New Directive on Cutting Hours

vantexan

See, you're looking at it from your level..only 2 pkgs. You need to look at the big picture, 120,000/day is nothing to sneeze at. 21 operating days in May.....that's 2,520,000 less pkgs than last May.....so yeah, we need to cut some hours. All the other costs are pretty much fixed and already in the budget......it's the OT and extra hours onroad that aren't.

I'm looking at it from the perspective that we're always the ones expected to suck it up and do without. Can't touch the profit margin, must maintain it to keep the stock price up. Just how many pkgs are being shipped overnight with Ground now?

We were told last week that there will be some route restructuring starting this week. I've had some slow weeks on my rt lately too. Route goals are being adjusted, leave building times being enforced. I know it's inevitable, but knowing I'll be getting less hours and thus less pay is all the worse because they've held my pay down while inflation is ramping up. So yeah, I'm looking at it from my perspective. How long can I hang on to a job that makes it tough to just hang on?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm looking at it from the perspective that we're always the ones expected to suck it up and do without. Can't touch the profit margin, must maintain it to keep the stock price up. Just how many pkgs are being shipped overnight with Ground now?

We were told last week that there will be some route restructuring starting this week. I've had some slow weeks on my rt lately too. Route goals are being adjusted, leave building times being enforced. I know it's inevitable, but knowing I'll be getting less hours and thus less pay is all the worse because they've held my pay down while inflation is ramping up. So yeah, I'm looking at it from my perspective. How long can I hang on to a job that makes it tough to just hang on?

Fred's always anxious to strain the geese that lay the golden eggs.

He oughta' try cutting back padding politician's pockets and do without Nascar racing while he's at it. Two totally unnecessary expenses which are just the tip of the iceberg. That would help considerably. Why should the hourlies ALWAYS have to suck it up?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Fred's always anxious to strain the geese that lay the golden eggs.

He oughta' try cutting back padding politician's pockets and do without Nascar racing while he's at it. Two totally unnecessary expenses which are just the tip of the iceberg. That would help considerably. Why should the hourlies ALWAYS have to suck it up?

Because they will, with absolutely zero repercussions.

Kevinmevin

How many Express couriers are there? 60,000? More? At 60,000 that's 2 pkgs less a day per courier. Not the end of the world. And how much volume is Ground down? Or is it up? Could it be that FedEx is cannibalizing Express a bit with Ground? It seems with the closing of stations and even district offices FedEx anticipated the volume drop. And now is expecting the workforce to help pay for it. Just like Zap Mail. Just like healthcare. And most recently with accidents. And every downturn that comes along. And let's not forget our sacrifices for pay and pension.
I can speak on ground volume in respects to the big socal hub in rialto/bloomington,ca. We are definitely down big time in volume. I'm only getting 2 hours and some times less a day as a package handler. And we are averaging 16k to 25k a day on the sunrise sort.

Also apparently I've heard from some of the service managers that in june most salaried managers are going hourly in our hub.

vantexan

I can speak on ground volume in respects to the big socal hub in rialto/bloomington,ca. We are definitely down big time in volume. I'm only getting 2 hours and some times less a day as a package handler. And we are averaging 16k to 25k a day on the sunrise sort.
Also apparently I've heard from some of the service managers that in june most salaried managers are going hourly in our hub.

I guess as long as the economy is weak we'll just have to accept whatever happens. It's frustrating after 12.5 years making so much less than top-out which makes it tough to get by when there's belt tightening. And knowing even if times get better our pay won't improve much. They've got haves(who don't have alot) and have-nots. Tired of being a have-not.

It doesnt matter what the volume is at my place, we still take way to long to push out very little because everyone is so concentrated on talking about who won a basketball game or what kind of shoes their going to wear tomorrow and the managers are so pusillanimous whipped they cant keep their eyes off their cell phone for 2 seconds to tell someone to do their job. But I dont care because "I get paid by the hour not the box" and I get to do double shifts pretty much whenever I want so i guess being a hard worker does pay off.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I guess as long as the economy is weak we'll just have to accept whatever happens. It's frustrating after 12.5 years making so much less than top-out which makes it tough to get by when there's belt tightening. And knowing even if times get better our pay won't improve much. They've got haves(who don't have alot) and have-nots. Tired of being a have-not.

Not 12.5 continuous years though, right?

I'm probably younger than you (iirc you are 40s) , but I have worked for near 12 (maybe 11) companies and in three unions in 17 years and in retrospect, all of the non-union jobs were by far the easiest to leave or turn down.

There are so many trucking companies out there, why not switch? At least in this area, I see quite a few job openings.

vantexan

Not 12.5 continuous years though, right?

I'm probably younger than you (iirc you are 40s) , but I have worked for near 12 (maybe 11) companies and in three unions in 17 years and in retrospect, all of the non-union jobs were by far the easiest to leave or turn down.

There are so many trucking companies out there, why not switch? At least in this area, I see quite a few job openings.

I started May 1st, 1986, quit in July 1997. Rehired Nov 29th, 1998. So 12.5 years since rehired. Coming up on 24 years on the clock. As I've explained before, was working on getting a decent pension when they terminated the pension plan and the economy tanked. At 49 now, not looking to start over anywhere, just dealing with it until 55 when I can take a reduced pension and leave. I'm not happy about the pay, but doubt I'd walk into $17.64hr starting out at another company so it is what it is.

SmithBarney

FT'rs are taking a hit at our STA, PT's hitting 6 everyday. We have 3 new drivers starting, 2PT one FT... they are aiming to cut OT at all costs... even if it means running more workers than we have work for... Maybe a few of the 25+'res will retire soon...

snackdad

At my Northern California station, the start time was manipulated daily to shave hours. One day instead of 0720 it was 0740, then 0745, even one day when it was 0800. Bad move, had 70 station lates that day and senior had a conference call over that one. Now the schedule is left alone at least for this week. I hear that in some Northern station, managers are getting decision days if productivity goals are not met. They call this a "people company"!!!!
By the way, our station, everyone pushed to the limit everyday and most working through part of their unpaid breaks is a focus station due to an abysmal safety record. We have one of the worst safety records on the West Coast, I wonder why.
First day of new budget also an injury on the belt. When you push people everyday watching every second and screaming at them, something has to give. It is now us versus them more than any other time. The war on the career courier who safely make a decent wage is in full swing. Either expect it to get worse or perhaps the whole house of cards will fall. Seems like Glen Corbin in Southern California is keep Memphis happy by keeping us unhappy.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
When you push people everyday watching every second and screaming at them, something has to give. It is now us versus them more than any other time. The war on the career courier who safely make a decent wage is in full swing. Either expect it to get worse or perhaps the whole house of cards will fall.

Same at my Sta.
I've never seen morale so low. Something bad is gonna happen.

Only a matter of time.