also difficult as it "sticks" in the holder. Last rant is why such an effort on Diad cradle usage? If you know the route, you don't need map nav and should be able to use any Diad holder you want.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Half our Diad cradles are broken or don't work already. There are so many copper pins that need to connect that break off or get bent. Many Diads need to be "jiggled" in the holder to connect and work. There needs to be a larger screen like a GPS that is fixed in each truck that talks to the Diad in a regular holder. Removing the Diad each time is also difficult as it "sticks" in the holder. Last rant is why such an effort on Diad cradle usage? If you know the route, you don't need map nav and should be able to use any Diad holder you want.
Bc the company spent a lot of money on it and you better dang well use it buster.

Staydryitsraining

All of ours work. It's nice I think. Why they have them is common sense. Anyone can get in the truck and run the route now. They will clearly say we can hit more stops now. My question is, will the new diad fit these cradles or did they just waste all the money to install them just to replace them.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
All of ours work. It's nice I think. Why they have them is common sense. Anyone can get in the truck and run the route now. They will clearly say we can hit more stops now. My question is, will the new diad fit these cradles or did they just waste all the money to install them just to replace them.
If the Orion is set up, then maybe anyone can get in. My cradled Diad wanted me to turn left through a concrete barrier on a divided highway wth a 55 MPH speed limit. These things do not really help anyone, lol.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Well don't keep us on suspense. Did you turn?

0A6EB89B-D30E-44A6-8D8E-CDCB7FDADC74.gif

Heavy Package

Does anyone not get the stupidity of this company? They say we are all overpaid, any idiot now can do this job blah blah blah and then some hapless 22.4 driver gets in the truck and the map nav doesn't work or dies after 60 stops. The call to the sup looks something like this...

upload_2019-9-23_18-53-35.jpeg